I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod thread color
Posted by: Greg (192.223.226.---)
Date: November 16, 2001 12:13PM

Since I do not fly fish or build too many fly rods I am confused at a statement that I heard yesterday.

The statement was, “Fly rods should not use metallic color threads, they should use earth colors.”

When I do build a fly rod, I let the customer pick the colors, and 90% of the time they choose metallic threads.

Why would colors on a fly rod be different any different from bass rods or any other type of rod???

Thanks,

Greg
[www.ReelsAndEels.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod thread color
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 16, 2001 04:37PM

Who made the statement? Obviously there are folks who think that their way is the only way. I'd let them build their rods the way they want and you do yours the way you want. I don't think color is going to affect the way the rod fishes nor will the fly rod "police" come running to haul you away to an empty pool.

I have heard some people say that the "flash" from metallic colors will spook fish. I take that with a grain of salt - the shadow from a moving rod is much more likely to spook them than any glint of light from something as tiny as a metallic thread inlay or narrow trim band.

Many rod builders use metallic thread on their rods. Some highly thought of commercial makers do as well.

Re: Fly rod thread color
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 17, 2001 12:15AM

I agree with tom, if someone wants mettalic pink wraps on their rod, then DO IT! in fact that sounds like a good idea! tell me who said that, and I'll send him a rod wrapped up in hot pink and saftey orange butt to tip! just kidding! I think my stupid butt slipping around on the rocks is gonna spook more fish than what, 4 square inches of metallic if you use only mettalic thread to wrap the guides, and what about spinners and spoons and such, I thought flash attracted fish!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster