I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cape fear blanks
Posted by: ian duffield (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: September 10, 2017 10:01PM

New to the forum but have always looked it over, good site.

I did a search for Cape Fear blanks and found some old posts about them. I got several of these blanks years ago and built one into my Musky trolling rod, these blanks are indestructible. One of the blanks I have has a very soft tip but backbone that is perfect for my Musky spinning rod, its soft enough to get the spinners out there and powerful enough to get the Musky out of the weeds.

Anybody else built these blanks into Musky rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cape fear blanks
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2017 09:49PM

Is this one of the hex blanks?

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 12, 2017 08:01AM

good luck finding them...

Date: September 12, 2017 08:31AM

The blanks are the Hex with the cross section bracing, they came direct from the factory many year ago. I am not looking for any as I have several now but if I came across the one shorter model that I built into the Musky rod I would for sure sell some of the others I have to buy that one.

I love how the spine of the blank is identified and no matter how it is flexed the bend always heads in that direction, they even put the round raised graphite there.

Thanks for the replies

Ian

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: September 14, 2017 10:36AM

Ian, Ernie Horvath (and his son I think?) used to do work for Cape Fear. I'm with you...awesome blanks. Sorry they never took off. You probably won't have any luck but Ernie would be your best best IMHO. Think he is on here as Ernest Horvath. Good luck!

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2017 12:54PM

Bill, how are you doing? Yes many years have passed since Cape Fear. The blanks were just to time consuming to build to be a profitable market. Ian, the reason you can identify the spine is because that T had a layer of fiberglass in it, to give it better structure. I haven't seen any blanks for 5 or 6 years, and the folks that have them will not part with them.

Date: September 16, 2017 08:39PM

Hi Ernest that's how they do the spine with a layer of fibre glass. I found that applying the epoxy on the wraps was a little time consuming and it didn't really stay on the corners to well for the first coat when rolling in the dryer. On my Musky rod I used cork and for the fore grip I used cut pieces of popsicle sticks pushed in to fill the void between the cork and the blank, I can only ream cork round and I only used cork. Then an oversized winding check and it was perfect. They are a little time consuming and for a rod builder to get them out the door and make a few dollars it was a tough go. They make great Musky rods for me though and living in the area I do with Musky at our door step they fit in well

I have several blanks here and I will be selling 4, when I can get the nerve to let them go.

Regards

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster