I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji PULS reel seat
Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 04, 2018 08:24AM

Bear with me, I'm not a casting rod guy, doing one for a friend, and this stuff is making my head spin! He has request a fuji PULS seat. I believe it requires some type of an insert, but I'm not certain if its the same as the PTS inserts. Please help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji PULS reel seat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 10:13AM

Here are the PULS reel seats:

[www.mudhole.com]

If you note, the two reels on the right side of the listing are for a hidden hood nut. i.e. the fore grip has the interior enlarged and the fore grip is glued to the reel seat only. i.e. the fore grip is NOT glued to the reel seat. It needs to be free to turn with the reel seat nut.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 03:05PM

The PULS reel seat has a 16 mm ID and thus will use the same insert as the Fuji PTS seat which also has a 16 mm ID. These inserts have a foam core and can be reamed to fit the blank. So the insert is glued into the seat, cleaned up, and when dry reamed to fit the blank. Can use either the Fuji inserts ( [www.mudhole.com] ) or the CFX inserts ( [www.mudhole.com] ).
Norm

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 04, 2018 06:06PM

Norman, you hit the nail on the head, thanks my friend. Thank You too as well Roger.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 09:08PM

is there just one spacer, placed in front of exposed portion of the seat? no spacer in back?

Date: January 06, 2018 12:36PM

ok, got it..why even bother having a cut-out if your not touching the actual blank and really these cut-outs don,t increase sensitivity, it,s only a gimmick.

Date: January 06, 2018 01:12PM

Ben, Ok, now I understand your first question about the spacer. Yes, the insert fits inside the reel seat and tthrough the finger cut out. This setup is sort of a trade off between cosmetics, function and ease of use. The insert is very light and hard and does a good job of transmitting vibration, much like carbon fiber foam core grips do. Once in place it is a simple matter to ream the grip to fit the blank, so the insert also serves as an arbor. Because of this you do not have fuss with getting the right sized blank exposed reel seat to properly fit on the blank where you want it. Finally, these reel seats look good with the exposed insert. This insert does not need to be carbon fiber, some will turn acrylic or wood inserts, or other things for unique customized looks. It is not a gimmick, but rather another way to make a custom rod custom.
Norm

Date: January 06, 2018 01:49PM

thanks Norm..if i wanted to i could easily just use a 16mm flex coat foam spacer for the whole seat and ignore the cut-out, maybe just color it. i like the idea of moving the trigger back so that we can easily palm the reel.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2018 09:45AM

Those things are pretty slick. And I love the idea of the easy to ream foam core center of the inserts. The aesthetic possibilities you get using the Perfect Fit inserts, and trim pieces is awesome as well.

I am a huge fan of the Alps MVT reel seat, but the IDs of the last two I've ordered, have not even been close to their advertised dimension. In both cases I had to return the seats I was shipped, and exchange them for the next size smaller. With these Fuji seats you don't have that possibility. I like it! This is definitely a seat I'll be giving a try in the future.

And Ben, I like that idea of using a foam spacer and coloring it. That opens up even more possibilities! Not just with these seats, but with other types of seats as well. Thanks for posting that!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 07, 2018 01:56PM

Ben, It is also possible to glue in the arbor as you said just above, ream it to fit, then carefully cut the unnecessary arbor areas from the the cuttouts in the seat. This exposes the actual blank once again. This can be a little tricky, but I have done it on similar seats.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 07, 2018 02:12PM

Just looked at 9 different photos of PULS seats from 2 sources and not one shows the actual cutout! Gotta love it.

Date: January 07, 2018 08:30PM

yes, i noticed that it doesn,t show up in pictures..there doesn,t seem to be much to it and using a nice insert looks like a waste..that,s why i was considering the flex coat arbor.

Date: January 07, 2018 09:43PM

I agree I have not seen a picture of it with the insert. I have never used a PULS reel seat before, so I am assuming it is like the PTS and requires a 16 mm insert.since they both have the same ID.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2018 12:45PM

Not sure about that. Hold please.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2018 12:52PM

Right Norm the SCSPTS17 carbon tube fits PULS17

Date: January 08, 2018 01:11PM

Thanks Jim! Much appreciated.
Norm

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster