I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Roger Wilsons 360 degree test .
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.107.---)
Date: November 22, 2017 10:39PM

That link you posted is a great writeup , i have read it 4 different times, three times a few weeks ago and again just now and unfortunately whats recommended for rods over 10 feet does not provide the height that gives me the straight edge effect . Granted i am working with a single guide frame type instead of having many many choices so thats a factor .

If i mixed and matched different frame types i would have been done awhile ago but thats not the case. As Norman noticed in my first post i am missing the one guide that would make this a piece of cake but it only comes in a titanium frame and a different ceramic material . Please don't waste your time with my situation , i don't expect responses and and it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

I find very interesting things written by people in the archives that get few if any responses but i find them extremely helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2017 12:34AM

Herb,
Just as a point of clarification:
The method that I use to line up the guides so that the line essentially brushes the full 360 degrees of the stripper guide is most noticeable during the retrieve of a heavy lure over thousands of casts and retrieves.

i.e. this is a method to insure that on a non bent rod light tension retrieve, that the line is presenting the least amount of friction to the retrieving reel.

As a side product of this guide alignment, the casting distance will also be optimized as well.

Also, your latest comment which spoke of a taunt line to the choker pretty well sums up the method as well. But, in addition to your mention of the line just brushing the top of the stripper guide, you also want it to just brush the bottom of the stripper guide when the reel spool is rotated 180 degrees.

Bottom line - on a light tension straight rod retrieve, you really don't want the line rubbing on the stripper guide. If it rubs on the guide it is going to be a source of friction and thus more effort on a day of a thousand casts as is the case of hard core Musky fishermen who use spinning rods and reels for this purpose.

Good luck

p.s.
You can do another quick experiment to under stand the system a bit better. Set up all of the guides on your rod - with the exception of your stripper guide. Then, with a bit of weight on the line to maintain tension, have the stripper guide threaded onto the line in the approximate location of the guide. Then, with the reel turned to provide the greatest distance of the line from the rod, slide the stripper guide along the rod blank until the line just barely brushes the inside top edge of the guide. Then, temporarily tape the guide in this position. Then, rotate the reel so that the line is as close to the rod blank as it will ever get. Check to see that the line just barely brushes the bottom inside edge of the guide as well.

I think that you will find, that if you do not move any of the other guide sizes or location, and perform the stripper guide location with the correctly sized and height stripper guide that there will only be one spot on the blank where the guide can be located to meet the criteria of the above test.

After doing a few, you will find that the guide placement takes less time that it takes to type this up.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 23, 2017 08:15AM

Regarding setting up with heavier line, I have to agree with the logic, but have never tried it. Since I usually use braid of 15 pound test or less on all my spinning rigs it is pretty easy to get a very effective guide train using Fuji KLH with size 20 choker, or 16 if I know I'll never go higher on pound test.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.107.---)
Date: November 23, 2017 12:43PM

Thanks Roger , will try your recommendations , and thank you mike .

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster