I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Point Blank question
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-10.myvzw.com)
Date: October 31, 2017 10:59AM

I'm considering a Point Blank build for myself. How do the ratings compare to reality? I know a St Croix MH is a different animal than, say, a Loomis MH. Just using those examples as a basis for comparison. I don't pay much attention to power ratings, knowing the arbitrary nature of such ratings.

Looking at the PB701MF and PB701MHF. Which one would be closest to the the classic 1/4-3/4oz, 10-17lb Loomis stick? I'm looking to build a general purpose jig and worm rod. My builds to this point have been mostly St Croix; SCIV and SCV, or Rainshadow; Eternity and Immortal; with a couple each MHX and Bushido. I have no experience with Point Blank, and have never seen, or handled, one. I know nobody who has one.

Thanks in adavance for all opinions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point Blank question
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 31, 2017 12:09PM

Outstanding template, a bit wider at the but with a soft tip. These blanks will make a rod that will launch a lure. Thin wall and High Modulus Graphite at a reasonable price. You will not regret it. They really don't compare to a Loomis due to the difference in the template although both have a somewhat larger but. It is a good difference.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2017 12:50PM

I now have 4 personnel Point Blank rods and have made several others for friends. They are great rods; very light and powerful and cast lures extremely well. They have become some of my favorites. A while back I did a CCS analysis comparing a number of 7’ M power blanks and the PB701MF had a higher intrinsic power than a similarity rated St Croix V, Rainshadow Eternity, Rods Geeks C4, and NFC HM 704MF. It also seemed that PB rods had a wider lure wgt range than advertised. The PB MH should have plenty of power and will be lighter than the Loomis MH, but will have a different feel because of the way it is designed. As mentioned before feel is a subjective term that is hard to define, but is important to the user. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 31, 2017 03:12PM

If you can find an Angler's Resource catalog from either last year or the year before, CCS values were posted. Be aware that two different numbers were posted, the Angler's Resource numbers and CCS numbers. Older catalogs had Angler's Resource numbers only.

I've built two Point Blanks as BC rods, not the ones you are after, and the positive comments from other posters fit well with my experience. The XF actions yielded Action Angles of about 75 degrees (CCS), so they were in fact XF. This would indicate to me that if they call an action F, it will be about 70 - 72 degrees , about where my SCV 70MF5's have been.

I suggest you pick one and build to gain experience with them. You will not be disappointed.

Take care not to have your guide wheels on wrappers too tight when spinning them as the "sharkskin" finish can be "smoothed" out by them if you're not careful.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2017 03:52PM

The shark skin ........ or as I think Point Blank calls it .... cat's tongue. I'm wondering if that finish can me removed with Scotch Brite, or would it need to be sanded?

The only reason I haven't even considered one of the their blanks is because of that finish. Kind of like when the Eternity's were blue. I would consider one if I could get one with a smooth natural finish.

Date: October 31, 2017 07:32PM

I Never gave the finish on the Point Blanks a single thought. There is absolutely nothing objectionable or even noticeable about the finish. It is a natural finish that has been sanded with no added finish or clear coat. It looks good and wraps well. I guess if you wanted to sand it more no reason you couldn’t, but in my opinion it is not necessary.;the finish is perfect as it is..
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 31, 2017 09:58PM

I like the finish, too. I cannot imagine it being considered negative. My comment was made just to caution others who have not yet wrapped one that it is possible to "disrupt" the finish. A little work with Scotchbrite will restore it almost perfectly. But to avoid having to do that, lighten up on the rollers, especially when they are applied when drying and they will be against the finish possibly all night.

Cat's tongue, right. Good descriptor.

Date: November 01, 2017 05:26PM

Oh I am just going off literature I read when the blanks were being newly introduced. I may be wrong but I sure thought it said a cat's tongue finish..... cat's tongues are pretty rough lol ..... evidently I misinterpreted it. So it's a smooth finish? Cool !!!

Thanks guys!

Date: November 01, 2017 06:17PM

David - You are correct, the Point Blanks were/are advertised as having a cat tongue finish. There is a little texture to the finish but is not very noticeable. In fact I did not even think about its finish until you posted that it was a reason you have not not tried a Point Blank. Believe me they are fantastic rod blanks that are extremely light and powerful. I know you like a well balanced rod and, as I mentioned in another post, the Point Blanks tend to be very easy to balance. I think this is due to their light weight and the way they are designed with a no taper butt section. I have made them as both casting and spinning rods in lengths from 6’9” to 7’6” and I love all of them.
Norm

Date: November 02, 2017 06:57PM

Norm, thanks for the post sir. Very much appreciated.

I'll be looking to build a new shaky head rod this off season, and am definitely going to take a look at a Point Blank.

I'm curious if you, or anyone else that has built on a Point Blank have built on the PB701MF blank? As I mentioned I'll be using it primarily to fish shaky head jigs in weights from 1/8 - 5/16 oz. I'm currently using a rod I built on a Pac Bay Quickline QLSJ782. I absolutely love the rod I built on it, but it's only 6'6" long, and the way I have it built, with a longer rear grip than most 6'6" spinning rods have, it suffers in casting distance. Once I build a newer longer rod to replace it, I'm going to trim about 4" off the butt and turn it into a rod for skipping baits under docks.

Anyhow .... if you or anyone have built on the Point Blank blank that I mentioned, what are you thoughts as far as how well it will fit what I want to do with it? I will be building it as a spinning rod using 8# fluorocarbon line on a 3000 series Shimano Saros reel.

Thank you to anyone that shares an opinion. They will truly be appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2017 07:01PM by David Baylor.

Date: November 02, 2017 09:06PM

David - I have built a spinning rod on a PB701MF with titanium Fuji KR Alconite spin guides utilizing a Fuji 17 VSS real seat with Fuji Winn Grips to fit including an SK hidden thread hood with Winn thread cover sleeve.. Love this rod! Use it with a 3000 Shimano Stradic CI4 with 15# braid. Very light and responsive and will throw lures from 1/8 to 3/4 oz very well with very little effort. I use it for both bass and light inshore fishing for speckled trout and reds and whatever else is swimming around. Have caught a lot of fish on it. The PB701MF is a very powerful rod for a M rated rod having an intrinsic power rating of 690 gm, similar to many MH rated rods. Your QLSJ782 has an intrinsic power rating of about 547 gms, if you want something of similar power you may want to try the PB701MLF which has an intrinsic power of 557 gms. The PB MLs are similar in power to most M power rods. It seems to me that the lure weight range for Point Blanks is broader than advertised, which I think is true for most HM rods. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.177.---)
Date: November 03, 2017 09:49AM

Thanks gents. You have given me the answer. I ordered the PB701MF.

Date: November 03, 2017 06:30PM

Norm .... again thank you for the excellent post. I am looking for a blank with more power than the QLSJ782. Figure I'll need it for longer casts. But I don't know if I want that much more power. Referring to the PB701MF. With the numbers you gave (excellent info!!) I'd probably go with the PB701MLF and count on the added rod length to move more line for me.

Man I wish there was a place I could check both blanks out in person ..... I just did a check. A board sponsor, Jann's Netcraft, carries both blanks and has them in stock. It's only about a 2 hour drive for me to get there. It looks like I am going to be taking a trip sometime this winter. .

Thanks again Norm !!

Date: November 03, 2017 07:47PM

Gary - I think you made an excellent choice. You will not be disappointed.

David - if you can get to the ICRBE in NC you can give a lot of different rods a wiggle and buy the ones you like at a discount. Anglers Resource is usually there and they bring their Point Blanks to the Expo. Also a lot of other rod manufacturers/distributors are represented there. It’s fun looking at all of the rod building stuff. It’s about an 11 hr car trip for me, but my wife and I turn it into a vacation visiting friends and relatives on the way to and back from the Expo. I Also enjoy getting together with some rod building friends at the Expo, I learn a lot while there.
Norm

Date: November 03, 2017 09:48PM

Norm, some day I hope to be able to get to the Expo. I am sure I would be like the proverbial, kid in a candy store. My problem is at my place of employment, our vacation time renews on the anniversary of our date of hire. For me that's March 11th. It would be hard for me to save vacation time. I'm due to be up to 3 weeks vacation year after this up coming year. Maybe then.

I just checked, it's not too bad of a drive for me. According to Google maps it's only a 6 1/2 hour drive. Heck, now that I think a little ..... leave early Sat morning, go to the Expo and head home on Sunday. Might be doable .....

Date: November 03, 2017 09:53PM

David, I am retired so everyday is like a Saturday, I get to do what I what to do when I want to do it. It is a different world when you have to work. If you go let me know and we can get together.
Norm

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-134.myvzw.com)
Date: November 04, 2017 07:48AM

Thanks again, Norman. You gave me the answer i was looking for. I did not want a medium power rod that fished like a heavy, and you addressed that perfectly.

I'm planning to attend the Expo, for the first time. Looking forward to putting some faces to the names of people from whom I have received such excellent advice. Hope to see you there.

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.disa.mil)
Date: November 07, 2017 02:49PM

I have built only one PB rod - PB761MHXF and use it for just about everything now - flipping, frogging, and especially large top water fishing. I am now in the process of building another one - PB691MLXF as a dropshot/finess rod, KR style, Winn AR grips. This is one light blank! Love their rods!

Ron B

Date: November 07, 2017 06:44PM

I also have the PB761MHF a great rod. Hard to believe how light and powerful it is. I am seriously considering building another.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.89.---)
Date: November 08, 2017 11:27AM

Norm are the ratings for the 761mhxf accurate as described by point blank? My experience with their blanks was the blank was far less powerful than advertised. I built on a 731mhf

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster