I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Transparent wraps with regular epoxy?
Posted by: Matt Bregartner (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: May 02, 2017 08:27PM

I know lite epoxy is the standard for doing transparent wraps with silk, but I was wondering if anyone has used regular threadmaster of flex coat to do transparent wraps. Thinning 1:1:1, I assume.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transparent wraps with regular epoxy?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2017 08:37PM

THe bottom 2 are Nylon wiht no CP, with TM [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2017 08:45PM

Actually, warm varnish is the standard for making transparent wraps with silk. It can be done with epoxy but requires thinning and most often with denatured alcohol rather than epoxy so that the solvent doesn't evaporate too quickly, before the epoxy has time to penetrate entirely.

Date: May 02, 2017 10:13PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, warm varnish is the standard for making
> transparent wraps with silk. It can be done with
> epoxy but requires thinning and most often with
> denatured alcohol rather than epoxy so that the
> solvent doesn't evaporate too quickly, before the
> epoxy has time to penetrate entirely.
>
> .............

Sorry I wasn't clear. After searching around it seems like most people use lite epoxy, 1: hardener, 1: resin, and 1: acetone/DNA.

What I'm trying to find out is if using regular epoxy and thinning it the same proportion is viable or do I need to get lite epoxy.

Date: May 02, 2017 10:29PM

The idea is to use a thin mixture so the lite epoxy is generally better. However, not to say it can't be done with the standard viscosity. As long as everything penetrates fully prior to setting or the solvent evaporating, you'll be okay. If you work fairly quickly, you should be fine.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 02, 2017 10:34PM

As Tom said, Warm Varnish is one way.

I have used Threadmaster Lite with great success without thinning it to get transparent wraps. The color of the silk used depends on the color of the blank. If you are using a "clear" fiberglass blank, like a McFarland, white silk will go totally invisible, it does not even look like thread was used.

If you have a solid color or semi translucent blank, "natural silk" or very light tan silk will give you the same result, depending on the brand of silk. White Silk from my experience on these blanks does not go clear, it actually looks awful due to the base color of the blank, the thread will look "spotty" if you can picture that. My best results have been with YLI Natural Silk for most blanks, but some Light Tan looked better.

While I have not used regular build TM or Flex Coat, your best bet is to buy several spools of silk and do some test wraps, YLI Silk, Clover and the house brand Silk at Anglers Workshop are stuff I use pretty regularly. Each brand has its perfect mate in a blank color, like I said, do some test wraps.

One other key point, the first coat really needs to penetrate, so a very light coat of the regular build might work just fine for you.

Enjoy

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2017 11:07PM

I many times use white silk thread and regular viscosity epoxy, thinned to an almost water consistency with DNA for the first coat. Allow to cure for at least 24 hours then coat with regular epoxy. Wraps completely disappear!

I have done this on Bamboo and colored graphite rods.

Date: May 02, 2017 11:46PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> I many times use white silk thread and regular
> viscosity epoxy, thinned to an almost water
> consistency with DNA for the first coat. Allow to
> cure for at least 24 hours then coat with regular
> epoxy. Wraps completely disappear!
>
> I have done this on Bamboo and colored graphite
> rods.
Phil, what ratio do you thin at?

I'm on the fence of ordering epoxy, but part of me thinks just thinning regular appropriately will get it thin enough.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: May 03, 2017 12:23AM

Regular will work.
Do some guides and stop when it start to thicken (and do a new mix to continue).

The ratio can be as high as 1:1:1 but the less acetone or DNA the better, if your epoxy run like water at 1:1:0.5 you will be ok.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2017 02:13AM

I am admittedly much more familiar structural (basically 4 to 1 by weight) epoxies than the 1 to 1 varieties typically used in rod building. I am amazed so many thin these epoxies with acetone or DNA = I would never consider it for structural composites. While I am certainly not implying you are wrong, I am curious as to any ultimate ramifications thinning these rod building epoxies might create. I am here to learn, not accuse.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 03, 2017 08:04AM

Thinning epoxy with a solvent does indeed affect its final structural properties. This often manifests in checking or cracking at some point. This is one reason why epoxy formulators do not recommend thinning an epoxy.

In this case, the OP is trying to achieve a certain look which he's not going to get with straight epoxy. Since this is not quite a structural application, the eventual structural characteristics of the epoxy is not his priority.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 03, 2017 08:46AM

Epoxy cracks anyway, and Flex Coat does in fact recommend thinning on their site Tip #12 [flexcoat.com]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2017 08:48AM

In a previous post John Cates of Flexcoat mentioned that many rod manufacturers using Flex Coat will thin the first coat with acetone to get quicker penetration of the threads. The proportions he mentioned was 15:1 of mixed epoxy to acetone, I.e. 15 ml of mixed epoxy to 1 ml of acetone. For a smaller amount, 6 ml of mixed epoxy would require approximately 8 drops of acetone. (25 drops is about 1ml). He also mentioned that thinning will increase pot life and prolong curing time, and also mentioned that thinning was only done for the first coat.

I personally do not thin epoxy, but I do trust what John Cates says and what many rod manufacturers do concerning the thinning of epoxy.
Norm

Date: May 03, 2017 10:05AM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
> Epoxy cracks anyway, and Flex Coat does in fact
> recommend thinning on their site Tip #12
> [flexcoat.com]
> t-finish/helpful-tip

I'm not talking about the hairline crack that often happens at the end of the guide foot, but overall checking of the finish. There are some posts in the archives here from Ralph O'Quinn that describe it and why it sometimes happens.

Flex Coat is not an epoxy formulator.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 03, 2017 04:50PM

Not to swim up stream - But i have been thinning Flex Coat UV for years -- BUT --- I thin with a lacquer thinner -- ( medium temperature ) -- thinner it will not evaporate as quickly and cuts the finish well Thinners come in three types - Fast - medium - and slow - The medium works well if your place is HOT 90 - cool it off to hot let the finish stay wet as long as it can - Mix well I use about 3 - 5 drops in a CC - Of the HIGH BUILD
Experiment There is a little learning curve

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2017 06:21PM

Matt, to answer your question regarding ratios, I do not measure, what I do is mix the two epoxy parts (regular Threadmaster) then drip DNA into the mix until I get the consistency I want, somewhere between water and syrup.

I only thin the initial coat to assure complete penetration, this provides the clarity, with very minimal build up. then another coat of regular epoxy for bonding and appearance

As I mentioned above, be sure to let the initial coat cure thoroughly so that the DNA has vented off.

I have had customers swear that I didn't use thread on these wraps.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-210.myvzw.com)
Date: May 05, 2017 10:01AM

40 years, thousands and thousands of rods built with thinned first coats....no issues

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.static.hvvc.us)
Date: May 05, 2017 10:21AM

Something to consider- I build mostly big game rods and will always add a thin coat of epoxy to my underwraps. One time I did not have any "lite" epoxy so thinned my underwrap coat with acetone to get the thinness I wanted. The top coat on the overwraps was not thinned. The wraps were white with blue inlays. Over a few months I noticed that the portion where the underwrap showed had turned darker amber than the overwrap which only had the unthinned epoxy on it. I later talked to somebody at System Three I think it was and they said the acetone may have destroyed the UV protectors that were in the epoxy. That is why only the underwrap portion turned dark. Both actually turned a little amber but the underwrap part was worse. So my concern would be that even if your silk wrap goes transparent will the epoxy amber enough that it is obvious that it is there? I know the thread color may also have something to do with this. Maybe thinned varnish is the way to go?

Date: May 05, 2017 11:47AM

Matt Bregartner Wrote:
> I know lite epoxy is the standard for doing
> transparent wraps with silk, but I was wondering
> if anyone has used regular threadmaster of flex
> coat to do transparent wraps. Thinning 1:1:1, I
> assume.

It would be a simple experiment to find out what you want to know. Just try it on a sample stick with a single wrap. That way when you do it on the actual project there won't be any surprises and therefore no do-overs necessary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster