I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

to make a pull loop out of Braid ???
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 01:48AM

A question, when I make a pull loop out of braid ?? I use 10 LB, what I found out [ NEW BRAID ] has a packing wax that I remove with a
DNA wash, , don't know if it creates a problem when you apply the epoxy to the wrap ?? I just remove it ,
"' WAX "" don't know what to call it but it looks an feels like wax that you can remove with a finger nail scrape on it ,
this braid is /was for ice fishing , if it mean's any thing , any one else run into this ??????

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: to make a pull loop out of Braid ???
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-136.myvzw.com)
Date: April 29, 2017 04:19AM

Hi Bill,

I have noticed that on new line. I only use old, used line to make my loops with. And even then I wash it with alcohol and then soap and water.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 11:34AM

Bill,
I use 10 lb Power Pro braided new line with no issues.

I might suggest that you use different line - like Power Pro with no wax on it. No need to introduce any other issues to your rod building.

I have been very happy with Power Pro high vis yellow line. I also put a bright small red bead on the pull line to give the pull loop a handle to pull with, and to also make the loop more visible in case it is dropped.

Good luck

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 01:37PM

All very good to know. I am tired of using, or should I say trying to use, D wrapping thread for pull-throughs. I cannot explain why I have waited so long. While it has worked for my first 500 wraps, it twists and bunches up as the loop constricts making it difficult to control the depth of the tag prior to cutting. Thanks, guys!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 04:29PM

Has anyone ever used mono as a pull thread? I am sick of trying to find a piece of thread laying around on the workbench. It can be quite frustrating when looking for a thread when you are so close to finishing a wrap.

Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 06:02PM

I believe the speedy thread puller sold by mudhole is made out of mono. Not 100% sure, but it looks like it. We bought those, and don't use them anymore. The line is too thick and seemed to make the wraps look not as tight as what they were before we used it. We now use braid as a pull through with a bead on the loop. The bead makes it easy to see/grab among everything that seems to clutter our area when wrapping.

Just my $0.02
Gib

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2017 06:46PM

As Gib mentioned, I would think mono or even fluorocarbon line would be too thick.

Like Roger I use 10# regular old Power Pro.

Works great.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 08:16PM

Any issues when using braid pull-throughs with metallic thread?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 09:06PM

Much ado about nothing, IMHO. 4 pound test mono works fine, no washing , no wax, no problems. If you want to find it easily, put on beads to make it like the commercial ones, which by the way, often fail. If you don't want to do that just keep a spool handy and cut off a new one whenever your last one disappears.

Date: April 29, 2017 10:51PM

By the way, the pull loops that I make out of Power Pro 10 lb braid have never broken on me and I only change it out, when it finally gets too used up for good use.

Good luck

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 11:46PM

i use 10 or 20# power pro original with no issues. i think the super slick PP may even work better, but ive yet to try it.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2017 08:24AM

Lynn, I haven't had any problems using a braid pull through on metallic thread. But I'm only pulling it under maybe 10 wraps at the most.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2017 03:42PM

10# Power pro Here also with a Small Bear

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 30, 2017 04:02PM

Hello Barry.

Just what are you going to do with 10# Power Pro and a Small Bear?

Is it a Black, Brown or a Grizzly Bear?

Is it red or glow in the dark?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2017 08:59PM

I use 4lb mono. Have a spool of it and pull off when need be. No need to make it complicated

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 30, 2017 09:16PM

As of lately I have been using Berkley's Nanofil, 8-10 pound. No wax and very slick. Knots don't hold under a lot of pressure. Double tie the ends and play around with different knots. I am using old used line.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Date: May 01, 2017 10:56AM

Doug,
If you want the knots to hold, tie a double surgeons knot and you will be set.

Basically, it is just a simple knot. You form a loop and then you take the tag ends and go over and around back into the loop 5 times. Then, tie a 2nd one the same way and pull it tight to the first one. No failures with that set of knots.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 01, 2017 01:20PM

I use 4-6 lb. mono. Used fireline for awhile, but sometimes it cut through metallic thread and tended to get a little fuzzy after a while. Will try Tuffline.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2017 07:20PM

Double surgeons doesn't hold either, by itself. I tied a overhand knot in the line and it slid till it got to the knot. Nanofil is slick.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 05, 2017 06:34PM

I use ToroTamer hollow core white braid in 20# and 30# for my tie off loops. They have no coating or wax or color and do NOT contaminate threads. They flatten out and minimize the 'footprint' of your tie off loop and pull thru. They do not cut any threads of any size I have ever used. Also as far as I know they are indestructible. I have never had one wear out in 5 years of using them. Probably overkill but they are my favorite by a wide margin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster