I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: rod accuracy?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 03:14PM

"Unless there is some thing structurally wrong with a rod. . .". Like damage? You're right, you said structurally wrong. Never mind, our points have been made. regards, Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 04:47PM

I would appreciate an explanation of how and why "inaccurate" rods throw lines in differing, unpredictable directions and why "accurate" rods throw lines in a consistent, predictable direction. Do "accurate" rods have a higher modulus? Tighter ferrules? Lighter guides? Decorative wraps? Thicker walls? Faster tapers? Physical factors, not faith, must determine which rods are more accurate - IF such rods truly exist. I would eagerly purchase more accurate blanks if repeatable experiments revealed their existence, but I won't buy a blank because of unsupported claims by marketers who refuse to reveal why their rods are so accurate or how much more accurate they are.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 08:15PM

It's just like fly rods that have better "tracking". It's all about the marketing. The more fishermen you get to believe what you are claiming, the more money you will make. If one buys the more accurate rod and it's really not more accurate, it's because he/she doesn't know how to cast it properly. Not the rods fault.

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 09:10PM

the most accurate rod will usually be the one the fisherman has the most confidence in….if the manufacturers claim of a more accurate rod helps the fisherman cast better, then it works….. the most accurate rod is one that is matched with the lure being presented…in the hands of one who knows how to use it. JMHO :-)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 09:58PM

There is a saying in golf...that , "you cannot buy a game!" The meaning is, that buying hyped equipment isn't going to improve your game. The same is true in fly rods. Spending $$ for hyped rods, will not improve your casting accuracy. However as Sam mentions above, having confidence in a golf club or rod will make a difference.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2017 06:07AM

I am sure glad I don't use the most accurate rod when I fish because if I did I would have one less excuse.

Posted by: Gib Portwood (208.88.204.---)
Date: March 23, 2017 12:44PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I often read about a certain blank or rod being
> more "accurate" than others. Rifles with shot-out
> barrels will become less accurate - change point
> of impact - but I can't see how accuracy applies
> to fishing poles? No two rods will cast the same,
> but doesn't one rod continue to cast in the same
> direction while a competent caster adjusts to its
> "point of impact"? It's a poor workman who blames
> his tools.

When I first read this post, I did not entirely get what was being asked or what was being implied. And the first few responses kind of led me to the belief that the discussion was going in a different direction than what I wanted to follow, so I just ignored the thread as new posts were made. Then, I notice that it has grown to 2 pages, and I'm wondering what I'm missing!? ;)

Anyways, we are still so new to rod building that I don't always understand or get what people imply or even say (type) here. We don't even know yet who all the different "players" are in the industry (who all the manufacturers are of blanks, thread, epoxy, guides, etc). We don't have a history with the marketing hype over the years. We don't know about repairing rods from 10 years ago. Etc. Etc. We, almost always, read a topic with the perspective of "how does this apply (or help us) with buying components, assembling them, and completing new bass rods (mostly casting rods but some spinning set ups too and eventually a spiral rod)?

I am still very much learning and interested to hear from folks here about the differences in the various components and tools that are used to build such rods. i.e. What are the quantifiable differences between blanks of a similar length, power, action, etc between manufacturers A, B, C, D, and so on? Same for real seats, guides, threads, Epoxies, thread finishes, wrappers, tensioners.... how can I compare similar components to one another and what am I looking for to separate the contenders from the pretenders? What are the trade offs? What are plusses and minuses.... hopefully you get what I am saying.

Without trying to completely change the topic of the thread and really open up Pandora's box, I would like to see if I can get any discussion started on what I saw being asked in the original post (or maybe what I wanted to be answered).

There is "hype" about certain blanks being more accurate than others. Rifle barrels can lose accuracy over time, but that analogy doesn't apply to blanks because casting accuracy is largely a result of user capability and inputs compared to any "capability" of the blank or rod (with little, if any, noticeable degradation of the blank over time). With the understanding that different rods have different casting characteristics, is "accuracy" even a consideration when selecting one manufacturer's blank vs another's of the similar type? What PERFORMANCE factors can I measure or look at to compare blanks of similar type from the different manufacturers?

I'm all for experimenting and trying out different items. However, we don't have the budget yet to just sample, sample, sample for the sake of experimenting. Over time, we will try everything and see what we like or don't like. Right now, right here in this thread, I'm looking to speed up our learning curve while avoiding stepping on a rake or two, in order to learn if there are quantifiable characteristics to consider when choosing one manufacturer's blank over another? And if there are, what are they?

The answer may just be a simple, "similar blanks are the same (or similar enough) regardless who builds them. Choose based on what you've had the best experience with. Or choose based on price and who has the best sale at the time." That's fine if that is the answer. I just want to know that! It seems that things like ERN and AA and all the other Common Cents topics would really come into play here and be the secret to comparing blanks? But it appears that any "breakthrough moments" from the CCS coming out in 2003 have largely died down (other than maybe as it relates to fly rods), because no one is keeping track of or reporting any current CCS info for non-fly rod blanks.

So, in summary: how to compare similar blanks from different manufacturers? Is the CCS a good method to help do that? And even though it is stylistically poor to add new information in a closing paragraph: If the CCS provides worthwhile information to help compare blanks (or even to observe the changes in blank characteristics over time), is anyone interested in keeping track of CCS info for non-fly blanks? I'm willing to step out and volunteer to organize, keep track of, and make available such information to the public if enough people are willing to provide the CCS data for the blanks that they purchase.

For those that have taken the time and have the patience to read this message in its entirety and offer up their thoughts, I am both impressed and grateful. :)

Thanks,
Gib

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 03:13PM

Yes, CCS is valuable for all rods, and I think the interest in it is growing. More brands are providing data, and more people on forums are familiar with it and getting better at trading data. Others have tried to collect and publish data, and it is, I believe, a monumental task. Which is why they usually do it for a while, then give it up. Just consider how many blank models there are. Are you ready for that?

The search function on this forum is good for getting impressions from other builders on components/supplies/etc, but if you're asking for some kind of a data base that will objectively compare all this stuff, good luck with that. You have to ask in whose interest would it be to have all the data published, much of it obsolete as the stuff is replaced by new stuff. It is not in the interest of those who might have the data, the manufacturers, and they don't need the (also) monumental job of compiling it and publishing it.

Having said that, more and more guide makers are publishing the specs that we use the most, like heights and weights.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 07:04PM

Gib, you are correct, your post is a subject in to it's self, and as mentioned by Micheal a large involved project. If you are still interested, it would be appropriate to start a new thread on the subject.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (---.spok.qwest.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 07:38PM

Maybe the OP is referring to something they read regarding blank twist? A certain company states that by using a particular wrap design in the construction of their blanks, it transfers energy more efficiently, in turn improving casting accuracy. I also watched a video from a particular blank company that mentions less energy and momentum is required on the back swing to load the rod, improving accuracy yet still achieving the same distance with each and every cast. Definitely a nice little sales pitch. I'm not even sure how you would measure this.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster