I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodsmith Power Wrapper
Posted by: Rob (---.new-york-31rh15rt-ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 16, 2001 07:45PM

I am considering the purchase of a Rodsmith Power wrapper. I have wrapped over 50 rods by hand including long surf rods. The tedium of making long wraps on saltwater rods is keeping it from being as much fun as it used to be.

Does anyone have any opinions about the Rodsmith? Can it be set up for less than the 8 foot length stated in the catalog? I know some people will suggest that I buy something like the Renzetti, but that is more than I think I need. I don't build rods to sell, I just build a couple of rods a year for myself and for my wife. My wife was hounding me for an idea for a Christmas gift and this was the only thing I could think of.

How is it for turning cork grips? I have an el cheapo lathe that I've used successfully for doing that, but having a power wrapper, dryer, and cork turning mechanism all in one unit appeals to me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodsmith Power Wrapper
Posted by: Kevin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2001 08:09PM

I have had one for maybe three years. Nothing at all wrong with it. I've had a few rods slip out of the chuck but no big deal to retighten it. I have been looking at a Renzetti as an upgrade but really could keep using this one if I wanted to. It seems to be a decent tool for what it is designed for. I really have no complaints.

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 16, 2001 08:57PM

I have had a Rodsmith for over 5years and have had no major problems. I do have to watch that my cork does not slip out when turning down my cork. I stop this slippage by takeing 1/2 inch masking tap and wrap the chuck heads a couple of times.It is a good unit for the price. It is easly modified to hold larg 40 oz. spools. Good luck on your choice. I also have a Rensitte Which I equaly enjoy.
I recomen if at all possible go to a local rod and componet supplier and check one out for yourself.
Good luck Bob

Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2001 08:59PM

They're okay. I used one for several months and it is a decent machine. No reason why you couldn't turn the occasional grip on it either. Sounds like a great toy for Christmas!

Posted by: john bratton (---.eugene1.or.home.com)
Date: November 16, 2001 10:45PM

Rob you mite check out the forcast wrapper that Rich of Richard's Rod and Reel sells.It looks just like a rod smthe good price on it.with the rate of excange what it is i have a rod smith i have had it for a long time.it is ok for the money the best i think. regards John

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 17, 2001 12:30PM

Rob,

I just today ordered a power wrap machine from Rich at Richard's Rod & Reel. I already have a rod lathe for turning cork and a manual wrapping station that I use now. I have to tie up my rod lathe as a dryer. With the WRPMACH I get a power wrapper, a dryer, and an extra lathe. I believe it is made by the same Co. that makes the Rodsmith. I talked to Rich in person on the phone and he took the time to answer all my questions. Rich gave me a great deal besides that faverable exchange rate. He was very helpful and very good to deal with. I am left feeling that if I had a problem with anything I ordered from him, he would make it right. That is worth more than money to me.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Coach (---.gnt.com)
Date: November 17, 2001 09:58PM

I have dealt with Rich and he will do what ever it is necessary to make it right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster