I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod grip - how to finish
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.cnrocmta02.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 08, 2017 02:49PM

I'm just now learning to fly fish after chasing bass and crappie all my life. So what's the first thing I want to do? Build a fly rod of course. Just finished turning my first fly rod grip and the question is what type of finish to put on it. If it was just cork, I probably wouldn't use any finish, but since it is a combination of Maple, cork and birch bark I want to. The reel seat is also Maple and I've finished it with gloss spar urethane. I'd like at least the wood portion of the grip to be the same. I'm considering using the spar urethane on the whole grip.

Since I've only just learned how to cast a fly rod and haven't really done any actual fishing, I'd like some comments about having a gloss finish on the grip. I've made a lot of wood grips on my bass rods and I don't think the gloss finish is at all slippery on them even though it looks like it should be. What are your thoughts?

Here are pics of the grip and the seat.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod grip - how to finish
Posted by: Matt Bregartner (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 08, 2017 02:57PM

I've recently used tru oil on a cork grip, and buffed it to a semi gloss finish, and like the results. I personally don't find glossy grips slippery at all.

Date: July 08, 2017 03:00PM

I've considered both Truoil and Tung Oil, both of which I've used before with good results. It's the cork in there that I'm worried about with an oil finish.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2017 04:05PM

Steve

Beautiful work!

My favorite is Tru-Oil. It can build up a gloss finish on cork, wood and bark, and it is not a slippery finish even when wet. Plus it has the advantage of being easily repaired when the nicks and dings eventually happen.

The downside is it takes time and multiple coats, each lightly sanded, and lots of time to build up the finish - its a much lower viscosity than spar varnish or urethane. Think it terms of building up a French varnish finish and you'll get the idea.

My process is to apply a thin (thin as in just covered and no more) coat of Tru-Oil, wait 8 to 12 hours to cure, sand / buff with 0000 steel wool, then wipe with tack cloth (steel wool fragments in the finish is bad). Repeat the process until you have the finish depth you desire. For a gloss finish do not sand / buff the final coat. Be prepared for it to require 8 to 12 Tru-Oil applications, and no, the application of heavy coats of Tru-Oil does not make things go more quickly - it just makes a mess.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2017 04:17PM

Burnt and composition cork takes finish very well, it's the regular cork that doesn't take finish well in my experience.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2017 04:24PM

Tru-Oil works very well on all the materials in your grip. Apply coats until you achieve the finish you desire.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2017 10:16PM

Smooth and slippery are not the same thing. The shape of the grip will preclude it being hard to hang onto, regardless of what finish you use. Wooden hammer handles are most often gloss varnished, but they are not slippery, even in the rain. The shape takes care of that.

Date: July 09, 2017 08:12AM

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll post some pics of the final product.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-138.myvzw.com)
Date: July 09, 2017 06:07PM

Steve,

I have found glossy grips to be very slick, if I have wool gloves on. Now when I fly fish in the winter, I use gloves with silicone on the palms. Test your final product with different gloves, if you plan on cold weather fishing.

Take care,

Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster