I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ice rod supplies
Posted by: Brandon Johnson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2017 01:08AM

Hi all,
I have been building mostly ice rods now for about a year. I have used almost all the major distributers (mudhole, Sportsmen's direct, Thorne bros ect.) to order most of my components. I like them all but some have there down falls, mudhole takes a VERY long time to ship, Thorne bros is kind of spendy, and no real issues with sportsmen's direct besides the lack of handle choices but they are very quick. I prefer to tape my reels on so they stay with that rod from year to year. Is there somewhere else I can get some nice 5-7 inch cork handles either in the straight or Tennessee handle style in a reasonable price range that ships fairly quickly in Minnesota? Also looking for a place that sells reasonably priced solid graphite ice rod blanks, I really like the sportsmen's direct line of blanks, just looking for another option.
Thank You,
Brandon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 01:11AM by Brandon Johnson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ice rod supplies
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 03, 2017 09:03AM

Jann's sells 1/8x1 1/8" cork rings (actual hole measured 5/32 in mine anyway) that you can make your own handles. Hard to find handles or cork rings that have less than a 1/4" hole in them...

Send me an email for some more information.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 02:56PM by Dan Ertz.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2017 10:44PM

hard to find most anything for handles with less than a 1/4 hole what you can do is buy bungs with no hole and drill/ream them your self
but no matter cork has sky rocketed in price and the days of 25 and 50 cent rings is just part of history
You might want to look in to using foam cores if they are available in a hole dia that would work for you,
there aren't to my knowledge that are less than 1/4 most are are even bigger.
If the Mfg. would offer smaller dia in foam cores and core handle components they would see an increase in sales as the fly rod builders would use then more so than cork because they are so much lighter and add more sensitivity to a rod handle.

Tom did you read my post you can tell the people that make these products to get on the stick so to say and add it to their product line

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2017 11:06PM

Plenty of foam cores for fly rods! I use 22 & 20 MM diameter with 1/4"holes, for coring wood grips. And the larger foam for shaping and covering with carbon fiber, also with 1/4" holes. Not many fly rods less than 1/4" dia.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 11:09PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 04, 2017 12:02AM

This Grip is 2 pcs that you glue together in the center, square it up cut to your length and glue. 7/8 od perfect for an ice rod. I have one here, It is bored 1/4 ID [www.jannsnetcraft.com] Or [www.jannsnetcraft.com] And if you need any thread their blowing out the Fuji polyneon 1 oz spools for $5.99, Good buy right their [www.jannsnetcraft.com] Cheers Jaa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 12:18AM by Jay Dubay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster