I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP and air bubbles
Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (---.cnrocmta03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 06, 2017 08:45PM

Gents a quick question.....just finished applying color preserver to my cross wrap. With it pretty warm out it dried pretty quick leaving a few air bubble craters and some brush strokes on the blank. Do I need to get these smoothed out by applying another coat before I epoxy the wrap. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP and air bubbles
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-157.myvzw.com)
Date: July 06, 2017 09:21PM

Hi Larry,

Craters and brush strokes will be filled by the epoxy, and you won't see them. Whole bubbles will still be visible.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2017 09:50PM

I'm pretty new to this, but I had an issue with craters not covering the thread with CP, so I'd add another coat just to be sure.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 06, 2017 10:40PM

just pick open the bubbles and re coat making sure you have no new bubbles and let it dry and then your finish depending on the type IE high ,medium or lite build medium and lite might not work as well filling the brush marks.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 07, 2017 11:12AM

The next issue is avoiding them in the first place. I don't get bubbles and here is what I do: I put the CP on fairly generously, paying particulare attention to filling the foot tunnel, not worrying about any bubbles. Then I clean the brush. By that time the CP has soaked into the thread well, and there is some excess on the thread. I blot the excess off with a paper towel by touching the paper towel to the threads and rotating the rod. I usually do 2 coats, although I'm not sure it's necessary. Flex Kote white, stirred before each use, and ordered when there is no chance of freezing in the mail.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster