I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread wrapping
Posted by: Rick Provencher (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: September 29, 2017 05:11PM

Its been about 10 years since I last built and wrapped rods. I have lately done 3 more and noticed when I bury the tag ends using a loop of thread and pulling under 4-5 threads at the end of the wrap that the thread is pretty pronounced and shows a bump. Looking at my older rods I do not see these bumps in the thread wraps. Even at the beginning of the wrap where I bury the tag end I see the bump from the thread underneath.

What did I do before that I am missing this time?

Thanks Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread wrapping
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2017 06:01PM

Rick,
When you pull the thread through, be sure to use considerable tension. The tension will tend to thin the thread a bit and make it slightly smaller in diameter.
Also, when wrapping, I use a power wrapper. When I finish a wrap, I use my burnishing tool to flatten and level the thread. I do this at high speed, so I imagine that I turn the rod several hundred times when burnishing.
I would imagine that burnishing makes the biggest difference.

I use a burnishing tool that is identical to this one:

[www.mudhole.com]

When first starting, I used craft sticks to burnish the thread, but there is an issue with using a wood stick because it can lose splinters into the thread when burnishing. These nylon tools are slick, don't shed material and do an excellent job.

Good luck

Posted by: Matt Caplis (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 12:59AM

I tend to get the same result. Roger, when you say "use considerable tension" what do you mean exactly? When you cut the thread and put it through the loop and start to pull it tight to the wrap where do you apply tension? Or, are you talking about tension on the thread once it's pulled through, but just prior to cutting it?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2017 03:36PM

Try this:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 30, 2017 06:43PM

Matt,
When I say considerable tension, I am speaking of the tension that the tension device on your wrapper is putting on the thread for the full length of the thread wrap.

I tighten down the tension, so that I can just barely move the guide for its final alignment, if it is necessary to move it at all.

I want to have to use two thumbs, and two fingers to move the guide due to the tight tension. By doing this; I don't have an issue with a guide ever slipping on the blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 06:50PM

Roger, big guides or small thumbs? LOL

Posted by: Mike Beauchamp (---.as13285.net)
Date: October 01, 2017 04:33AM

As with Rik I am also wrapping a rod for the first time in more than ten years and have also noticed the pronounced bump of the thread after trimming it off.
Now I will try burnishing the bumps a little more as advised.

Thanks also for the link to the video, its certainly a new step forward on the 'how to' of wrap finishing.

I use a surgical scalpel that has disposable blades instead of a razor blade but both cut equally well.

Date: October 01, 2017 10:18AM

Phil,
All guides are wrapped with the same tension. i.e. as tight as possible to be able to barely able to move the guide for final adjustment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster