I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rotation direction for wrap finishing
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 01, 2017 03:29PM

During the recent Mudhole finishing demo on Facebook Chris mentions that he like the rod to turn with the guides coming up over the back towards him while applying finish. I have always done the opposite. I don't often finish under power, but in any case I turn the blank so that the guides are coming up from the bottom and going away from me over the top. Wondering what others do and (if you really feel like typing) perhaps why you might prefer whichever you use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rotation direction for wrap finishing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2017 03:37PM

I can't see why it would make any difference whatsoever, unless you're applying finish under power and prefer one direction as personal preference.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2017 03:59PM

Lynn, I do it with the rod turning the same direction as you do, with the blank turning away from me. I guess I do it that way because I think I can be more precise with the brush on top of the wrap and in full view, than I can if the brush were on the bottom of the rod.

Although to be honest, I've never tried it the other way. I suppose the advantage of the way "Chris" likes to do it, if there is one, is that you could see the brush going dry more easily, because you can see the intersection of the brush and wrap.

I have a few test wraps, thread coated with color preserver, and thread that isn't. I'll give his method a try. and see how I like it. But I think it's as Tom says .... it's gotta be a personal preference thing.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2017 04:39PM

Chris did mentioned that it was personal preference. So many aspects of custom rod building are just that. There is not a right or wrong. What works for one person, may not work for the other. Experiment and Test!!

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 04:41PM by Bob McKamey.

Date: December 01, 2017 05:03PM

Thanks Guys, I find it easier if the rod turns away because the finish is drawn off the end of the bristles at the top of the rotation and I can see it flow from the brush better. The other way I feel the wrap is coming at the end of the bristles. Then again, it could be just personal preference.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2017 02:12PM

Lynn,
I have a motor direction switch on my power wrapper.
I use the power wrapper for all of my wrapping as well as applying guide finish.
My thread and thread holder is behind the rod. As a result, I have the guides coming over the top of the rod with the thread first being wrapped on the top of the rod. i.e. if one were to look at the butt of the rod, the rod would be turning in a counter clockwise direction, since I prefer to have my power unit on the right side of my work station. I am left handed and find it more convenient to wrap with the power unit on that end of the rod.

But, if I were to apply finish with the top of the rod coming toward me, the finish would be coming toward me and the bristles of the brush would be coming toward me; which I don't like. Therefore, when applying finish, I flip the switch on the motor direction and I have to top of the rod going away from me for finish application. This means that I can have the tip of the handle toward me and the bristles of the brush will be going away from me which I found better to my liking when applying finish.

I typically apply finish with the rod rotating quickly at speeds of 50 - 200 rpm. Then, I slow to 6-10 rpm on the wrapper or on the drum dryer.

Good luck

Date: December 02, 2017 04:07PM

Roger, That is my brush orientation also. Can' t bring myself to do it any other way.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 02, 2017 09:20PM

it works best for me if the the top of the blank is going away from me , the reason is I can see the area I want to cover before it gets to the applicator , an I can try to catch it before
it gets to it not after , I apply my flex coat at a slow speed , so I can see it go on ,

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster