I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What changes would you like from blank makers?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 03:59PM

My first two: 1. Either put the ID labels about 6 inches up the blank or make them less than 1 1/2 inches long. They now have to be removed if making a split grip. 2. Get rid of transparent sticky back labels meant for mounting on the finished rod. They are almost impossible to get off the backing and onto the rod without leaving a fingerprint on the back. If they were a little thicker and more substantial one could more easily handle them by the edges, and it would help a lot. Thanks Point Blank and a couple others for having fixed this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What changes would you like from blank makers?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 04:44PM

No change required.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 04:53PM

I didn't say required. I'll still buy, and I'll handle it. But I would LIKE these changes to make the building experience a little better.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 06:27PM

Buy Lamiglas blanks, they wrap around the blank. only take up 1/2 inch of the length.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 06:54PM

Two things: (1) publish the CCS numbers or at least the grain window for fly rods, and (2) end no fault warranties - they breed irresponsibility.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 07:00PM

Some color choices in blanks. Most have gone over to the matte carbon fiber. Really liked the Batson green and brown blanks of old.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 08:42PM

I would like a scientific measure of the hoop strength of a rod. This is an easily determined quality of a rod blank and one which would aid rod builders who value empirical data more than hearsay or expressions of faith or merchandising.

Posted by: Eric Hanson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 08:55PM

Limited Editions, colors, and a standardized rating system.

Speaking of which...if anyone has a old school Seeker White Tiger blank, I am interested in buying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2017 08:56PM by Eric Hanson.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 10:25PM

stop the classifying blanks by lure type and fish species,line weight ,lure weight it totally confuzzles the customers wanting a custom rod as they want to fish for more than just one spices and use more than one type of lure in plain English the general public is clueless when it comes to these simple specifications they have enough trouble with just the line weight /lure recommendations let alone adding in species recommendations to me all this is just marketing tools so they can sell more blanks that are the same with just a different classification.
this is common with the bass, walleye blanks, fly rods are so far out in left field it isn't even funny.
( Donald La mar stated the no fault life time warranties need to go stupidity shouldn't be covered.)
labels should be printed on a light color back round to eliminate the smudging of the adhesive on clear labels when placing them on a blank.
BUT will the manufacturers actually take any of these suggestions in to consideration or just continue doing it the way they are??

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: August 21, 2017 08:18AM

I would like to see more 2 piece blanks in the 6 to 6 1/2 foot fresh water catagory.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.189.108.73.static.midphase.com)
Date: August 21, 2017 09:51AM

CCS data for all blanks

Instructions on whether or not ferrules should be wrapped

Mfg label pasted on very butt end of the blank and loose label in package for builder to use or not depending on his wishes

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2017 08:44PM

St. Croix I think still has a decent selection of 2 piece blanks, Schneider's has some of the Batson 3 piece travel blanks in different categories on sale now. Others have a decent selection of 3 piece travel blanks.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2017 08:53PM

X2. On Michael Daneks suggestion. Those decalsl are a pain in the butt and waste a LOT of time in the building process. 6 to 7 inches up would be perfect . Rod Geeks used to put the id on with a rubber band which was nice but I guess in handling they may have come off at the factory so, no more.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: August 21, 2017 10:43PM

Gary Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to see more 2 piece blanks in the 6
> to 6 1/2 foot fresh water catagory.

This. I'd like to see some higher end 2 piece freshwater blanks. I understand the market isn't there, but just give me 1 or 2 fairy universal model options. I'm down with having a few high end trunk sticks. Fish in style baby! The 2nd thing I'd like to see are pictures of each rod blank under loads. Quick and simple, and gives the customer a better understanding of the blank. JDM rod companies are starting to do this and I find it very helpful when selecting a rod.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2017 12:02AM

Personal wish list:

CCS measurements is tops

Nano resin use in lower or mid modulus carbon blend blanks not just for less cost but durability closer to fiberglass but still lighter for inshore and catfish. I did noticed very recently that Rod Geeks came out with vertical jigging blanks with nano resin at a very attractive price.

More selection of good quality mid priced fiberglass fly rod blanks.There is a big gap between $50 cheap blanks then jumps to $150 and up and seems to keep going higher. Rod Geeks seems to listen to rod builders, they have the s glass and custom colors that would look good and if they could make a few models of even 2 piece for less than $100 with color they would sell well just sayin.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 22, 2017 05:03PM

How about something besides "smooth" or "fast'" or "ultra-fast" or "soulful" or "powerful" or "progressive" or "light" or "heavy" or [my favorite] "new" to identify a rod's physical characteristics?

Date: August 22, 2017 09:56PM

When I do rod seminars in the winter I tell the folks that there are no standards I the industry. What Mhx calls a Med Hvy, Rainshadow may call it a medium. Both offering the same line capacity. Also rod manufacturers call one rod a IM6 and another calls ît a 30 Ton graphite. What the heck is 30 Tom graphite? OR worse one companies IM6 is another's IM7.... there need to be done serious standardization of these terms.

Date: August 22, 2017 09:57PM

When I do rod seminars in the winter I tell the folks that there are no standards I the industry. What Mhx calls a Med Hvy, Rainshadow may call it a medium. Both offering the same line capacity. Also rod manufacturers call one rod a IM6 and another calls ît a 30 Ton graphite. What the heck is 30 Tom graphite? OR worse one companies IM6 is another's IM7.... there need to be sone serious standardization of these terms.

Posted by: Earl Estrada (156.75.79.---)
Date: August 23, 2017 02:47PM

Michael Danik, I like #1, but I would think just including a "water based" decal (not a sticker), instead of putting it on the blank might be better. Then we can place it ANYWHERE we see fit.

+1 for Phil Ewanicki

+1 on standardization - Which if you ask me, other than some off brands, it seems like most brands are all part of the "Batson Industries" family, and I am assuming, but I would think they standardized all their stuff.

+1 on 2 piece blanks! It seems like even 9' rod makers like their 1 piece blanks. We need more 2 piece.

And of course I would like to see the blanks become a little less expensive myself. :-)

Posted by: Mat Peirce (---.cluster-n.websense.net)
Date: August 23, 2017 11:40PM

I'd like to see some standards and more ice rod blanks offered

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster