I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color wood for turning
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 16, 2001 11:07PM

I was at the book store today, and was paging through a book about turning pens on a lathe, and found some cool looking stuff in there. The one thing was something called either color board or color wood, I forget, but it was basically a block of wood laminated together from thin peices dyed different colors, then when you turn it down it had this really cool looking striped pattern. They showed you how to cut it on an angle to get diagonal stripes and whatnot. they said it was about the same as regular wood as far as how easy it was to turn. But, they didn't say where you could get the stuff. Has anyone seen this stuff? do you know if it comes in blocks big enough to make reelseats out of? I think it would be really neat, I never saw anything like it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color wood for turning
Posted by: Scott Brockwell (---.s229.tnt1.chts.va.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: November 16, 2001 11:31PM

I bought some at the local WoodCrafter's Supply store in Richmond, VA (they are on-line at woodcrafters.com, I think, and have retail outlets at various cities around the country). It came in a block a little over 3/4" square by about 5" long, which is enough for a size 16 Fuji DPS insert.

I bought the interlocking diagonal pattern stuff -- not the regular Pakka wood type which is in a straight, horizontal pattern -- and it looks unique, to be sure. I used the color pattern with black and white checks, or diamonds, or whatever you want to call it. I used it for an insert on a display model on an 8-wt fly rod built for bass and used the bottom inch of it as the base for a wood/cork fighting butt. Some folks liked it, some looked over their glasses like it was a booger on a birthday cake. If you look at it long, it takes you to the 60's and plays Jimi Hendrix rifts in your head. Anyway, one guy liked it enough to take it home.

If you don't find the web site and want to, drop me an e-mail and I'll look up the store on a flyer I have around.

Re: color wood for turn ing
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 16, 2001 11:47PM

started answering my own questions. found colorply at [www.willardbrothers.net],
and also dymond wood at www.pennstateind.com

Re: color wood for turning
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 17, 2001 10:37AM

Most of the pen turning supply houses have materials that can be used for making some nice reel seat inserts. The only problem is the sizes are usually limited to 5/8 inch diameter. By the time they are turned round you are looking at 1/2 inch diameter max and that may be small for some reel seats. Just be careful when you order than get something large enough to actually use on a seat.

By the way, I spent 3 days this past week turning some inserts, inserts sections, winding checks and caps out of actual marble. Beautiful stuff. With the proper lubricant (water) it cuts and bores easier than you might think, but requires many hours of hand wet sanding to get the proper look. It is also very heavy compared to any type wood, but I could never find any of the "look-alike" acrylic marble blanks that really looked like marble. So I just used the real thing. I will find an application for these pieces. They are too nice not to use.

Re: "Fake" marble
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: November 17, 2001 11:00AM

Tom - "look-alike" acrylic marble = Corian??

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2001 07:48PM

You may want to try a knife making supply house such as Koval. I dont't have their address in front of me, but they do have some interesting laminated woods and other materials. Bob Vasko

Posted by: StickyLine (63.124.164.---)
Date: November 17, 2001 11:56PM

I recently bought some corian on @#$%& and plan to use it in reel seats as a substitute for ivory/bone/antler. But you guys are right , it doesn't look anything like marble. It came in 3/4x3/4x5" sticks. Turns and polishes well. Probably could scremshaw it. StickyLine

Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: November 19, 2001 08:59PM

Texas Knife Supply has the wood, and many other materials, in blocks suitable for turning. www.texasknife.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster