I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quickcoat Dryer
Posted by: Scott Greenberg (---.albany.thebiz.net)
Date: November 15, 2001 02:28PM

We just had some time to test the Quickcoat dryer on a rod and
are very pleased with the results. The finish was definitely as good
as any other finish on the market-- done in the regular time consuming way.
Taking 15 seconds per guide, the entire rod was done in minutes!
Ready to go with no bubbles or footballs. We did not experience any problems with fuses. Overall, we have to say that
this is a pretty remarkable way to finish rods and do repairs.

Scott
Merrick Tackle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quickcoat Dryer
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2001 07:01PM

I have done repairs on many foreign made rods and the finish was extremely hard and brittle. It also usually had a yellow/brown cast to it. Would this be the same thing? I'm not knocking the system but have seen some really awful finish on these cheaper imported rods and wouldn't want to wind up with that sort of thing unless maybe I was just turning out quick repair work.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 16, 2001 09:14AM

William,

The curing apparatus and the particular epoxy used must be considered two separate things. This UV light cured system works as advertised although the epoxy used with it is quite a bit different from what you are used to in the 2 part varieties. We are doing some long term tests on it now for coloration, flex, hardness and adhesion. It is just too early for me to draw any conclusions at this point. What I do know is that for quick repair jobs where you must get a fisherman back on the water right then and there, this is the only system I am aware of that would allow you to do that.

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 17, 2001 12:21AM

I also have experienced the yellow brittle finish that william wa talking about, better wear some safety glasses when you unwrap a guide, that stuff is awful! I hope this new thing isn't using that nasty stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster