I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fujis independent lab results on new CC Frames
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 29, 2017 12:38PM

We recently received the results of an independent lab study from FUJI® comparing the corrosion properties of the new CC treated frames versus five of the most recognized competitors. Fuji® has usually done their testing in-house since they generally compare their products against a generic metal or ceramic. The CC treatment has changed all that. To really show the advantages of CC, Fuji® felt it was important to test and compare CC against other competitors.

Fuji® has been very specific in letting us know how we could present this information. We will not use brand names or show images of the various corrosion levels of tested products. The test was conducted by a highly respected industrial testing firm that works mostly in the automotive industry and offers a variety of tests on many different materials. Corrosion testing is common in the automotive industry and all tests were CASS tests performed according to JIS Z2371 (2015) Japanese Industrial Standards.

Testing Temperature: 50±2 C
Spray conditions(1 cycle): Salt spray for 8hrs followed by a 16hr drying period.
Duration of testing: 20 cycles. Each cycle was equivalent to 6 months of salt spray in a coastal environment.

Fuji tested Matte Silver (CC) and Dark Grey (BC) Fuji guides against competitive guides of very similar design. One manufacturer offered both matte silver and matte gunsmoke - both of which were tested. Other brands tested were 304 and 316 stainless in standard (shiny) finish. Total 6 guides plus 2 Fuji® guides. All guides were “off the shelf”.

After 3 cycles (the equivalent of 18 months in saltwater coastal conditions) 5 of the 6 competitive guides had obvious signs of corrosion on the ring frame as well as the feet. Most were showing orange oxidation while one showed green “chalking” on both the foot and ring frame. The competitor faring best showed a mottled darkening along the ring frame and on the frame legs but had not shown any classic corrosion. Both Fuji products remained corrosion free and showed no sign of discoloration.

By 20 cycles (the equivalent of 10 years in a salty environment!) all 6 guides showed significant corrosion, with some rings appearing to be near failure and others streaming orange stains under the thread (white was used, which became clear when coated for observation) and onto the white, non-reactive PVC tubing they were wrapped on. Green pitting corrosion had traveled from the ring frame down both legs and onto the foot of others. Both Fuji® CC and BC treated guides showed NO SIGN of any type of corrosion.

Per Fuji’s request we can’t show you the “other” guides but if you would like to see the CC and BC guides used in the test..here they are after 10 (equivalent) years without a single freshwater rinse.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fujis independent lab results on new CC Frames
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 29, 2017 02:07PM

Bought a bunch of both the CC and BC KR guides and matching tip tops for both casting and spinning when they first became available. I like them, and may never buy titanium guides again.
Norm

Date: November 29, 2017 05:06PM

35% lighter than stainless...just sayin'

Date: November 29, 2017 05:58PM

Yeah, but 250% more expensive...just sayin'!
Norm

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 29, 2017 06:05PM

Jim, Mudhole lists a black titanium frame in the k series, but they're always out of stock. Will these be readily available anytime soon?

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2017 07:32PM

Looks like the new frames is a home run.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.86.---)
Date: November 29, 2017 09:20PM

Corrosion is one aspect of guides that mean nothing to me because i have never had any Fuji guide show any corrosion in decades of salt water fishing . Of course i do rinse tackle in fresh water but if there are anglers out there that never wash their equipment than this is obviously a good thing . I am very interested in Jim's comment of 35% lighter but not at Norman's comment of it being a much higher expense .

Sounds like i'm sticking with my Fuji standard stainless .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 09:23PM by herb canter.

Date: November 29, 2017 10:42PM

Herb hope there was no misunderstanding, the corrosion control guides cost the same as the regular Fuji stainless steel K guides with Alconite rings. It’s a win win situation. If you are talking about the older Fuji Y and V guides, the Fuji K guides are really a step up in performance. yet are very similar in cost to these new corrosion control guides. Once I started using the KR guides, I stopped using the Fuji Y and V guides, except for repairs. They really are that much better. Jim and I were joking back to each, he was referring to titanium guides being 35% lighter, and I was referring to titanium frame guides being about 250% more expensive than the corrosion control guides.
Norm

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: November 30, 2017 09:50AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bought a bunch of both the CC and BC KR guides
> and matching tip tops for both casting and
> spinning when they first became available. I like
> them, and may never buy titanium guides again.
> Norm

Where did you get the guides? I'm receiving my order of KL-H, KBs, and LG tip tops in a few days, but was told it would be mid December before I saw my KT 5s. Ordered 11/3 and 11/14.

Date: November 30, 2017 10:16AM

We shipped T2 to Mudhole yesterday.

Date: November 30, 2017 10:18AM

Seth, which KT are you looking for?

Date: November 30, 2017 10:21AM

Correct Norm. Want to be very clear. There is NO increase in price for the CC or BC treated frames. We have kept them at regular stainless prices.

Date: November 30, 2017 12:22PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> Herb hope there was no misunderstanding, the
> corrosion control guides cost the same as the
> regular Fuji stainless steel K guides with
> Alconite rings. It’s a win win situation. If you
> are talking about the older Fuji Y and V guides,
> the Fuji K guides are really a step up in
> performance. yet are very similar in cost to these
> new corrosion control guides. Once I started
> using the KR guides, I stopped using the Fuji Y
> and V guides, except for repairs. They really are
> that much better. Jim and I were joking back to
> each, he was referring to titanium guides being
> 35% lighter, and I was referring to titanium frame
> guides being about 250% more expensive than the
> corrosion control guides.
> Norm

Yeah , i was confused over the much lighter thing , didn't know it was a joke lol. If the new CC is the same price as the stainless thats definitely a win win.

Date: November 30, 2017 08:46PM

Seth, I got my Fuji corrosion control guides from the Rod Room. As far as I know they were the first to get these guides. The girls at the Rod Room are great and they get their orders out very fast. They are just down the rod from Anglers Resource so if they run out they can get them quickly resupplied.
Norm

Date: November 30, 2017 09:49PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> Seth, I got my Fuji corrosion control guides from
> the Rod Room. As far as I know they were the first
> to get these guides. The girls at the Rod Room are
> great and they get their orders out very fast.
> They are just down the rod from Anglers Resource
> so if they run out they can get them quickly
> resupplied.
> Norm

The Rod Room huh , excellent, because i have been extremely disappointed by a few of the larger rod building suppliers who are sponsors on this board with not only the cost of shipping but how ridiculously slow they take to get your order out . Sometimes you just got to let the girls handle it .

Thanks Norm

Date: November 30, 2017 11:32PM

Herb and Seth, when I ordered the corrosion control guides form the Rod Room they did not have the matching size 4.5 ring LG tip tops listed so they special ordered them for me, and I got them pretty quickly. If they still are not listed, email or call them they will get it done. When I ordered a Point Blank from them a while back, I got the rod the next day could not believe it.
Norm

Date: December 01, 2017 01:36AM

Wow , the next day , got to be pleased with that . Super fast shipping is a BIG factor when it comes to deciding who to order from so i will try the Rod Room for sure.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (107.72.164.---)
Date: December 01, 2017 08:45AM

Jim Ising Wrote:
> Seth, which KT are you looking for?

I'm looking for the KT5s in the CC frames. I might have to check out the Rod Room. Thanks guys!

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.75.---)
Date: December 01, 2017 10:26AM

Aside from ridiculously fast shipping they communicate very well. The Rod Room is always my first choice.

Date: December 01, 2017 11:02AM

Everybody has ordered...Rod Room has CCKTAG5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster