I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
St Croix 5S70MF
Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: March 20, 2017 10:41PM

Can anyone give me a general idea as to the power of this blank? Anybody measure one up? Data would be awesome. I'm actually looking at the 2 piece model, but anything will help. Believe it or not, I've never even fished a Croix!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix 5S70MF
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:45PM

[www.mudhole.com]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:50PM

Matthew Paul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.mudhole.com]-
> Graphite-Spin-Cast/St-Croix-5S70MF-G-Bass-Walleye-
> Rod-Blank

Have you used this blank, or are you just showing me one of the many places I can order it?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 01:54AM

It's a "Jack of All Trades" rod blank, topwaters, small jigs, small spinnerbaits, jigworms, heavier dropshots, etc.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (---.spok.qwest.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 02:24AM

What's the low end? Will it handle a 1/8 oz wacky jig and finesse worm? At the other end of the spectrum, will it give me solid hook sets with a 4.5" paddle tail and exposed 4/0 hook? That's exactly what I'm after. A versatile, multi talented travel rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2017 09:24AM

It has good power in the mid and butt areas, with a fairly light tip. It's not a powerhouse blank, but it's not an extremely light power blank either. You can probably get a 1/8 ounce jig or worm out there with it, but don't expect extreme distance. Getting a good hook set with an exposed hook shouldn't be any problem.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: March 21, 2017 09:31AM

I would have no way to know, I'm not the angler and I don't know how much angling is done at each of your extremes, or where you'll be fishing them.
Increasing graphite quality doesn't change how a certain power rod works in the real world, it's just better graphite. Don't think I've ever fished that big a paddletail before on that power rod. Sorry I can't help further.
Side note, west coast fishing in our less weedy and deeper environments I would have no problems, same with US and Canadian Shield lakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 09:46AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 10:08AM

I own two of them both one piece and both setup as spin rods with KR guides. They are great rods and are as rated, medium power and fast action. They are good all around rods and have plenty of power for setting hooks. I mostly use them for jigs, and texas rigged unweighted soft plastics. One day I was crappie fishing and I accidentally broke my ultralight rod, so I switched over to the St Croix rod and caught crappie using 1/16 oz jigs, which it threw very well, but with some effort. Have also used it to throw a 3/4 oz launcher cork with a streamer to catch schooling fish. So the lure range is quite broad, as I have found to be true for a lot of high modulus rods. If you wish I can do a quick CCS measurement for it power rating.
Norm

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: March 21, 2017 12:14PM

I have used this blank with 1/8oz jig heads and a 2 3/4" tube. I have also thrown slender pointer 112mrs with it. It is a great all around blank as mentioned above and very light. That being said it does not like weights clanging off it on accident, accidental hits against the gunnel of the boat, or rough removal from the rod locker. Really non of the upper modulous blanks do, if your not careful or prone to accidental abuse look at lower modulus blanks. One of my favorites along with the 6'8" xtra fast blanks.

DG

Date: March 21, 2017 12:20PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I own two of them both one piece and both setup as
> spin rods with KR guides. They are great rods and
> are as rated, medium power and fast action. They
> are good all around rods and have plenty of power
> for setting hooks. I mostly use them for jigs, and
> texas rigged unweighted soft plastics. One day I
> was crappie fishing and I accidentally broke my
> ultralight rod, so I switched over to the St Croix
> rod and caught crappie using 1/16 oz jigs, which
> it threw very well, but with some effort. Have
> also used it to throw a 3/4 oz launcher cork with
> a streamer to catch schooling fish. So the lure
> range is quite broad, as I have found to be true
> for a lot of high modulus rods. If you wish I can
> do a quick CCS measurement for it power rating.
> Norm

That would be outstanding! If you could measure it, I can compare it power wise to some other blanks I have. Thank you everyone for all your replies. It sounds like it should work for my purposes.

Date: March 21, 2017 08:43PM

I just got back from fishing, I will get a quick measurement on it in the morning.
Norm

Date: March 22, 2017 11:14AM

Mark, did the CCS numbers on my SCV70MF. It took a 160 cents (400 gm) to deflect the rod 1/3 it's length, with an AA of about 68 degrees. This equates to an ERN of 15.15. Since I have a Rod Geeks B470MF which I got at the expo, I also measured it for comparison. It took 152 cents (380 gems; ERN=14.6) and had an AA of about 66 degrees. Might be off on the AAs, had a hard time reading my printed protractor and the scale was not very fine. Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: March 22, 2017 01:31PM

Thank you Norm. Much appreciated

Date: March 22, 2017 02:04PM

If you want something faster and more powerful try the Point Blank PB701MLF, or even the PB701LXF. These are very powerful but light blanks, that throw a wide range of lure weights. I really like them a lot, they are really exceptional blanks. Their listed CCS ERN and AA are pretty close to what I have measured on the two rods I have (PB701MF and PB691MLF).
Norm

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 05:37PM

I thought Point Blank numbers aren't true CCS numbers?

Date: March 22, 2017 10:58PM

That is not completely true. The Point Blank specs give two different types of measurements one is an RDA measurement and I have absolutely no idea as to how it is conducted. They also give CCS data showing only the AA and ERN. Anglers Resource was getting some grief over the RDA measurements which are not CCS. Since I had a PB 701MF Point Blank in hand I went and measured it via CCS, and weight required to bend the rod 33% via CCS was quite different than that listed for RDA. This Blank has an ERN of 23.1 and an AA of 78. Since the CCS publications I have read only go as high as 7.9 ERN (62 cents) I had no idea what this ERN meant as far as weight was concerned. Jim Spooner sent me a chart that converted ERN to Cents, and a 23.1 ERN equated to 276 cents (690 gm), which was extremely close to what I got when I did the CCS measurements. So I have no reason to doubt that the CCS data presented for Point Blanks are correct, since I got the same values. Another chart in the library, from NFC, also gives ERN to Cents conversion if you are interested.
Norm
Correction: The highest ERN I've seen in Dr Hanneman's publications was 16 (173 cents).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 11:05AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2017 05:35AM

Thanks Norm. The ERN confused me because I have only seen it used for fly rods.

Date: March 23, 2017 11:06AM

The higher the ERN the more power the rod has.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 03:03PM

I get 452 grams 77 degrees. Great blank, I've built 4 for my family and me. Point Blank now gives their version and the true version of CCS, as stated above.

Date: March 23, 2017 08:09PM

Michael, what Blank was that for, the SCV S70MF? The one I measured is about 4 or 5 yrs old and equipped with guides. I think it predates St. Croix's most recent upgrade. If this is so, then their upgrade resulted in a more powerful and faster rod. This does not really surprise me with the advances make in carbon fiber and the new resins being used. I wish all manufacturers would give CCS numbers for their blanks, makes comparisons easy. On second thought, Maybe that's the reason most do not use them!
Norm

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster