I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite rods in SUB freezing temps
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 04:17PM

Does fishing in single digit temps have any adverse effect on graphite rods. Not sure if I would be out in that but I had a customer ask me and I wasn't real sure what to tell him.

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite rods in SUB freezing temps
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2018 04:33PM

Not that I know of, and back in my younger days I have been out fishing for steelhead when the stream bed had anchor ice on it, and the guides would freeze closed about every 20 minutes. Couldn't tell you what the temp was, but it was well below freezing. No ill effects to my rod. Can't say the same thing about me though lol

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 05:49PM

NO the only thing that affects them at sub temps that I know of is the car door or the tail gate LOL
the guides if whacked to remove the ice will crack or shatter that is where a good hand warmer comes in handy to have

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 02, 2018 06:27PM

I've fished my share of single digit days, and never noticed a change in the blank. If you ever fish a rod with Recoil's in single digit weather, you will notice they have a funny habit of sagging and then returning back to their former shape when they warm up.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2018 06:31PM

Carbon is very stable in cold temps. Aircraft couldn't use it otherwise.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 06:34PM

The aviation industry uses graphite materials, do you think they would if it couldn't take a beating under freezing conditions.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 06:34PM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 06:59PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: January 02, 2018 07:20PM

Great analogy Tom. I just never gave it a thought. I myself have never experienced a problem but didn't want to give my guy bad info. Thanks for all the replies

Date: January 02, 2018 08:14PM

It's probably just human nature to assume that a fishing rod would become brittle in very cold temps as this is the nature of so many things. But with carbon fiber it's not really the case. Your customer would be fine using his rod in cold temps.

Date: January 03, 2018 10:17AM

Thank you

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 03, 2018 02:21PM

Graphite rods do better in sub-freezing weather than do guides with inserts.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 01:44AM

While there are different origin types and grades of CF, I feel safe to say the fibers of any of them would not be adversely affected by human-survivable low temperatures. Absolute zero, or possibly even an LN-2 environment might be a different matter. What many fail to realize and utilize is the performance characteristics of the matrix itself, epoxy or others. Obviously, the aircraft, let alone aerospace, industries have it figured out, and I am quite certain, if not to a lesser degree, even rod blank manufactures have it figured out as well.
All these epoxies and other resins are basically plastic. We are all aware that some plastics are soft and limber while others are stiff and brittle. The majority are designed to perform between approximately 20*F and 150*F, and he prices begin to soar when looking outside that range. The scenario is similar with catalyzed, liquid epoxy and other resins utilized in the composite industry, in which rod blank manufacturing is a proud member. I am certain the reputable rod blank manufacturers utilize epoxies which are suitable for any human-survivable temperature.
As a side note and for your information, allow me to mention an epoxy issue which has been stated here on the rodboard before, in which I am in agreement and which may prove very useful to the custom rod builder. BASICALLY, the faster the cure time of an epoxy the more brittle the cured result will be and, inversely, the slower the cure time the more flexible it will be in addition to ultimately more stable and generally tougher. Try leaving the same amount of regular and high build thread finish of the same brand in the bottom of separate mixing cups, pop them out after cured and see if you do not agree. I avoid all types of fast-setting epoxies and when producing any composite structure utilize laminating epoxy with a minimum 2-4 hour pot life rather than the 20-45 minute types such as West Systems, Maas or System Three.
~ >*))))))><{

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 04, 2018 07:43AM

Mark,

Good think Mr. O'Quinn isn't here to read your remarks on the cure time of an epoxy - that was one subject that nearly always got him riled up. Actually, cure time has very little to do with whether or not an epoxy will be "brittle." The difference is actually within the grade of components used in such epoxy. There are many quick cure epoxies that are not brittle, but quite elastic. You might do a search here for more information under Ralph O'Quinn's name. Ralph was one of the early chemists at Boeing and helped devise many of the epoxies and epoxy systems still in use in the aerospace industry today. He has written many times, both here and in the magazine, on epoxies and their characteristics.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2018 12:04AM

I forgot to go put the capitalized “BASICALLY” in bold, italics and underlined. I certainly agree the epoxies utilized, if not custom made for, the aircraft industry (apparently with Mr. Quinn’s input) along with those used within other structural composite industries (which I have, admittedly to a lesser degree, been asked for personal input) are very specialized and have been developed for specific applications. Most of those epoxies require extremely precise mixing ratios, some by volume, others by weight, and are also extremely sensitive to their curing environments. Such is USUALLY not the case for epoxies manufactured for the masses and available at Home Depot, hobby stores and the likes. I would never offer attempting to help those on the Rodboard, many who have helped me so much, by affording information and insight which was NOT gathered though consistent, repeated experience.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mat Peirce (---.dvnp.qwest.net)
Date: January 08, 2018 02:59PM

Fiberglass on the other hand is a bit stiffer as the temperature drops. You can use carnuba wax on guides to help with the freezing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster