I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rainshadow Immortal/Revelation inshore popping blanks
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.74.---)
Date: December 16, 2017 08:34PM

I asked on the Batson forums and even emailed them directly and nobody at Batson seems to have an answer to my question so why not ask here.

In the features list of the new Immortal & Revelation inshore popping blanks it says extra fast and fast actions are available but when you scroll down and look at the model info every single blank in both individual series shows they're all moderate fast actions . Not a single blank is listed as fast or extra fast in action so maybe they don't actually offer them in different actions and was wondering if it's a typo .

Comments welcome

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Immortal/Revelation inshore popping blanks
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 16, 2017 10:53PM

I personally like a more moderate action on a popping rod.
So maybe they/batson mean fast for a popping rod?
But i like their blanks
All actions and even worse their power ratings are relative to a manufacturer's marketing department.
Kind of like the 1500 or 150 on the side of a truck. Not really related to much.

Date: December 16, 2017 11:20PM

I had a feeling i was going to get a few " Moderate fast actions are preferable" responses lol. Thanks for trying to help Lou but i am exceptionally picky when it comes to my rods & reels and have a strong preference for fast & extra fast action rods for a wide variety of reasons .

I guess nobody really knows so i will need to search other blank makers to find what i'm looking for .

Thanks everybody

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2017 05:41AM

Herb,
I have built a lot of the Immortal and Revelation Inshore popping blanks and I agree that the action is fast, but not extra fast.

However, generally speaking the reason that a popping blank is used is for the purpose of fishing live bait. As a result, an extra fast blank for live bait is counterproductive.

If you want an extra fast blank, this is not the blank for you.

But, if you want a wonderful blank that catches by fish by the boat load, then for sure, this is the blank for you. All of the clients for which - I have built up rods on these blanks could not be happier. Really wonderful rods.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2017 07:57AM

Herb, I think I can shed some light on your question. The "features" heading under the Immortal line of blanks,as well as the Eternity, and Revelation blanks reads the same for every type of rod offered in those series of blanks. It's a general description of the blanks in that series, not a description specific to each model.

For instance, the features heading under the Revelation series reads the same for their casting rod blanks, and their crankbait rod blanks. I wouldn't expect a crankbait blank to have a fast or extra fast action.

Like you, I'm very picky about the action and power of the blanks I choose, but I don't care what the blank manufacturer labels it as. I built an excellent jerkbait casting rod, on a blank labeled as a spinning blank. As long as the action and power of the blank are what you're looking for, does it really matter if it's labeled a popping blank, or a spinning blank, etc?

The Immortal line of blanks are awesome blanks. I haven't built on a Revelation blank yet, but I have built on a blank from the RX7 series, (the Revelation is an upgraded version) and it is an excellent blank as well. Were I you, I would look at blanks in all the models offered and see if one fits what you're looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 07:59AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 17, 2017 08:50AM

Agree with David. I have built three of the IP843's, both when they were RX7's and now Revelations, and they are not fast actions, in my opinion. Their CCS action angles are around 65 degrees.

That blank is one of my favorites, very versatile. Especially good for cranks that are too small for casting outfits, also for snatching 3/16 oz darter head jig/4 " swimbaits off the bottom. The power and action are just right for these applications.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2017 12:18PM

Herb,
Some made x fast actioned popping rods in years past, Lamiglas XMG50, and the Rogue popping blanks come to mind, you can always build one out of a like powered hot shot blank to get what you want, the 7 1/2 ft. Rainshadows for instance.

Date: December 17, 2017 01:08PM

The "features" heading under the
> Immortal line of blanks,as well as the Eternity,
> and Revelation blanks reads the same for every
> type of rod offered in those series of blanks.
> It's a general description of the blanks in that
> series, not a description specific to each model.

Actually the " Eternity" blanks are offered in fast & extra fast actions just like the features list claims , each model is either fast or extra fast . The Immortal and Revelation series of blanks on the other hand also claim fast and extra fast actions are available but not a single one in either series in fast or extra fast . Every single one is moderate fast .

The only other blank that fits the bill is in the Steelhead series , 9 feet medium heavy power and fast action. Does anybody know how these blanks in the medium heavy and heavy power ratings compare to St.Croixs medium heavy power blanks ? I love Croixs medium heavy powered blanks and just wondering if the Rainshadow heavy models are more like Croix's medium heavy power .

Would also like to know if the Immortal series is planning on offering an 8 foot model like the Revelation series instead of ending at 7'6

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 17, 2017 02:53PM

I have no idea what makes a great "popping rod," or even what characteristics lead to a rod being called a "popping rod." From this string of posts one can see that "popping rods" range from the traditional moderate action to fast action to extra fast action to "hotshot" rods (with CCS action angles close to 90 degrees). Point blank has a blank they call their best ever popping cork blank, a seven foot three length blank that goes vertical on CCS before reaching 33 % deflection. It would seem to me that that kind of action would be the best for casting a popping cork with a fairly long leader that ends with the lure. Lively tip, yet it gets into the true power of the blank very quickly.

Date: December 17, 2017 02:53PM

Herb, as I tried to point out in my prior post, the features heading is not blank type specific. It's a generalization pertaining to the specific series it covers, not each specific model within that series. As far as what you're saying about the Immortal and Revelation series goes .... if you are talking strictly popping blanks, then yeah they're all listed as moderate fast actions. Otherwise they have actions from moderate, to extra fast depending on the series you're looking at.

When you mention there are only fast and extra fast actions in the Eternity series, it's because there are no popping or crankbait blanks in the Eternity line up. I suppose the "features" heading under the Immortal and Revelation series could be misleading? Perhaps if they left out the mention of actions?

As far as how Rainshadow's named power listings (not actual specs) compare to St Croix;s ..... I have no idea. I've never even picked up a St Croix rod. I will say that the Rainshadow blanks I've built on (only two specific blanks) all fish to their specs. For instance, I have built on an IMMC72MH, it's named power rating is medium heavy power. It's specs by any other manufacturer I have seen, would list a blank with similar specs, as heavy power. It's the same with the IMMC73ML I built on. Rainshadow calls it medium light power, any other manufacturer would call a blank with similar spces, medium powered.

I'm not trying to be a smart Alec, but I think you'd be better served by going by actual blank specs, rather than by what words a manufacturer uses to list the power of their blanks.

Anyhow ..... I hope you find the blank you're looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 02:56PM by David Baylor.

Date: December 17, 2017 03:33PM

When you mention there are only fast and extra fast actions in the Eternity series, it's because there are no popping or crankbait blanks in the Eternity line up. I suppose the "features" heading under the Immortal and Revelation series could be misleading.

Yes, the features list under the Immortal and Revelation series is definitely misleading , my mention of the Eternity series was only to point out that the features list in that series is actually accurate and not misleading . When a series says that fast and extra fast actions are available then they should be available but thats not the case with the Immortal and Revelation inshore blanks .

As far as paying attention to specs , nobody is more detail oriented than i am when it comes to blank spec's and i can assure you i went over every model with a fine tooth comb . I know of no better way, ( Other than buy one) than to listen to the words a manufacturer uses to explain their blanks and the blanks specific actions and power are of the utmost importance to me.

(The features heading is not blank type specific. It's a generalization pertaining to the specific series it covers, not each specific model within that series)

Some of the blank series ARE blank type specific and the features actually match up to the individual blank models in that series . The Immortal & Revelation series of inshore blanks don't but others do.

Anyway thanks for trying to help Dave.

Still looking for someone who has experience with the power ratings between St.Croix's MH models and Rainshadow's MH models and if they closely match or are very different

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2017 06:28PM

Rainshadow has what it has, if they do not have what you want then move to another brand. If you want to compare rod blanks go to a shop that sells the blanks you are interested and heft, wiggle and flex them to see which ones you prefer. If you have a chance, go to the EXPO in Feb. Every make and model of the blanks you mentioned, plus others, will be there for you to feel and flex; and also to buy at a discount. Since you are so particular about your rods I can not recommend any particular brands or models to you, because what I may like you may not. I have done intrinsic power determinations on a number of different 7’ medium power fast action blanks from different manufacturers for comparison purposes. I have found that the high end 7’ MF St Croix V, Rod Geeks C4, and Rainshadow Eternity blanks are similar to each other in intrinsic power. So I would imagine that their MHF blanks would also be similar to each other. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2017 07:32PM

I have found that from manufacturer to manufacture that what one is calling extra fast is fast to the other. Don't get stuck on the label "popping blank", casting or spinning. I have built many rods on both those blanks and they do have x-fast versions of both but they may not be calling it a popping blank or even x-tra fast. Norman is right; you have to physically see them for yourself somewhere. I will not buy a blank sight unseen, I want to see how much it actually weights, the actual power and the action. I know what is fast and extra fast or medium or whatever to me because it is your determination at the end that matters. Only after I have seen and held one will I buy them online.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2017 07:54PM

Lance is correct, there are mainy folks that use “saltwater popping” blanks for crankbait rods and mag bass and spin jig blanks for inshore. The St Croix sc3 inshore labeled fast are indeed fast action ccs angles around 70-75, they also have some moderate action for popping or treble hook lures.

If you want a fast action blank look at the Immortal bass cast or spin, SC inshore ,Point Blank or Pac Bay Quickline Popping. Also the mag bass American Tackle Bushido I handled feels like fast action and mainy use them for inshore.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2017 03:04PM

Herb, how long of blank are you looking for and what will you be fishing for?

Date: December 19, 2017 04:12PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb,
> I have built a lot of the Immortal and Revelation
> Inshore popping blanks and I agree that the action
> is fast, but not extra fast.
>
> However, generally speaking the reason that a
> popping blank is used is for the purpose of
> fishing live bait. As a result, an extra fast
> blank for live bait is counterproductive.
>
> If you want an extra fast blank, this is not the
> blank for you.
>
> But, if you want a wonderful blank that catches by
> fish by the boat load, then for sure, this is the
> blank for you. All of the clients for which - I
> have built up rods on these blanks could not be
> happier. Really wonderful rods.

Thanks Roger , i like stiff blanks throughout , need a rod to smoke small metals with a flick of the wrist . I DO NOT like blanks that bend easily into the mid section and i love a stiff tip. From what i see Batson does not offer a model that fits that description , Loomis, St. Croix & other blank makers offer models that fit that description however . I really would of liked to give Batson a try and i have no doubt people love them but none of their offerings fit what i do .

Appreciate the comments

Date: December 19, 2017 04:17PM

David Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lance is correct, there are mainy folks that use
> “saltwater popping” blanks for crankbait rods
> and mag bass and spin jig blanks for inshore. The
> St Croix sc3 inshore labeled fast are indeed fast
> action ccs angles around 70-75, they also have
> some moderate action for popping or treble hook
> lures.
>
> If you want a fast action blank look at the
> Immortal bass cast or spin, SC inshore ,Point
> Blank or Pac Bay Quickline Popping. Also the mag
> bass American Tackle Bushido I handled feels like
> fast action and mainy use them for inshore.

Thanks Dave , the Immortal Bass are too short in length for me , i love the SC inshore as it fits exactly what i do and they come in the 8 foot length medium heavy power and fast action , i also adore the tidemaster 8 foot medium heavy fast action blank , not familiar with the Bushido line and the Point blank is a little out of my price range.

Appreciate the comments

Date: December 19, 2017 04:22PM

Lance

(Don't get stuck on the label "popping blank", casting or spinning. I have built many rods on both those blanks and they do have x-fast versions of both but they may not be calling it a popping blank or even x-tra fast.)

Care to elaborate which Batson blanks are fast and stiffer in feel than others ? I was looking at the back bouncing rod because it looks to be stiff and fast but don't know how that will cast if used for other uses .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 09:20PM

It sounds like you are describing a Point Blank, they are all fast and faster with plenty of power, plus extremely light. Otherwise think about a hot shot blank, they are all extra fast, and have lots of power in the butt and mid section. These are made by a number of different manufacturers, including Rainshadow, find one in your price range and try it. In addition, Spin jig blanks are all fast to extra fast with lots of power in the midsection and butt.
Norm

Date: December 19, 2017 09:48PM

Herb, no offense meant, but IMO you really need to drop the power rating names, simply because the words mean differently powered blanks, even within the same manufactures offerings.

Case in point, and this is a blank you may be interested in. In Rainshadow's Revelation series under the swimbait heading. 7'11" medium heavy power, fast action. It's rated for weights from 2 - 6 oz.

In my book as a bass fisherman (and this is a blank most likely aimed at bass fisherman) a blank rated for 2 - 6 oz is not a medium heavy powered blank. 2 - 6 oz is considered a heavy powered blank in the RX 7 Saltwater line of blanks that Rainshadow offers. But it's called medium heavy power in a freshwater swimbait blank. The words just don't mean anything. It's the specs of the blank that matters.

Anyhow ...... from your recent description, the Revelation blank may fit the bill. Pretty much guaranteed that a fast action blank that is rated for 2 oz on the low side of its' weight range, is going to have a stiff tip. And with a 6 oz high side it's definitely going to have a substantial back bone.

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 09:57PM by David Baylor.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster