I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Pontchartrain Tuna" Popping Rod---Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.static.slid.la.charter.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 08:44AM

Hey all,

I live on the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Some people here really love targeting Jack Crevalles using tuna popping lures. These fish aren't the typical Florida canal 3-5lb Jacks. They get up to 30lbs and more! I'd love to use a Tuna popping blank for its power and because it was presumably designed to work those types of lures. I need something cheap though, as I do not plan on targeting tuna and I want to keep the costs down as much as possible.

I was thinking about using some of Mudhole's CRB "Tuna Poppin' Rod Blanks." Specifically, I was thinking about using the 7'6, 50-100lb model.

Is this a good start or do you think it's overkill? Any other recommendations?

Thank you!

Carlos Saravia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Pontchartrain Tuna" Popping Rod---Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 25, 2017 11:40AM

Hello Carlos.

How much over 30#, and is there a need to keep them out of structure?
If they are over the 50# mark a lot of the time or if there is a lot of structure in the area you fish I do not think it's overkill but I like a gooooood fight and would go for something in the 60# range.
If they are not over the 50# mark a lot I would not go over 50#.
If they rarely go over the 50# mark and I did not have to worry about structure I would not use anything over 40# and maybe as low as 30# or even 25#.

Structure has a lot to do with fishing Jacks, they like to wrap you up in it, and a Jack is a strong fish, so knowing the area is important, around here Jacks like reefs but are still found between reefs and even in open sea, they are travelers you know, though I doubt they travel as much as Tuna.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.static.slid.la.charter.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 04:08PM

Thanks for the help, Robert!

There is definitely some structure where I'll be fishing. There are a couple of pretty long bridges where the Jacks like to swim along to ambush bait. I think I'll probably go with the lighter rating, as you recommended, to make it a little bit more fun and to make the fight last a little longer.

Thanks!

Carlos Saravia

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: April 25, 2017 08:33PM

Mud hole has one in their clearance blanks right now. I think it's a 7'6" 2pcs 30-50lb 1-6oz lure blank. It's about 50% off. That might fit the build.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 09:14PM

You could look at the Rainshadow Tuna Popper blanks from Batson. 8' is over your preferred size, but they are awfully sweet blanks.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2017 11:02PM

I have caught a lot of jacks. It has been my experience that they don't run you into cover like a snook will.

One of my memorable battles was with one at a series of docks where party boats set out from. It was on ten pound test and lasted about an hour. The whole time a police office was yelling at me as I was running up and down the docks in an epic battle. I got a real big ticket because of that fish (for a teenager)! I would say it was well over 20 pounds. So they can be caught in heavy cover with light line.

I have two rods right now that I think would be perfect. One is a lamiglas tri-flex "kayak series" 7 foot rated @ 15-30 (but can easily fish 40#). I don't think you could break it if you tried. The other is a St. Croix SC3 inshore, again 7 foot and rated 15-30#. That one you could break if you tried but it is up to the task as I use it for smoker sized kingfish.

No way do you need a 50-100# tuna blank for a jack. Scale down and enjoy the fight.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2017 08:52PM

" pretty long bridges " ??? LOL that dang causeway bridge is like 31 miles long

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 05, 2017 06:40PM

The CRB Tuna Popper blanks are very durable and meet your budget criteria. They are also very heavy. I can't throw one all day for YFT out of Venice. So I went looking for other options.

So far my very favorite rod for this application is a Black Hole Challenger 801M or 801H. Very reasonable compared to Synit or CTS blanks and they will put 100# YFT on the deck (with the right reel and leader system) while also throwing 2 oz poppers all day with ease.

I have caught a bunch of jumbo JC off the beach in Alabama and the big fish (to almost 50#) are not line shy. If you are worried about structure / abrasion make a 'twisty' leader like they use for GT in the Southern hemisphere. Lots of tutorials on YouTube, but I'd recommend an 80# twisty section to a bite tippet of 150# or so. Hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster