I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Stiffness
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2017 12:43PM

In as few words as possible. I'm a golf club maker. Using graphite shafts from different makers a huge difference between stiff, regular and so fourth. Is this true with rod blanks I own a frequency machine which allows me to compare by numbers. Is this something that's being done?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Stiffness
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2017 12:48PM

mostly done with deflection and load testing

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2017 01:03PM

Sort of yes - the Common Cents system to the left in the sponsor column provides a means for objectively comparing power, action and speed of any blank to any other blank. Only two or three manufacturers use it, however.

There is also a frequency component that doesn't require any special equipment but still fulfills the role of providing relative frequency (speed) comparisons from blank to blank.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2017 01:58PM

Jeffrey

You've hit on one of the near "black hole" issues for rod building. Only a few manufacturers publish quantitative descriptions using CCS or other objective measurers. It leaves us in a quandary for which the cure is experience (expensive) or the opinions of others (sometimes helpful but always subjective).

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2017 04:58PM

I'm assuming you're talking about the named power ratings (light, medium, medium heavy etc ...) used by blank manufacturers? If so, then while it seems to me that many manufactures use the same (or close) named power for blanks with the same specs, there are manufacturers that don't.

For instance, I built on a blank with a named power rating of "medium heavy". This particular blank is rated for weights of 3/8 - 1 oz. From what I've seen, most blank manufacturers would label a blank with those specs, as a "heavy" power.

Then you have the fact that the words "medium, medium heavy, etc .... have different meanings based on what category the blank would fall under. Medium heavy power for a bass blank would be 1/4 - 3/4 oz. While a medium heavy power saltwater blank may be rated for 1 - 3 oz weights, or more. It can be very confusing.

And while CCS certainly allows a quantifiable comparison, there is still, (as I imagine there is in a golf club) the element of feel involved in the rod's (or club's) use.

Date: December 22, 2017 05:56PM

Frequency, either resonant frequency or relative CCF, provides a good modicum for the "feel" component.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 08:48AM

A gentleman by the name of Emory Harry used a photo transistor and oscilliscope to measure how different guides and amount of guides affected the frequency and time to return to rest of rods he was building. He wrote at least one article about it in Rod Maker magazine.
If you want to increase a blanks stiffness without adding weight or changing materials just increase it's diameter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 08:52AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 02:49PM

Hello Spencer.

I think the article you speak of is in V-8 I-3 Pg.-22.

It's Called "Guide Weight And Rod Performance".

Hope that helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2017 05:50PM

Thanks to all for help The CCS that Donald turned me on to is the ticket, it might be above my intellect though,ha.

Date: December 24, 2017 06:55PM

It's not above your intellect, nor that of anyone else. Don't worry too much about the dynamics behind it. Just use it like you would a tape measure. You don't need to know how the inch was derived - you only need to read the numbers it provides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster