I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
rod accuracy?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:20AM

I often read about a certain blank or rod being more "accurate" than others. Rifles with shot-out barrels will become less accurate - change point of impact - but I can't see how accuracy applies to fishing poles? No two rods will cast the same, but doesn't one rod continue to cast in the same direction while a competent caster adjusts to its "point of impact"? It's a poor workman who blames his tools.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod accuracy?
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:55AM

Phil

Come on Phil, the marketing types have to eat too!

Seriously, I always get a laugh when I read the advertising pronouncements regarding ever increasing levels of accuracy. The same for "reserve power", for which I've yet to find a button on a rod to unleash the reserved power beast.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 12:15PM

Phil,
Simpy put, a rod works well for a particular purpose or less well for a particular.

Do your best to build a specific rod for a particular purpose and let you and your clients enjoy the results of the build.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2017 12:44PM

The lure or bait will go where you throw it. And the performance of a modern graphite fishing rod isn't going to change over the course of a hundred thousand casts or a few thousand fish. The fatigue life of a carbon fiber rod is many times over that of earlier glass rods. In any event, you would certainly adjust for any rod if it did begin to lose performance, which even then would only happen at a small degree over time, not in a sudden dramatic instant.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2017 12:57PM

Every Angler has their take on casting or just fishing in general. For me, in the world of Bass Fishing, when I want to make more accurate casts, I turn to a extra-fast tip flex MHX Rod Blank. In this situation, I am not worried about distance, rather the pin-point accuracy the extra-fast tip flex helps to provide for me.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 01:24PM

Phil

I do not understand what "accuracy" means. A fishing rod is just like any tool and is only as good as the user handles and maintains it .
Over time I suspect the rod suffers some kind of fatigue but it is gradual and the user conscientiously or subconsciously makes adjustments and continues fishing with it.

Its like growing old you look in the mirror one day and think "HOLY CRAP WHAT HAPPENED TO ME".

As Donald said "the marketing types have to eat too!"

One day I expect to hear a term like "Remote sensitivity anticipation factor" whatever that may mean.

Good luck and have fun

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 03:34PM

Hello John.

It's more like Dr. Bill Hanneman wrote "Fly Rod "Expertise" By The Numbers... Or how to build a "modified formulated response" fly rod".

RodMaker Magazine 6-5 pg. 18, "Systematic Buzz Phrase Projector"
Over the hill hype.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 06:39PM

I do believe that some spinning and baitcasting rods are harder to cast accurately than others. I expect it's true for fly rods too, but i'm not very experienced or talented to comment on fly rods. As the length gets longer, it is harder to precisely cast the lure, especially if you are not going for distance, but are trying to place a lure at moderate to short distances. I also think that the slower the action, the harder it is to precisely place the lure. Not talking fly rods. It might be the opposite for fly rods.

I do not believe that glass or graphite rods suffer anything from age or number of casts. The modulus of elasticity does not change, the power does not change, the action does not change. The only thing that would change a rod would be to break it, or to have massive grip damage that would compromise ergonomics. I'm assuming we are not talking about broken or damaged guides.

IMHO. Yes, I have no objective data.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:01PM

Unless there is some thing structurally wrong with a rod, a good caster will adapt to the rods characteristics ( any type of rod) and be able to make accurate casts.

Some rods are more appropriate for each type of cast. Example, if trying to long distance casts with a fly rod, a soft slow rod is not the ideal, it can be done , but takes an experienced caster to achieve acceptable results. On the other hand, a faster action rod, makes such a cast easier

Bottom line, is it is not the rod, it is the individual!.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2017 07:44AM

Since there's some talk of hype in this thread, I figure it's ok if I share something I found while surfing the web.

The following is a copy and paste from the online catalog of a fishing tackle supply house. I removed the name of the supply house and rod series

"Stronger, lighter and equipped with Superior Uniform Particle Resin (SUPR) technology, XXXXXXXX XXXXXXX Casting Rod delivers extreme performance and sensitivity for bringing in the biggest fish. SUPR technology combines multiple polymers that remain rigid during normal cast and retrieve, but change shape when external force is applied. After the hookset, the high-performance Toray blank becomes more flexible for enhanced control and shock absorption during the fight"

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2017 07:51AM

Well, if those rods bring in the biggest of fish then I can definitely see an advantage in using them. The rods I currently use don't seem to do that.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 09:45AM

Grin!

Posted by: Jack Justis (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 11:46AM

Bob McKamey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every Angler has their take on casting or just
> fishing in general. For me, in the world of Bass
> Fishing, when I want to make more accurate casts,
> I turn to a extra-fast tip flex MHX Rod Blank. In
> this situation, I am not worried about distance,
> rather the pin-point accuracy the extra-fast tip
> flex helps to provide for me.

Hey old friend. See your still at it.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: March 21, 2017 11:59AM

I started mounting rifle scopes on my surf casting rods.... most acurrate rods in the business. The lure lands in the water every time.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2017 01:28PM

lol Tom. I was talking more about the "SUPR technology"

Evidently it's a combination of polymers that allow a rod blank to go from a fast action, to a moderate fast action. At least that's the way I read it.

And that's a dang fine idea Michael. Sometimes my lure lands in the trees. lol

Date: March 21, 2017 05:28PM

Phil, your comment disputes that the rod is a factor, then you state how the rod is a factor in accuracy.

Date: March 21, 2017 06:06PM

My comment specifically mentioned using the wrong rod for the purpose, which can have effects on accuracy. That is not the rods fault, it is the individuals!

I could not have been clearer!

Date: March 22, 2017 07:17AM

It also specifically mentioned that the caster can adapt to "any rod" that is not structurally damaged and cast it accurately. "It's not the rod."

Date: March 22, 2017 01:09PM

Micheal, we seem to be getting into "nit picking", I never mentioned damage.

My point is that the individual has far more to do with casting accuracy then the tool. I have fished with persons with the finest equipment available who cannot put a fly within 10 feet of where it should be, and I have seen the reverse with good casters using what I would call inferior equipment.

My posts are very much inline with the original post.

Date: March 22, 2017 03:12PM

"Unless there is some thing structurally wrong with a rod. . .". Like damage? Never mind, our points have been made. regards, Mike

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster