I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping two threads at once on a guide
Posted by: Wes Woods (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 05:23PM

So currently on my guides I have been doing a one thread accent about 5 wraps apart times 3.
I have another custom rod where John did two threads together in the middle of the guide wrap.
What I am confused about is how to get that started.
Do I just cut a piece of thread with two tag ends and wrap it with the main thread or is there another way to get the second thread started and anchored?
This may be a stupid question but I cant wrap my head around it.
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping two threads at once on a guide
Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 05:37PM

Look on line for Trim Bands or Thread inlays. There are lots of different examples of how to do them. Look in the Library, I think there may also be an article or two in there on trim bands.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 06:12PM

Wes,
Robert has great advice.

[www.youtube.com]

But, to put it simply - if you want to put inlays in the middle of the wrap, take a piece of trim thread and tape down each end - long enough to be able to complete the wrap.
I then start the main wrap, and after 4 or 5 turns, pick up the end of that end of the trim thread and snip it off close to the main wraps. Then, I pull the trim wrap thread a touch so that the end of the trim wrap is hidden, then I continue with the main wrap until I get to the first trim location. Then, I untape the end of the trim wrap from the tip end of the rod, and make the trim wrap and then, while holding the trim wrap tight, go and wrap a few more main wraps to lock the thread down.
Then, continue as desired to complete the wrap.

Good luck

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 06:12PM

Here you go:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Wes Woods (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 06:57PM

Thanks that is a very good video.
Similar to what I was doing but I certainly should be able to perfect my technique now.
The tricky part IS pulling bag on the inlay thread.
Also much easier on the wider part of the blank.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 07:43PM

Wes

There are a couple other ways to start an inlaid turn or turns that do not require a tag end to be pulled under preceding wraps. But once you get the feel for pull as shown in the video, I think it's the easier means to consistently good results.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 09:07PM

Wes,
I don't know what you use for a pull thread.

But, if you haven't tried it - try using 10 lb braided fishing line for the pull thread, along with a small bead to keep track of the pull thread and to also give a handle on the pull thread for easy pulling.

The braided fishing line is very slick and small diameter and easily slides through guide wraps with minimum trouble.

Be safe

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 07:29PM

An important step that you may have not thought about is measuring and making each guide identical/symetrical.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 07:01AM

I havent tried multiple threads yet, but I did something a bit different for my trim wrap. Tape a toothpick to the blank close to your wrap. Then cut off a long enough piece of thread that will suffice for your wrap. Then wrap the thread around the section where the tooth pick is. Slip the tail ends of the thread back under the wraps, make sure to pull the thread through from the same end that it is on otherwise you will have overwrap. Pull the tag ends until you get close wraps to the toothpick, but not too much. Take off the toothpick. Push the wraps closer to your threadwrap. Pull the tag ends until snug against blank. Burnish unitl satisfied.

I found a video for this but I dont remember the think for it. I found it on youtube when searching 'trim bands.' You could probably repeat the same steps for multiple bands. I found this much easier than attempting to wrap multiple threads at the same time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster