I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ralph O'Quinn
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2017 08:03AM

My very good friend Ralph O'Quinn, a long time rod builder and friend to the rod building craft and community, passed away in his sleep early this morning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ralph O'Quinn
Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: September 21, 2017 08:49AM

Very sad day... what a great guy

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2017 08:54AM

I'm so sorry to hear that Tom. He too will be missed by us all.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: September 21, 2017 09:38AM

Sorry to hear this.

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.cpe.netcabo.pt)
Date: September 21, 2017 10:13AM

My condolences to all the friends and family.

Abraço

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 21, 2017 12:26PM

He was a good friend, fellow rod builder and a tinker of all things. We enjoyed many shows, phone calls, products, inventions, gizmos, test results and stories with Ralph for the past 20 years. His legacy on the rod building community will last for generations. Condolences to his family.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 21, 2017 01:42PM

Hello All.

Ralph was either known, known of or both to about everyone on this site and he is going to be missed often and by many.

My condolences to his family his friends and all who knew him.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines or should I say; Level Wraps & Clear Epoxy.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 21, 2017 02:04PM

My condolences to his family

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.ff.avast.com)
Date: September 21, 2017 02:48PM

Ralph is involved in every rod I build or repair. I will always appreciate his contributions to our craft, and I will never forget the advice he gave me.

Rest in peace, Ralph. You are missed.

Chris

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2017 02:57PM

Raplh was awesome!! I remember we were walking to the Rodmaker reception at the train station place, and he was RUNNING across the street. He always would come over to TEh NERBs booth and shake his head, "I love it. I love it - I just can't understand how you do it!" It was always great to see him, I'd look forward to it every year. When I first started scouring teh internet for rodbuilding info, Ralph's name would pop up all teh time, he really gave a lot to teh rod building community before this site and most others exsted, and I know that I learned a lot from him and I always apprecaited his "rod building witch hunt" posts regarding epoxy.

COndolences to his family

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: September 21, 2017 03:18PM

That is terrible to hear. My deepest sympathy and condolences to his family.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 21, 2017 07:29PM

I never met him, but I had a lot of respect for him through his publications and posts. There was no doubt that he was an accomplished rod builder who was more than willing to share his expertise with others. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Norm

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 22, 2017 12:21PM

Condolences to his family and friends . A great teacher in the are of applying finish. Because of Ralph I apply finish with a spatula instead of a brush. Learned it from him at the ICRBE years ago. Great man the will be surly missed . Rest in Peace.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2017 06:30PM

REST IN PEACE SIR! You Taught us Many Things

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 25, 2017 02:54PM

Great builder and TEACHER. Rest In Peace

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.qcbi.org)
Date: September 28, 2017 12:20PM

Knew this day would come but still a sad day. Ralph was a unique guy...old school. He made a significant contribution to this country long before he contributed so significantly to our craft.

I was fortunate to meet Ralph as a young, wide-eyed rod builder. He could obviously see I had a lot to learn and Ralph set about teaching me. He taught me an awful lot of what I know about epoxy, adhesives, surface prep, and mixing/measuring. He taught me EVERYTHING I know about rod repair. He was an able and generous teach and I am grateful.

Ralph told it like he saw it...no filters. I think that was polarizing for some. I appreciated it. He had a great sense of humor but never, ever got to the point where he would laugh at my jokes about flaming Permagloss.

I have a custom spatula Ralph made for me with my name engraved on it that I cherish. I know he made one for Andy Dear, too...probably dozens of others. Some of my fondest rodbuilding memories are when he stayed at my house for a couple of Nashville gatherings. He will be missed.

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 04:51PM

May he rest in peace.

Posted by: Dan Metcalf (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2017 05:38PM

Thank-you custom rod building community for your kind and thoughtful comments regarding Ralph O'Quinn, my father-in-law. He loved you guys, loved being with you, loved Tom Kirkman, loved coming to ICRBE. It was five years ago the hospital sent him home to die within two weeks, "maximum", from a double dissected torn aorta. A couple of months later when it became clear he wasn't going to die he began physical therapy to restore his strength. I think he believed that he might be able to fully recover, or at least mostly. He did not, but he got around pretty good with his walker, and occasionally without when his caretaker wasn't looking, right up until the last 2-3 days of his life. If he could have physically done it he would have continued to attend ICRBE. Every year it was on his mind and he expressed to me his regrets at not being able to attend.

Ralph mellowed quite a bit during his final few years on the planet. He would still argue politics, rod building techniques, baseball, what color the sky is or anything else if you really wanted to; but generally speaking he became a very sweet man. We believe that he is now in heaven having more fun than he ever dreamed. It would not surprise me at all if he has a bet going with God right now on who is going to win the World Series. Ralph loved baseball and could tell you just about anything you wanted to know about the game. When we visited Ralph during baseball season more than likely we would be watching game with him. If you would like to read his obituary here is the link:

[www.legacy.com]

Thanks again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster