I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chesapeake Bay Trolling Rod Rockfish
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2017 06:50AM

Looking at building a bay rod for trolling. Main target will be stripers or rockfish depending on what you call them. I plan on using aluminum butts for the handle and reel seat and eva or carbon forgrips. I have some really well know rod builders around here, but they didn't seem to incline to help(They got burned before by an employee starting a company). They start with a RCLB or SWB batson blank. What I don't understand is these are all 7 foot or longer blanks. They cut them down, but where? and why? One piece of advise they gave me was, build and fish it. I will probably be using turbo guides on them with an acid wrap. Just wondering what blank to use and where to cut if needed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chesapeake Bay Trolling Rod Rockfish
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2017 04:44PM

I fish the Ches. Bay for rock. My go to for rock fish trolling blanks is the American Tackle AXGC60H. If you think it needs cut, I would recommend cutting more from the butt than the tip. Like if you want to cut 6 inches cut two from tip and four from butt. Try the blank, you will not be disappointed.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Date: December 14, 2017 08:33PM

Thats a 6 foot rod, I cant imagine cutting much off it.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: December 15, 2017 08:11AM

Correct. No need to cut it, but you had asked about cutting so I through that in there.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2017 09:33AM

For some reason a lot of the captains here on the Chesapeake like 5"6" rods. I agree that the 6ft is probably a good choice but if you wanted to cut it I would only take a couple of inches off the butt.

Date: December 15, 2017 04:16PM

I was wondering why you would start with a 7 foot rod and cut it down?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 15, 2017 05:32PM

Me too. There must be five thousand different blanks for sale. Seems like enough choices without having to experiment.

Date: December 16, 2017 06:15AM

What I think they might be doing is cutting the 12 inches or so off the butt that will be replace with an aluminum butt, then cutting the tip to there spec. This seams to me counterproductive on a composite blank.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2017 02:19PM

Just remember when using a aluminum butt, the outside diameter of the butt of the rod blank has to match the inner diameter of the ferrule of the aluminum butt.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.dnr.state.md.us)
Date: February 08, 2018 12:47PM

I made a whole lot of trolling rods for Chesapeake Bay fishermen, including several 7 rod sets for charter captains. Blank choice depends on what you're going to troll. A bunker spoon rod fishing mono and a rod designed to troll 12 oz of lead and an umbrella rig with wire line are two very different animals... Given that usually you are dealing with a lot of weight, short blanks are probably going to be the majority of your spread with maybe 1-3 longer rods for the middle of the spread fished further back with less weight. If you start with several 7' blanks, you can leave one full length for trolling spoons, cut one from the tip end for an umbrella rig rod, and cut one from the butt for trolling parachute rigs with less weight (as opposed to ordering three different blanks). For whatever reason- probably what they are used to more than anything- lots of charter captains wanted Lamiglas blanks. Everyone ended up loving slick butts for ease of use with rod holders.

If you give some more information on what you'll troll I can tell you what my clients liked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster