I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

performance and appearance
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 03, 2017 12:46PM

Do tournament casters mostly prefer painted blanks, finished blanks, or unfinished blanks for casting competitions? I imagine most tournament anglers use painted blanks to advertise their sponsors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: performance and appearance
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2017 03:05PM

Unfinished

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2017 03:14PM

Some of both, most unpainted.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2017 10:32PM

it mainly depends on their sponsors requirements for the $$$ they get for the advertising of the sponsors products be it rods reels line lures etc. when it comes to the rods most sponsors want them to have the retail product color/colors

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2017 02:34AM

"prefer painted blanks, finished blanks, or unfinished blanks for " casting " competitions?"

Mostly clear finish. Occasionally tinted finish.
Some small decals.
Some medium decals.
A lot of Pac Bay Minima guides are used.

There is very little sponsorship in distance casting competitions.

Don Becker

Date: December 04, 2017 09:23AM

Probably not much sponsorship in accuracy casing contests either - but these casting competitions are better indication of the quality of the rods being used than weighing the pounds of fish caught.

Date: December 04, 2017 10:21AM

Conoflex once told me that they only used clear finish so the customer could see the quality of their blanks. They continued on to mention that they were visited by a paint salesman who promoted the ability of the paint to be self leveling and hide imperfections in the blank. The salesman was nicely shown the door.

Distances cast are mostly a measure of the size, weight, and skill level of the caster. Then comes matching the power of the blank to the caster. And finally having reels tuned properly for the distances being cast.

Often a new caster will see a top caster reaching good distances with a brand x / model y blank and rush to buy what the master caster is using. The result is a decrease in his/her casting distance due to the blank over powering the caster.

Don Becker

Date: December 04, 2017 10:46AM

I have often seen average Joes use off-the-shelf rods and reels at distance/accuracy casting contests at numerous rod-and-gun club ponds. I'm not sure how much the rods they use determine the results, but I imagine as much as the tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment used by professional bass catchers.

Date: December 05, 2017 02:18PM

Hi Phil,

I was addressing distance casting competitions that used surf rods and conventional reels. At these tournaments, the caster, equipment, and weather conditions need to be optimum.

Rods are usually 13' 6' to about 14' 10", 2 piece with 50/50 or 60/40 split. Most are production run blanks.

Guides are usually taped on Minima with sizes running from 30 or 25 down to size 12. I made a hit in October with Fuji MNAG & LNAG guides wrapped with dark blue nylon (no trim)

Reels are the size of ABU 5500 and 6500. While some casters will pay $500 for a reel, good distances can be cast using reels costing about $150.

There are 4 sanctioned sinker sizes. 100, 125, 150, and 175 grams. 175 grams = 6 ounces

Will Nash is the top US caster in history. He is the first to hold the record in all 4 casting weights with all record casts over 800 feet. Back in February be broke the 800 ft barrier for 175 grams with a cast of 833 feet. I believe he was also the first to cast 100 grams over 800 feet.

Don Becker

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2017 04:52PM

800 feet???? MAN that is absolutely incredible.

That is truly launching a weight. Man oh man ......

Date: December 05, 2017 06:26PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 800 feet???? MAN that is absolutely incredible.
>

Well, he is number 1 in the US.

> That is truly launching a weight. Man oh man
> ......

It is my understanding that he has cast over 300 yards in practice.

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster