I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wrapping Female Ferrules - Specifically Mudhole
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.98.---)
Date: December 04, 2017 08:27PM

Matthew Paul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as I see it the blanks that have reinforced
> ferrules have a bulge where the male goes in to
> the female part of the blank and the ones that
> aren't reinforced do not have that just smooth to
> the end.
> that tell me that the MFG added strength to the
> female ferrule part of the tip and there would be
> no need to reinforce it with another wrap it would
> only be a decoration at best and added weight .
> just thinking about the differences in how
> different blanks from different mfg's

Actually theres no indication whatsoever on my CTS blank that it's ferrule is reinforced but i was assured that it is and needs no wrap. Of course i wrapped it anyway because i always do the opposite of whats recommended .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 08:30PM by herb canter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2017 08:59PM

There are various types of tip-over-butt ferrules. Some are "belled" and have that bulge which supposedly retains ore of a one-piece feel. The others have their tip sections enlarged over a longer area and do not have a one-piece counterpart model/feel. You wouldn't be able to see the reinforcement in either by eye.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 04, 2017 09:45PM

i think rod blank makers have got these ferrules down to a science..there are so many more rods with ferrules..they are not going to leave re-enforcing to someone else, especislly me.lol. i think the main thing is to keep ferrules clean..dirty or gritty ferrules don,t seat very well and soon come loose

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 04, 2017 10:05PM

If you do not want to wrap your ferrule don’t wrap it! If you want added security wrap it! These are the things that make a rod custom. Sometimes I think people can become almost anal about lightness, but that their choice.
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 04, 2017 10:17PM

there is a list of FMG. that don't require wrapping the ferrule ,  after saying that,  what year did they start it ? then the blank that you have, where will it fall ?  I just feel better wrapping  knowing that I wrapped it an will last   [I HOPE ] I just like to be careful

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2017 09:58AM

I have a St Croix 2 Pc ultra lite and A MHX 2 Pc ultralight i have caught hundreds of large crappie and the Occasional bass to 3 and 4 pounds on. My guide train layout made the ferrule wrap look uneven or odd to me so i didn't wrap the ferrules and i have had zero failure. If the ferrule wrap takes away from the geometrical look of the rod i would leave it off.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2017 12:38PM

I just make the point that whenever possible on a multi piece rod, that I place a guide on the joint and then wrap on the guide so I am wrapping both the guide and the joint at the same time.

Good luck

Posted by: jon tobey (98.99.251.---)
Date: December 05, 2017 01:10PM

I do that too. Otherwise, blank color without CP. But I never move a guide to make that happen.
Interestingly, I wrap them much closer to the edge than most photos I've seen. Seems if you don't protect the edge, what's the point?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 05, 2017 01:33PM

Hello Jon & Tom.

There are at least 2 articles which list what MFR's suggest for their ferrules.
The first one was V-11 / I-4 / Pg. 16 and has the least information of the two.
The second was V-18 / I-4 / Pg. 22 and has most of the MFR's listed with their recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: jon tobey (98.99.251.---)
Date: December 05, 2017 04:35PM

thank you!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2017 11:19PM

As of 7 years ago, Sage required a ferrule wrap. Gary Loomis says his blanks will hold up without a wrap, but he says a 1/4 inch wrap will never hurt. When I first got my first CTS spinning travel blank, the paperwork said ferrule reinforcement wraps were not necessary.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2017 10:33AM

Good morning, although there are a number of thoughts on this process we feel it is a good practice to wrap female ferules on multi-piece rods.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster