I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line inside Blank
Posted by: Steve Holtzapfel (---.16.184.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 25, 2017 06:26PM

Has anyone ever build a rod where the line is inside the blank? Example: [www.basspro.com]

Thinking I want to try to build one and looking for advise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line inside Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2017 07:37PM

Steve,
There is a lot on the downside and not too much on the upside for a rod like this. -- drag, friction, line wear, fouled line, any debris on the line tends to get sucked into the rod and cause jamming issues. etc. etc.

But, if you want to do it, then by all means go for it and reach your own conclusions.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2017 07:38PM

While this would be possible, to do so effectively would require the proper texture and surface coating on the inside of the blank, plus a sound means of entry into the interior of the rod blank without compromising the blank's strength. Because such blanks, to my knowledge, are not available for sale to the public, you'd have to craft this yourself and it will certainly require a good deal of work.

The idea behind such rods is that you have almost perfect stress distribution and dispense with the weight of the guides. Both of which are very good things. The downside is that line tends to pick up and bring unwanted dirt and debris inside the rod blank, and the surface area upon with the line rides is extensive and can induce a lot greater friction than you have on a rod outfitted with guides. In other words, the concept is excellent but the implementation has thus far been lacking a bit.

Posted by: Earl Estrada (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 25, 2017 09:47PM

It a Sabiki Stick! Love those things for catching live baitfish! But impractical for anything else, IMHO...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2017 12:28AM

You have to have a line threader made out of wire to run through the tip, the blank and than out the exit hole to grap the line and pull it through, it has to be with you all the time, or if the line gets in the rod your done for the day.

Posted by: Claude Iler (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2017 08:01AM

I had one years ago , came to me from a friend at Pinnacle Fishing, pain in the rear to thread. Could feel the friction in the blank when drag was being pulled out with a fish. As long as there was tension on the line, very sensitive, otherwise only useful purpose i see is a sabiki rod.

Posted by: Claude Iler (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2017 08:01AM

I had one years ago , came to me from a friend at Pinnacle Fishing, pain in the rear to thread. Could feel the friction in the blank when drag was being pulled out with a fish. As long as there was tension on the line, very sensitive, otherwise only useful purpose i see is a sabiki rod.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2017 01:10PM

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 26, 2017 02:16PM

i,ve been fishing at least 65 years and i don,t recall ever having a lure snap off during a cast on the other hand my memory is a lot shorter.lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 26, 2017 02:57PM

Many years ago a manufacturer made a product where the reel and the rod were all one piece. It was called The "Great Lakes" combination. It was slightly more successful than rods without guides with the line passing through the hollow center of the rod blank.

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2017 03:36PM

I have a couple of Diawa's that are 20-40 and a 15-30 from 10 years or more back. Good idea but dirt would get caught in the hole. If you had a lot of action and the line broke, it was very frustrating to re-rig. The ring inside the tip would crack, and cut the line. So I cut off the tunnel where the line went through and made it a revolving rod. Works good now.

Posted by: Tommy Bee (79.79.172.---)
Date: July 27, 2017 01:21PM

Sounds good in theory but possibly a little gimmicky

If you want a smooth action go for plenty of guides then the line will follow the contour of the blank more closely

In essence ''just enough'' guides is enough, if that makes sense!?

The reality is that when you hook into a good powerful fish the last things on your mind are finesse feel and smoothness and contours of line!!

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 27, 2017 07:51PM

hi tommy..for me one or two more guides than recomended means better hook sets and a better fish fighting tool, more responsive give and take between me and fish. no?

Date: July 27, 2017 08:03PM

Ben,

Then what you have with that one of two additional guides becomes "enough." The "recommended" number of guides has to be a bit flexible due to various blank actions and variations in guide type and style heights. I would imagine that most builders nearly always end up with a guide or two above or below what they consider to be the recommended number, in order to get things the way they want them. With today's modern, lightweight guides, this is rarely a problem.

Date: July 27, 2017 08:04PM

Ben,

Then what you have with that one of two additional guides becomes "enough." The "recommended" number of guides has to be a bit flexible due to various blank actions and variations in guide type and style heights. I would imagine that most builders nearly always end up with a guide or two above or below what they consider to be the recommended number, in order to get things the way they want them. With today's modern, lightweight guides, this is rarely a problem.

Posted by: Mat Peirce (---.honcompany.com)
Date: August 01, 2017 11:33AM

Its been done quite a bit for ice rods
[www.frabill.com]
HT Still fish

Someone, maybe on here, made a fancy line in ice rod with a roller guide mounted on the butt which transitioned the line from a fly reel to the rod blank - it was quite crafty

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2017 03:14AM

I have used Interline rods for smaller fish - up to 12lbs. I have been using them for about 15 years. If you use the cheaper rods, you may end up with some problems such as grooving of the inner collector or the ceramic in the tip breaking. If you travel up the road in the cost of the rods you won't encounter these problems. If you follow the manufacturers directions on flushing out the rod before storage you will have less or no problems. These rods have there niche.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster