I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Medium/light surf rod guide KW/KT layout plan
Posted by: Ben Pitt (203.46.137.---)
Date: November 27, 2017 10:46PM

Hi all

Following on from my recent first post regarding my first ever rod build.

I am hoping to get some constructive feedback on my planned guide layout for my new surf rod. I have researched deeply on this site, and think I have a reasonably well thought layout planned, but would really like to see what others think.

Blank: 10ft surf rod based on a MHX SU120 [2 piece] rated 12-25lb, recommended casting weight 1-4oz. Fast action.
Line: 14lb powerpro, leader up to 20lb mono/FC, secured via FG knot. I would like the guides to pass and cast the leader if the situation demands.

Key measurements:
Butt to spool tip: 600mm (24”)
Spool tip height centre: 85mm (3.4”)
Spool width: 55mm (Daiwa BG 4000)
My planned build
Choke point: 1485mm (59.4”) using the 27 x method

Guided by the GPS tool I was planning on going on the following guide setup.
Stripper guide: KW 30L @ 621mm (24.45”)
1st reduction: KW20 @983mm (38.7”)
2nd reduction: KW10 @1227mm (48.31”)
Choke/running guides: KT 7 starting around 1485mm (59.4”) – per 27x method as stated above.
Probably 8 choke + running guides all up, spaced every 5-5.5” (or there abouts).

Does this setup look like a reasonable place to start? I am aware static load testing/test casting and adjusting are still a key components of the process. I'd just like to start from a good place, as Fugi K guides are hard to source in Australia and need to be mailed in!

Many thanks in advance, this site is an incredible source of information for us rookie, aspiring builders.

Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Medium/light surf rod guide KW/KT layout plan
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 28, 2017 09:44AM

30L, 20, 10 is spot on IMO. Distance to stripper looks good, Reduction train overall length looks good.

Tape and Test.

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.75.---)
Date: November 28, 2017 11:26AM

I used that same layout on the first rod I built. It was a 10'6" blank. It worked well but I was using a smallish reel for the rod. When I upgraded to a larger reel I had some significant line slap. Of course I had done my testing with the smaller reel so it's not necessarily because of the guides. That being said the 30L can be to low for a lot of reels. Ultimately you'll see how it performs with test casting.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.86.---)
Date: November 28, 2017 12:54PM

brian rossi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used that same layout on the first rod I built.
> It was a 10'6" blank. It worked well but I was
> using a smallish reel for the rod. When I upgraded
> to a larger reel I had some significant line slap.
> Of course I had done my testing with the smaller
> reel so it's not necessarily because of the
> guides. That being said the 30L can be to low for
> a lot of reels. Ultimately you'll see how it
> performs with test casting.

I have found the 30L to be too low for my surf reel which has a large spool diameter of 76 mm but a 4000 size reel is a lot smaller than my reel so a 30 L should be plenty large . If using 14 pound braid it's too large imo.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2017 03:12PM

If you do not cast very hard you may be able to get by with 20# shock leader. However, if you desire to cast 4 Oz with vigor you should be casting at least 40# shock leader.

Large diameter shock leader may take a set if left on the reel overnight or possibly a couple of days. It may be a good idea to test your shock leader before settling on the size and height of your butt guide. If the set does generate coils and you want to stay with your guide sizes, the solutions are to either put on a new shock leader at the start of the day or stretch the old shock leader to release the coils.

Don Becker

Posted by: Ben Pitt (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: November 29, 2017 04:34AM

Thanks Jim, will do. I'm not surprised the layout made sense to you, I've learned much from your input over many threads on this site. Cheers

Date: November 29, 2017 04:38AM

Herb and Brian, your points go somewhat hand in hand and are noted, I'll keep it in mind. I had the same thoughts and will keep an eye out when I test. I do plan on keeping the reel light so hopefully that mitigates the risk of bunching of line slap from the lower profile 30L.

Date: November 29, 2017 04:43AM

Donald, You are not wrong. Thankfully with this stick I'm unlikely to push it to 4oz, and will probably max out at about 2.5-3 max. I will keep it in mind however. Good tip on how to stretch out coils... simple as it is I've actually never thought to do that... go figure. Thanks!

Date: November 29, 2017 04:45AM

Gents, thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I have placed the order and look forward to the challenge to come. I'll post some pics to show how i go down the line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster