I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gloss Finish on whole rod
Posted by: Mike Varner (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2017 04:51PM

I am building my first rod and will be used to troll offshore. It is a black MHX black with a flat finish. I have wrapped the roller eyes and do not like the flat finish of the rod blank.

Can I coat the remaining rod with epoxy?

Will it crack under stress?

Is there an alternative?

Any advice would be appreciated to this beginner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gloss Finish on whole rod
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 25, 2017 05:21PM

Epoxy is the wrong product for this. One of the moisture curing polyurethanes like Lumiseal or Permagloss are appropriate, much thinner, lighter, flexible, glossy, tough. There most likely will be mentioned other options, but they will not include epoxy. The ones I mentioned need to be used in a well ventilated area, they dry very fast giving little time to apply. There are special techniques for applying them which I hope other more qualified builders will offer. But do not apply epoxy until you learn all the facts about what you want to do. Not impossible, or even that difficult, but you need to know the process and appropriate materials.

Check the internet for videos using the search term Lumiseal videos or Permagloss videos.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2017 05:45PM

Coating the rod should be done before wrapping the guides on. Now using the atmosphere cured urethane's will be more difficult as they cure rather quickly and normally should be wiped upon a bare blank. Rod wrap epoxies are not made for coating a blank. You can mask off the guide wraps and use a spray gloss coating like a Krylon product.

Posted by: Mike Varner (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2017 06:17PM

Thanks guys. Live and learn.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 25, 2017 08:43PM

Should be done before wrapping the guides, but can be done after. No reason why these products cannot go on over the epoxy on the wraps. Unless I'm mistaken. If I am, someone will surely tell me.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 25, 2017 08:55PM

Adding weight to a rod blank trades performance for appearance.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2017 09:32PM

Kind of reverse building but all is not lost
go to the home repair center and get a can of Clear gloss spray and then carefully tape off the wrappings tent the rollers and apply light coats of spray to the bare spots while the rod is vertically from the tip with a piece of just plain old string or old line let it dry for about half hour and go back and re coat making sure you have covered the exposed parts of the blank and they have a shine.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 26, 2017 10:47AM

or maybe dip it like the boo builders. lol.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2017 11:24AM

I would advise not to dip a rod with roller guides already on it.

Posted by: Mike Varner (---.gvllcmtk01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 26, 2017 08:37PM

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the help and showing me mercy. As a professional firefighter for 25 years I do know from experience that your co-workers can be tuff.

Please continue to help us beginners. We welcome it.

Thanks

Mike

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2017 03:24PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adding weight to a rod blank trades performance
> for appearance.

It's an offshore trolling rod...I doubt weight is of much concern.

But very good thinking for other applications.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster