I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Trim Problems
Posted by: TonyS (---.ascent.net)
Date: November 17, 2001 02:12PM

I want to build my next rod using standard nylon thread and metallic trim without color preserver. I want the transparent effect I get without CP, yet have the sharp metallic trim.

If I wrap such that the tag end of the metallic thread is held under the nylon thread, won't it show, when I epoxy the wrap?

I've tried using the "quick trim wrap" approach using instructions from a back issue of RodMaker. Using this technique you cut the trim and none protrudes under the nylon wrap. I do not have trouble forming the wrap, but it is structurally very, weak. I cannot pull it tight. It does not bind itsself like nylon. It almost falls apart on its own. I'd fear it would come apart just touching it with the brush while applying epoxy.

How do you achieve attractive, relatively thin (5 turns or less) metallic trim without using color preserver?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Trim Problems
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2001 05:49PM

The RodMaker method works well for me and I have no trouble pulling it tight. In fact the metallic threads seems to work better than the nylon in my case. Maybe the brand of metallic you are using doesn't lend itself to this type wrap. I don't know. Mine don't fall apart but I do lose one on occasion. Maybe one per rod. I like to put just a tiny drop of CP on the wrap tie down to keep it there when I apply the finish. Have never had one come loose on me that way.

If you put the metallic under the nylon and don't use CP then yes it will show through. About all you can do is to try and not have much under the wrap so there is very little to show. Then you can put it on the underside of the rod so the fishermen would not see it when the rod is in normal use.

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.wntck1.sfba.home.com)
Date: November 18, 2001 03:50AM

I don't have the back issue of Rod Maker that describes the "quick trim wrap." I'd like to be able to put in a few turns of metallic thread without the tag ends showing under the epoxy .no CP. Can you give me a brief explanation of the process?

Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 18, 2001 09:20AM

Without the help of photos it is almost impossible to do but I will try. Lay your finger parallel with the blank. Drape a section of thread several inches long along the finger. Now wrap the thread around the finger with your other hand. If you want a 2 thread width band, wrap it around twice. For a 3 band width, wrap it around 3 times. You should be winding so that you are winding back over the standing thread. Now take the tag end and pass it back through the 2 or 3 winds/loops you have made. Snug it all down tight. Slide it into place and carefully trim the tag ends.

Takes about 15 seconds to do and works well, but can be tricky until you learn it. Triming of the tag ends must also be done carefully and closely to get nice results.

Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: November 18, 2001 09:28AM

I've been having the same trouble with the quick trim band method. So, what I started doing is getting the thread as tight as I can, because like in the previous post it wanted to loosen up, and then using a bodkin I put just a tiny drop of fly tying head cement on the part where the thread crosses under it's self. It dries pretty quick and the trim band will stay in place. Haven't had any other problems with it so far. I hope someone may be able to add to this.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 18, 2001 09:50AM

That's certainly helpful if you are having trouble getting yours to stay together. You can also use a drop of color preserver if you plan on using it on the entire wrap later.

I think that once you have made several hundred of these trims, you seem to be able to do them almost by second nature. I trimed out a fly rod a few weeks ago while I was on the phone. Made something like 15 of these bands in less than 3 or 4 mintues I'd guess. Anybody can do it - it's just a function doing it enough times to get the hang of it.

By the way, this isn't something I invented - many rod builders have been using this method for many years now. It was shown to me about 20 years ago by a lady who did macrame or something. She was not a rod builder.

Posted by: RogerStg (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2001 02:55PM

This sounds something like making a nail knot on the blank using metalic thread. Is this so?
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: November 18, 2001 03:57PM

Very close. It certainly resembles that sort of knot.

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.wntck1.sfba.home.com)
Date: November 18, 2001 05:59PM

Thanks Tom .. I think I understand your description. I'll try it and see what happens. What issue of RodMaker describes the technique?

Wayne

Posted by: Solana (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: November 22, 2001 08:37PM

You should not have any problem with the idea your pointing !!!
Try it out !!! It worked for me !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster