I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Center pin rod help
Posted by: Glenn Knepprath (216.127.192.---)
Date: November 24, 2017 08:48PM

I want to build myself a center pin rod I am purchasing from Mud Hole a MHXST1563..13 foot Steelhead blank and a HKS-7 Spinning Handle Kit - 18 1/8" in Length,could someone give me some advice on a good guide set I am thinking 13 spinning rod type guides? but what size guides? I will be using a Okuma Adventa VT1002 center pin reel on this build… Thank You!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 05:59PM by Glenn Knepprath.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Center pin rod help
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2017 02:04AM

my thought for guide train CRB Concept Style Spinning Guides - Model YG
#20 stripper next a #12 and #6 for runners and 6 ring for tip should keep the rod nice and light but totally functional with mono or braid just my 2 cents not gospel others might have different thoughts

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 25, 2017 08:15AM

I've never built that particular blank, but 12-13 guides will be appropriate depending on your spacing. If you're wrapping a guide on the end instead of a tip-top, add 1 more running guide. Don't put 6's on it if you're going to use it when the temps dip below 32*, 7's are the minimum and 8's are very popular for hardcore steelheaders around the Great Lakes. Fuji Y-frames have been a mainstay for many years. My last couple builds I used k-frames fuji's, and moving forward they will be my #1 choice. A size 20 is a good starting point for the taller y-frames, and a size 16 for the K-LH.

Posted by: Scott Gilchrist (---.static.fibrenoire.ca)
Date: November 25, 2017 04:06PM

I've built on two MHX float rods. Both for myself. Both 13'. One was a two piece and the other a 3 piece.
The first one, I used pac bay minima spinning guides. Stainless style frames. Started with a high frame 20, 16, 12, 10, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7(as my tip guide). They were stainless steel frames and I found the rod to be a bit heavier than i am used to. But works great.

For the 2nd rod I decided to spend a bit more and use the pac bay minima TITANIUM high frame guides with the same layout and wow. I believe these guides are the best bang for your buck when it comes to float rods. They are about half the price of the fuji K titanium guides.

One other bit of advice for anyone wanting to go with an MHX float rod. Go with the two piece. The 3 piece has an awful bend to it. I straightens out at the furrels and has the appearance of a knuckle when you put load on it. I noticed the knuckle type bend in the blank when i first set up for the static test before I placed the guides on the rod. But I went ahead with the build anyway. After fighting a couple steelhead on it, I have decided to just use it as a show rod and keep the 2 piece for the river.

Date: November 25, 2017 06:14PM

Thank's guys for the info but:according to the specs on the rod at Mud Hole it says the tip size of this rod is 5 would you still use #6 guides and #6 tip top?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 06:56PM by Glenn Knepprath.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2017 09:25PM

I think they are using #7 guides and tip top with a 5 tube size. Pac Bay PT tip tops can be had with #6, #7, and #8 ringed tip tops in a 5 tube.

Date: November 27, 2017 09:28PM

I would like to thank all of you who have so generously replied to my questions its people like you that make this rod forum rock! Thank you, Glenn

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.opg.com)
Date: November 29, 2017 01:59PM

Take a look at the American Tackle Tornados as your guides. I would use a guide as your tip top and I also agree that size 7 should be the smallest you go.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster