I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fish eyes/contaminates
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 04, 2017 08:39AM

I bought some "rod wrapping thread" on a bidding site and the fish eyes appear soon after epoxy is applied. Has anyone found a way to seal in the silicone /contaminants. I know the best answer is to use thread from the advertisers on the left.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fish eyes/contaminates
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 04, 2017 09:14AM

First, Have you Tried some Thread Sealer?

Date: September 04, 2017 09:36AM

Yes Jay,I have. Al's premium cane finishing product, polyurethane and white Elmer's glue(water based). Al,s seemed to work in one test wrap and didn't work in another thread I used. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if has already been done.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 04, 2017 12:14PM

You need to coat your wraps with Color Preserver made by U-40 (Trondak), Flex Coat, and/or Rod Dancer. Any of these will coat the thread and encapsulate the silicone that is present in your thread. Any thread that is made for sewing is very likely to be contaminated with Silicone. These color preservers are made from acrylic materials suspended in a solvent. They may appear to be diluted Elmer's Glue, but they are much different. Good Luck,

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 04, 2017 02:03PM

If it's an option for you, rewrap with thread marketed as rod wrapping thread. Yep, it means removing wraps already made, but the end result might be better as correcting fish eyes can sometimes be the icon for royal pain.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2017 07:20AM

Robert,
In a word, rip off the wraps, throw the thread in the garbage, purchase new thread, rewrap the rod recoat and enjoy the rod.

As the saying goes, when you find a bad apple, throw out the apple before it spoils the rest of the batch.

If you keep the bad thread around, you will likely end up using it again and have the problem all over again.

Plenty of thread in the world that does not have the issue, so remove the troublesome thread and move on.

Good luck

Date: September 05, 2017 09:05AM

I am definitely leaning that way and I'll be going that way in the future. Thanks for the insight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster