I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

best guide setup
Posted by: mel segal (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 30, 2017 12:06PM

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but have been building fly rods from blanks on an occasional basis for quite some time. I'm considering building a 7 weight from a Winston B111x blank I have, using Fuji SIC titanium guides for the first 4 guides and Recoil single foot guides for the remainder. I want to maintain a light and lively mid-tip, but I think the ceramics would add a smooth castability down low. Have others tried this? What are the pros and cons? All feedback is appreciated...Thanks, Mel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best guide setup
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2017 03:38PM

Mel,
If you are building a fly rods, there are virtually no guides that are really any better than snake guides.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2017 04:49PM

The Pacific Bay Minima guides work quite well on fly rods. Although I have used very lightweight ceramics in the past, over the last few years I am using the Minimas almost exclusively on fly rods. I find them to be an excellent all-around, best of world's type guide for fly rods.

Date: May 31, 2017 06:41PM

Have you ever combined the Minimas or light ceramics with titanium snakes, single or double foot?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2017 12:53PM

I have not. Doubt there would be any practical benefit as the Minima's are so light to begin with.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 01, 2017 08:35PM

Mel,
I routinely build using single foot light wire titanium for the top 3 or 4 guides, changing to snake further from the tip and insert guides for the stripper and next guide up. I also typically use 9 guides for a 9' rod and 8 for an 8' rod.
The blank you are choosing is a nice casting blank and the guide weight reduction at the rod tip only improves upon an already good blank.
Quicker rod response, easier mending and a lighter overall "feel".
The rod doesn't need any extra "bling" or any parasites dragging down the performance. The quicker the rod tip responds to your stroke, the better.

Gene

Date: June 01, 2017 09:45PM

Thanks... I agree with the pursuit of lightness and quickness, especially toward the tip.. why not use recoils for all the running guides? Why bother with the snakes?... Mel

Date: June 02, 2017 09:17AM

Mel,
Been there, done that. Still have several rods built that way that have caught many fish.
I did experience a reduction in fly line life though. This is most likely due to the contact nature of the guide. Under load while playing a fish the guide acts as a scraper due to it's geometry perpendicular to the rod blank. The snake guides contact the line at an angle distributing load over distance. This results in increased line life and stress reduction against the line, while under load. Similar to contact with a speed bump at an angle versus head-on.
At the rod tip the priority is weight reduction and the lack of blank stiffness reduces the load between line and guide.
Have also used titanium snakes for the guide train after the stripper. Very good performance with the exception of the second wrap required adding weight at the rod tip. Got good fly line life though.
The hybrid approach was where I ended my experimentation.
Good line life with light quick rod response.
Snake guides are the best choice for line control where the line is moving parallel with the blank. Good line control loaded or not. Durable, long lasting, easily threaded, light weight, stress reduction against fly line and reduced friction during the cast and mend. What's not to like ??

Gene

Date: June 02, 2017 10:56AM

I get it... good strippers for shooting line, snakes to balance the load, and lightness at the tip. Sounds like a plan. One last question: Do you use the same size guides for all your running guides or do you gradually downsize? I've always done the latter, but wonder about the former in terms of reduced weight and efficiency... Thanks, Mel

Date: June 02, 2017 01:48PM

Mel,
The tip 3-4 guides are light wire single foot titanium of the same size.
The rest are tapered larger toward the butt with the stripper the largest. Normally a size 12 double foot stripper.
I use a progressive guide distance and believe the greater the distance between guides the greater the variation on entry angle to the guide, therefore the larger the guide diameter required.
I've been through enough experiments to evaluate strength and weakness of various guide layouts.
This is the best compromise I've found. Works for every condition I've yet to run into.

Gene

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2017 09:28PM

Going against the grain a little here. More single foot ceramic guides are lighter than less double foot snake guides. If the rod is 9' then the proper amount of guides is going to be 11 + tip top. I would recommend Fuji L frames for the running guides ceramic (SIC) rings 7mm running guides on Titanium frames and Fuji KW Ti frames with SIC or Torzite rings in size 16mm and 10mm as strippers. An alternate stripper configuration KW frame with 12mm and a L frame 8mm. I do not like single foot snakes because the ring is not completely round instead they have a little niche where it can pinch the line on the back cast. More guides hold the line straighter and decrease wear on the line letting the line travel farther. The problem is these guides are not cheap like the snake guides so they will set you back a little. Use a Fuji KG Arowana Tip Top 7mm. There is no need to use a bunch of different sized guides, 3 different ring sizes is enough (2 different stripper sizes and 1 running guide size).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster