I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod wrapping with a power wrapper over a hand wrapper..
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2017 05:02PM

Mark,
I appreciate your kind words.

When I look through the posts and see the notes about not using the power wrapper for wrapping small guides or trim - my guess is that any power wrapper that they might have does not give the sub 1 rpm control over the speed of their rod.

In addition to the other things mentioned, I thing that the ability to control the rod speed and direction at speeds less than 1 rpm - is perhaps the main reason why many commercial wrappers are not used on small or intricate wraps.

It would make sense, since often when doing hand wraps - particularly small and or intricate wraps, the rod is turned VERY VERY slowly - especially when starting wraps and or doing trim.

But, on some of the commercial wraps, the foot pedal is just barely touched and suddenly the wrapper is turning 5-10 rpm - which may very well be too fast for easy thread guide starting and or intricate wraps.

Hence my continued search for the better design of foot pedal and speed control that I currently use on my own power wrappers.

Good luck

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bret Surrage (---.dsl.snantx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2017 05:23PM

I appreciate all the advise from all of you, I have wrote down everything Roger said and have started the quest in deciding on a power unit, I already have 2 dryers, each a different rpm. so that aspect I should be covered. the cork turning I do not know that I will use one for that as I do all my work inside a office that now is the "fishing room" as my son calls it, now to decide the best investment as to which one..

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2017 07:52PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nate,
> Really no reason to have much waste on finish if
> only building one rod.
>
> Just adjust the quantities of finish that you mix
> so that you have minimum finish left after the
> finish application on the rod.
>
> If you use the typical flex coat style metered
> syringes, it is easy to get the exact amount
> needed for finishing one, two or a dozen rods at a
> time.
>
> Whether you mix finish for one rod or for several
> rods, just be sure that you mix sufficiently so
> that there is a 100 % good solid mix of both parts
> A and B to insure that you will have the perfect
> finish.
>
> ------------------------------------
> Nate,
> I am curious, you indicated that you have a power
> wrapper. You further indicated that you have been
> and are building fishing rods.
> Since you have the power wrapper, what is the
> reason that you are NOT using the power wrapper to
> build your fishing rods?
>
> Take care

Roger - I mostly have waste when I do ice rods as I try to mix a mon of 0.5ml to 1ml and always seem to have 25-50% of it left. Open water rods are less obviously but still some waste. But it's a small price to pay to make sure I don't mix up a bad batch.

For the power wrapper question, I use the rollers but not power wrapper because I build so few rods and feel I have note control doing it by hand. I use it to apply all my thread finish and dry the rods though.

Date: May 23, 2017 11:53PM

Thank you all for all the knowledge and advice, I think I will go with a power wrapper and test the waters for say, I still have my hand wrappers so I'm not loosing any options as I see it after everything you all have said. If it helps then I have gained that much more.. I really do enjoy building and probably put more on my self as far as the outcome this short into the learning but then no one has held my personal outcome higher than I do my self. thanks again from everyone and the forum for all the best information there is..
Bret

Posted by: Dave Schappell (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 12:08AM

Brett,

Since you've decided to go with a power wrapper, have you looked for a used one? When I was looking a few months ago I ran across a few that seemed to be decent deals, They are out there you just have to be patient.

Good luck,

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 12:55AM

Bret if you are breaking the thread you have a problem # 2 I think
# 1 . your thread is rotten ?
# 2 you are wrapping way to tight,
you should be able to move the guide around the rod, it will be tight but it will move ,
# 3 or your set up has a burr some place that is cutting the thread on you
from your comments I think it is way to tight , do a little research on the web site ,
you have to be able to line the guides up as well as pack the thread ,
also when you pull the tags in you will be breaking the tag a lot

William Sidney
AK

Date: May 24, 2017 10:28PM

Bill I bought all my thread at the same time off @#$%&, maybe it is not sure, looks good, my tensioner don't seem to have a burr I have run a cotton swab and nothing shows, and tension I have the nut just a turn or too, I have felt when the thread gets tight and it has pulled in farther so I pull it back and re set it.. I have only had a couple pull tags break. Do I need to try different thread maybe, I did get some silk and wrapped one rod, seem to have a lot of.... like little hairs off of it..

Date: May 24, 2017 10:44PM

Dave I have looked and been watching some, I guess my problem I'm just not sure what to go with.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 25, 2017 02:58PM

if your pulls break you are to tight , what makes good pulls is breaded fish line very low weight , wash it with DNA before use, I use 6 lb bread could not find 4 LB , put a bead on it so you can find it easy
don't for get that the guides have to move to line them up before epoxy is applied

William Sidney
AK

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster