I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Eliminating Epoxy Mixing Issues
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2017 08:34PM

After viewing numerous posts concerning epoxy / epoxy-mixing issues (problems if you prefer), allow me to afford you with procedures I adapted years ago in the composite industry which I have carried over to the related aspects of rod building. An improperly mixed batch of epoxy used to fabricate composite parts for, or repair a race car can produce catastrophic consequences much more severe than any trivial annoyance experienced while building a rod yet simple steps can be employed to eliminate any epoxy (mixing) woes from either.
1.) ALWAYS use the same sequence when mixing. While it does not really matter if you start with the resin (A) or hardener (B), I found it simply more logical to start with the resin followed by the addition of the hardener. If the same sequence is utilized each time, it is virtually impossible to inadvertently mix two parts of A or two parts of B.
2.) Obviously, precise quantities of the mix ratio are imperative. The smaller the total amount to be mixed = the need to be very precise with each quantity. One needs to be very careful here as some epoxy mix ratios are calculated by volume while others are by weight. Thus far, every rod building epoxy I have used has been measured by VOLUME while structural epoxies are typically measured by weight. The graduated syringes are great for lower viscosity epoxies such as wrap finish, especially if combined with self-sealing syringe inserts into the bottle. These awesome little inserts eliminate excess / additional / irregular amounts of either A or B running down the outside of the syringe and into the mix. They are worth EVERY penny, particularly for precise measuring but also eliminating waste ($) and clean-up mess (#*@%^). Always insert the syringe into the sealing cap and then invert the bottle for a few seconds (at least 15) to allow all the air bubbles inside the bottle to rise to the top (now the bottom of the bottle). While retrieving material into the syringe, observe that no air bubbles exist = incorrect amount of material. After use, wipe and immediately return each syringe to its separate Ziploc bag to avoid A or B from contaminating each other as well as introducing dirt particles into future batches..
3.) Mixing. First of all, round-ended mixing sticks (popsicle stick type) are absolutely worthless as they leave unmixed material in the corner of the bottom and side of the cup. Inversely, sticks with sharp corners or edges may scrape bits off the cup and into the mix. I use a slightly modified typical 3/16in wide straight-blade screwdriver which has been deburred with a grey Scotchbrite pad. I have avoided using wood sticks in fear of discovering a wayward chip or splinter in a wrap after it is too late. While mixing, constantly scrape the side of the cup as well as the bottom and especially into the corner, all while using both sides of the stick (screwdriver in my case). When half-way mixed, wipe both flats of the stick against the side of the cup, pull-up additional material from the bottom over the wiped-off material and continue mixing. With large batches of difficult material to mix, it is common to pour a mixed batch into a second cup and continue mixing, however this practice may not be practical here as the quantities are so small.
I have been tempted to try a power-mixer but as of yet, I have not. Many of you love them while others do not see the need. I will probably try one in the future to see for myself.
4.) NEVER use the same mixing stick from batch to batch unless thoroughly cleaned. The same holds true for cups, brushes or other application utensils. The residue from a previous batch WILL adversely affect the following batch(es).
5.) ALWAYS keep the used brushes and cups and allow them to cure while the wraps on the rod cure. If an epoxy issue occurs, these may be utilized to assist in identifying /resolving the issue.
So, there you have it. While most of you may not experience epoxy mixing issues, there are apparently others who do. This is simply my humble offering to help those on this site who may benefit. After all, I have reaped the benefits of numerous posts on this site.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eliminating Epoxy Mixing Issues
Posted by: Lawrence Hale (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 04, 2017 09:18PM

Thanks Mark, very good advice for those new to our vocation or hobby.

I'm not OLD........I'm CHRONOLOGICALLY GIFTED

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2017 09:57PM

Mark has really covered the epoxy mixing subject quite well. The one additional contribution I will make, is to be sure and pour larger amounts of a mix out onto a plate or foil surface as if left in a cup it will heat up an set very fast!

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 04, 2017 10:53PM

For years we poured in the graduated cups. about 90%+ success, tryed syringes less than 35% success, wife and I both gave up. Switched to pumps and now near thirty years with pumps, still running at about 99% success. I have a simple routine , equal stokes, A, B, mix, pour, flame, (to remove bubbles) and apply . I have a 1/2 cc set of pumps set up in two ounce bottles and a 2 cc set of pumps in sixteen oz. bottles. I do a lot of repair jobs and want to be able to do small quantity's when necessary.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 01:30AM

While my suggestions were more directed at mixing epoxy, Phil has mentioned a very valid point in spreading the mixed epoxy onto a larger, flat surface to minimize the thermal build-up within the mixed epoxy which will make it “go-off” faster. I generally do not employ the procedure as I prefer to mix smaller batches, apply quickly, move down the rod, and mix a new batch when required.
I am blown-away with Paul’s reply, but if it works for him, then it may be worth others considering as well. I always employ pumps for mixing 100-400g of structural laminating epoxy but only to make it easier to precisely weigh parts A and B. The ones I use are not precise enough (probably too large) for mixing 5-10cc of wrap finish.
One way or the other, employing a consistent mixing routine will be of vast importance in minimizing, if not eliminating epoxy mixing dilemmas. Find what works well for you and then do it exactly the same each and every time.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2017 08:02AM

I see no way anyone could not get 100% success with syringes.

Posted by: Lawrence Hale (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 05, 2017 08:44AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see no way anyone could not get 100% success
> with syringes.
>
> ...............

I totally agree, Tom. The precision of properly used syringes can't be matched.

I'm not OLD........I'm CHRONOLOGICALLY GIFTED

Posted by: John DeMartini (104.129.204.---)
Date: June 05, 2017 10:10AM

Mark
Very Impressive and helpful.

It is my opinion that most of the adhesive issues are a result of the state of mind of the person doing the mixing.

When mixing adhesives one must devote 100 percent of their attention to this effort.

I have developed what I call the

“Ten Commandments to Minimize Epoxy Mishaps”.

1) Thou shall clear your mind, forget all and focus only at the task at hand.

2) Thou shalt have a clean, uncluttered and dust free work area.

3) Thou shalt have proper lighting and ventilation of the work area.

4) Thou shalt select the correct adhesive for the application at hand.

5) Thou shalt read the mixing instructions for correct ratios of volume or weight.

6) Thou shalt use mixing cups, applicators and tools which are compatible with the epoxy.

7) Thou shall plan each move and execute with careful precision.

8) Thou shalt have at the ready cleanup materials for spills or final wipe down.
9) Thou shalt let the epoxy fully cure before using rod.

10) Thou shalt upon completion of the project indulge a libation for a job well done.

Always excited about #10

John

Date: June 05, 2017 10:20AM

I hope to never again match the results I experienced with syringes. Haven't picked one up for epoxy work in well over twenty years. Guess my mileage just varied.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2017 11:35AM

Paul,

If you measure to the marks on the syringes, there is simply no way you can experience a failure. I would really like to know what your process was for using them as they are about as foolproof as anything can be.

There are a couple of things I can imagine that may have caused your problems - 1. Trying to mix too little. In order to provide some minor margin for error, it is recommended that you mix at least 3ccs of both parts. You can, of course, get perfect results with less but you have to be very careful that you are pulling to an exact mark on the syringe. Not hard to do, really. 2. Getting an air bubble in one or both syringes which would cause the actual amount of product in either syringe to be less than indicated which would cause an out of ratio mix. The solution in this instance would be to make sure the syringe tip is placed well below the surface of the component part as you withdraw it.

Perhaps your problem stemmed from something else, but these are the two things that immediately come to mind.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 12:57PM

Paul - I agree with Tom, your problem is due to something else. There is no better way to measure epoxy then the use of syringes. They can measure very small amounts quite accurately. I routinely mix 0.5 ml or less of epoxy for repair jobs with no problems. The only reason I can think of to account for your poor success rate using syringes is that you may have used medical syringes, which are silconized to facilitate drug delivery or blood withdrawal. The silicon in these syringes will prevent the epoxy from setting up properly. Bottom line is never get your syringes from a pharmacy or medical supply store.
Norm

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 01:38PM

How do you have less than 100% for any epoxy method?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 01:38PM

How do you have less than 100% for any epoxy method?

Date: June 05, 2017 02:08PM

Not to worry folks, I'm not having any problems measuring epoxy, I use pumps. I cant recall the last time I missed a measurement on the mix. I do change the pumps about every five years or so. Other than that, there is no advantage to me using syringes. With the pumps I just count the strokes,equal A equal B . Ive tried both syringes and pumps, I prefer pumps . There is no right or wrong answer, just choice.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-214.myvzw.com)
Date: June 05, 2017 02:21PM

Amen, Paul.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Dave Schappell (---.sub-174-200-21.myvzw.com)
Date: June 05, 2017 02:37PM

One thing you don't need to worry about using pumps...getting your syringes mixed up...don't ask me how I know...rookie mistake! :)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-70-196-142.myvzw.com)
Date: June 05, 2017 02:44PM

Whatever works for you! Syringes work for me.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 03:33PM

do the pumps work just as well with the e-poxy glues..thanks.

Date: June 05, 2017 03:44PM

Our pumps work great with our finishes and glues, with the exception of our new @#$%& OR HIGHWATER OEM Paste Epoxy.

Flex Coat Company
www.flexcoat.com

Date: June 05, 2017 03:47PM

Pardon me, our new H-E-double hockey sticks OR HIGHWATER OEM Paste Epoxy.

Flex Coat Company
www.flexcoat.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster