I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ned heads,Mid-West, and Mushroom heads.
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 04, 2017 05:37PM

I don't remember reading if anyone has built a rod for fishing the Ned Rig. I'd like to stir the pot here and see what comes off the bottom.
These remind me of the Slider head or Do nothin technique which Charlie Brewer came out with a purposely built rod, a 5' UL buggy whip.
My choice would be a 6' nail rated for 4-8 # line, 1/16-1/4oz. Blank recommendations?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2017 06:30PM by Dennis Danku.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ned heads,Mid-West, and Mushroom heads.
Date: June 04, 2017 10:43PM

I did a search and found the info I needed for Ned rods just a few months back. Thanks.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 07:43AM

I strongly believe there are much better choices for the Ned than 5 foot buggy whip. If the Ned has a problem, it is in the hook set. Shorter rods have poorer hook set capability than longer blanks, especially in the light tips and powers that work the best for Neds. Their casting distance is also more limited than longer blanks. I have been using an Immortal 7' 3" walleye blank with pretty good success. There may be a better answer, but I do not yet know it. It casts the light jigs well, allows good feeling of even the lightest pick-ups, and gives a reasonable hook set percentage. Most of my Ned fishing is in reasonably open water, so it handles fish well enough.

I look forward to other builders commenting on their best Ned rig rods.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-138.myvzw.com)
Date: June 05, 2017 10:13AM

Agree. An UL would not be my choice, whatever the length. The rod I use for a Ned rig(pretty much a last resort technique for me) is an Immortal walleye blank, 7'2" ML, built as a casting rod.

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: June 05, 2017 11:48AM

I'm using a 7'6" MHX sj9000. It's a light power but can cast a mile. The hook sets are great because of the extra length and the light wire hooks used. It's interesting, but the bubblegum colored TRD is killing it for smallmouth right now.

Date: June 06, 2017 12:20AM

Mike, Gary, and Joe. Thanks for your response but I'm on foot fishing streams and small lakes and a 7 footer just won't due.A 6' rated for 6# line with some backbone is what I;m after.It'll be micro'd using 6# mono with a full cork tenn. handle. A 1/8 oz head is too heavy so I'll need something that can detect the lightest pickup of these baits. Thanks again and the search continues,

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: June 06, 2017 07:29AM

REVS62ML-SB Finesse/Tubes/Small Crankbaits 6'2" 6-12 1/8-3/8 0.425 5 Fast ML 1.42 $46.32

??

REVS62UL-SB UL Trout & Panfish 6'2" 2-6 1/32-3/16 0.369 4.5 Fast UL 1.01 $37.24

??

If it can be no more than 6 feet, cut 2 " off the butt. Not sure the second blank will have enough backbone.

FX601-1
6' 1-6 1/32 - 1/4 0.311 4.5 Fast 0.78 $58.00 (Liberty blank) ??

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 06, 2017 11:10AM

Hello Michael.

Michael, the FX601 is a Phenix Elixir blank, I don't know about Liberty Blanks but looked in GetBit and they did not list one.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2017 12:30PM

Try the MHX SJ720, more backbone than one would expect. A very nice blank for the price.
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Date: June 06, 2017 02:51PM

Not a Liberty, is a Phoenix, sorry I mis-spoke. But I did copy and paste those specs from GetBit.

Date: June 06, 2017 09:41PM

Thank you guys for all your research.All the blanks you listed were right in the ballpark and it came to a tossup between the REVS62ML-SB and the MHX SJ720.
Well after alot of thinking the REVS62ML won out and this is why. The REVS62ML is 2" longer, has a heaver butt and the same size tip. The price is the same and I have 2" to play with if I decide to trim it down to 6'. I'll see what it feels like and go from there. I'm gonna give it a try.
Again, thanks to you all for the help and hope I can someday do the same.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Lawrence Hale (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 07, 2017 08:19AM

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Ned rig?

I'm not OLD........I'm CHRONOLOGICALLY GIFTED

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2017 01:42PM

I built a couple of really light rods on the Rainshadow IMMWS62MXF walleye blank. It's a 6'2" blank that I cut to 5 1/2' for one and left the other 6'2". I throw a 1/16 oz worm in rivers with the rods and they are very sensitive.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2017 02:21PM

Lawerence, here is a little info on a Ned rig.
[zmanfishing.com]
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2017 11:33PM

MHX Shooter rod blank of your choice.

Date: June 08, 2017 07:16AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lawerence, here is a little info on a Ned rig.
> [zmanfishing.com]
> Norm

Thanks for the link, Norman. I enjoy learning new techniques.

Date: June 08, 2017 07:16AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lawerence, here is a little info on a Ned rig.
> [zmanfishing.com]
> Norm

Thanks for the link, Norman. I enjoy learning new techniques.

Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 19, 2017 04:05PM

I'm disappointed you didn't go for the 720. I love this blank. i am building my second and the blank for the third is waiting in my rack. If I can can find a 6'6" rod that will match it, i will buy it.
The rod will cast down to 1/24th oz and has caught fish over ten pound. Throwing light weights accurately for Trout and Bream in Australia is what I use this rod for. When I find a better blank especially 6'6" or 7', I will buy one. Meanwhile I am stuck on the MHX SJ720.
Braith

Braith

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2019 11:36AM

Hands done the best Ned rig blank is either the MHX NSJ870-MHX or the MHX NSJ871-MHX blanks. I have built and used both of these plus several St. Croix SCV 7'-7'6" blanks and the MHX are the best for this. It depends on the size of jig you are throwing as to which rod you will you. I use these rods for fishing hair jigs, small tube (1/16 oz. 2.5 inch) and ned rigs for smallmouth on the great lakes. They are both excellent for fighting big fish. I have taken numerous smallies over 6 pounds on both of these rods. They are both 7'3" and have a very fast action (I would say extra fast) and very good backbone. They can set the hook very well. Combine the rods with Nanofil and you will be able to cast the lighter jigs a long ways.
Give them a try.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.tdbp-r-009.bat.tas.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 15, 2019 01:54AM

Great to hear your opinion of the NSJ870. I bought one after using the using the HM-SJ871 with plenty of success and pleasure. I call this rod the "Schloofer". Works well in lots of different situations. Plenty of muscle down the bottom and like a buggy whip up top. Unfortunately, I don't think it is on the list currently. I'm sure the NSJ870 will match or beat it.
Cheers
Braith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster