I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA grip/handle.
Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2017 04:15PM

I dredged up a rod in the lake and the cork is deteriorated. It's a basspro extreme casting rod with the funny reel seat. It looks like the Fuji ACS one. What I'm asking is how to put the EVA on with the rod blank coming out of the bottom of the reel seat instead of the center. The blank measures .475 at the butt. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA grip/handle.
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 29, 2017 07:31PM

From the information received thus far this was a seat may have been from a Bass Pro powerhump handle and therefore made for BPS and not available to the public. They are indeed a funny transition from the seat to the rear grip. I don' think it's a Fuji ACS. and the eva may require some creative cutting. What does the buttcap look like. It may accept the XPS weight kit. Pics would help.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2017 07:40PM

Look in your favorite sponsor site and select the grip style you like, remove the cork grip till you have the cork down to the EVA grip's ID, slip on the new grip to ensure it fits, than smear on epoxy and install the grip. Spin the grip to ensure you get good coverage and install the butt cap.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2017 08:17PM

I am not sure what reel seat you are talking about. I know that bass pro shop casting rods have used a number of different reel seats over the years but cannot think of one where the blank comes out from the bottom of the seat. The only thing that comes to my mind is the reel seat used with the power hump handles. It had more of an oval shape than round when looked at in cross section.
I do not do a lot of retrofitting EVA grips on rods but have done a bunch of Winn Grips. I ream them so there is a snug fit with the end of the rod, then wiggle the handle forward to the seat. In many cases the grip will be a little loose at the seat end, so to snug everything up I add a layer or two of dry wall tape then glue the grip in place. Never had a problem with anything coming loose. I am sure you can do the same thing with an EVA grip. If you use an oversized Eva grip you may be able to sand the grip down by hand to counteract any reel seat off set. Also anothetr problem with a lot of the bass pro reel seats is the the rear end is angled rather than being squared off like most other reel seats. If this is the case than you will need to match the angle so the EVA fits flush against the reel seat. Another option, which I think is the best, is to just remove the old reel seat and replace it with a new one. The Fuji ECM seat is pretty inexpensive and works great. Since the rod was in the water for a while, i assume you are planning on completely stripping the rod and rebuilding. So replacing the reel seat would make everything a little easier.
Norm

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.gwnt.ga.charter.com)
Date: December 29, 2017 08:35PM

Lynn has the right reel seat. It's round and the blank comes out of the bottom of the reel seat. Yes it has the weight system which I will use. I'm thinking about using a large piece of EVA and drilling it off center. The blank sort of cleaned up and the guides and wraps are serviceable. It won't look like a new rod but it'll catch fish.

Date: December 29, 2017 09:14PM

Please provide more info, how long is the rod, how many and what style (double foot single foot guides does it have)? Some of these rods were of excellent quality. Can you read any of the decals with info? Seats might be able to be trimmed off at the rear to make them perpendicular to the blank thus making it easier to match up to the eva, not sure. Help me out a little!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 12:22AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.gwnt.ga.charter.com)
Date: December 29, 2017 10:05PM

The rod is 6 1/2' mh BassPro Extreme. I'm not with the rod but I think it has 4 double foot and 4 single foot guides. I'm going to leave the fore grip off. I won't see the rod for about 3 months so I'm not in a hurry.

Date: December 30, 2017 03:23PM

I refurbed 3 Rick Clunn signature series 7 footers (same general family) last winter by removing the fore grips,cutting excess threads off the seats, using no foregrip winding checks, removing the guides and rewraping them in a more modern fashion. The heavy (Carolina rig model ) started with a double ft.16 butt guide. I was able to save quite a bit of weight. These all had Fuji sic guides.( Not sure about the extremes as they were a bit cheaper when new.) Any way, I left the rear grips alone as I didn't want to mess with the powerhump or the weight system. In a way you can be glad you lost the cork as it is some of the poorest I've ever seen. The front of the foregrips had a heavy aluminum winding check. If you have this and want to remove it you can cut down into it (not thru it!) very carefully with a dremmel cutting wheel parallel with the blank on opposite sides, put a flat screwdriver in one of the resulting slots, give it a twist and the check will split. This is dangerous dremmel territory. Have fun, I get more enjoyment from this type of project than a new build. Wish I could help with the rear of that seat, but I've never seen one without the cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster