I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap Pitching Rod
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2017 07:25AM

Was thinking of attempting my first spiral wrapped pitching rod for my own personal use. What are some things I should take into account with this rod, regarding setup and placement of the guides. I know I will need to static test, just looking to get a starting point from which to start with. Any guides that people prefer to use with this setup.

Last, with this guide setup would most still opt for a moderate fast action or would you feel I could be fine with a fast action blank. Never built using a spiral wrap so just wanted know what I was getting into.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap Pitching Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 25, 2017 08:07AM

The blank has no way of knowing which side you put the guides on so whatever blank you normally use for this application will also work with a spiral wrap.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 25, 2017 10:28AM

hi Jay..i built them the same way as my flip rods only on tetescopic rods which when extended left about 45" of space for guides..i placed 9 guides at every 5" equal spacing..fished with guides down or on top just rotate rod tip 180 deg...no bumper guide...i let line rub on the blank, never ever a problem. if you sell the rod the buyer has option to use it with guides up or down with no bumper guide in the way..have fun..

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2017 01:16PM

I like to use the high frame guides from Hydra.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 25, 2017 05:44PM

I've been using Pac Bay FX-04W as bumper guides on simple spirals.(also as runners) They are very small, low to the blank, and unobtrusive. They are very stout and have wide foot. I usually test cast these rods with 50# braid to a 17# floro leader and can hardly tell there is a knot. I start with a double foot 08 20-22 in. in front of the reel guide and go from there. The bumper goes halfway between the first and second guide a little more than halfway from top to bottom. Be forewarned, if you do one spiral wrapped there's little chance you'll want to put them on top in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 05:44PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2017 11:47AM

Back in the archives during the time of the M&Ms, Steve Gardner put out his results on a Batson RX8+ pitching rod using Alps micro guides, he increased his accuracy and pitching distance over a standard build and even running guides larger an 3 mm. Casting distances were similar either way if I remember right, but he was using a flipping reel at the time and not one of the reels he uses for distance casting.
If I remeber right he uses a spiral wrap system similar to the Forhan system and used a 6mm stripper, followed by a 5mm, 4mm, transition to 3 mm guides in the 180 position. As I said before even 3.5 mm running guides weren't as effective as the 3mm guides. He was using braided line.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2017 07:20PM

Right handed reeks the spiral placement should be to the left correct. And do most start the stripper guide at 0 degrees or do u find u need to offset the first guide to allow the line to lay consistent on the reel.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 26, 2017 08:36PM

There is no difference on which way to go. I don't offset the first guide and get it around in three. That's my method and I'm stickin' to it. Go Hawks.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 26, 2017 09:00PM

the spiral is great way to get the most power out of your rod but even more important is the number of guides..use at least 10 guides to get every inch of effort from your rod..you gotta turn them around first. lol.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2017 09:06AM

Jay,
I always offset my first guide to get perfect line lay on the spool.

I suggest that you tape the guides in place on the reel. Then, pull off about 300 feet of line and lay it on the floor. Then, while holding light tension on the line, reel the line back onto the spool without touching the line at the reel.

Keep an eye on the line as it spools onto the reel. If the line spools onto the reel perfectly - great. Wrap the guides in the locations where you have them taped in place.

However, if you find that the line is laying on one side of the reel or the other, offset the first guide a few degrees in the direction that is opposite from the stacking line and retest.

Continue to test and retest until you get a perfect line lay on the reel without touching the line at the reel as you reel a few hundred feet of line back on the reel under light tension.

-------------
After doing this test, I find that I ALWAYS have to off set the first guide a few degrees to achieve perfect line lay on the reel without touching the line at the reel.

Good luck

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 27, 2017 04:13PM

I put my guide closest to the reel at o degrees without an offset. I do however angle the foot toward the next guide. I also do like the spiral to go to the left on a right hand caster although I don't think it matters. I create a choke point on the rod where the line will cross the blank behind the most critical bend of the rod at 45 degrees. This will be just behind the 3rd guide that is below the blank at around 135 degrees. The forth guide is at 180 degrees and also just behind the critical bend. I align the guides to create the straightest line possible. I do not want my line to touch the blank even when critically bent. Fuji RV guides are the correct height for rods 7' and shorter then I will go with a KW for rods over 7'. I do not use guides smaller than 4 mm rings, I have found no advantage to it. My typical guide set up would be; Fuji RV 6, KB 5 and the rest KB and KT 4s. 9 guides for a 7' and under and 10+ for 7' and over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2017 04:14PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster