I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide recommendations for ARE 11' 6/7 switch as a CP rod
Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 07:41PM

I am planning to build on an Anglers Roost 11' 6/7wt switch blank as a centerpin rod. The blank actually CCS tests out as a 7.8 wt, and I expect it to be able to handle lines in the 10-17 lb range.
Can anyone recommend guide size, number and a starting point for spacing? I build fly and spey rods, but this will be my first CP build. Also, do CP builders do static testing to determine final guide placement?
Any help will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide recommendations for ARE 11' 6/7 switch as a CP rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: March 16, 2017 09:48AM

I'd rate that blank as a 6 - 10 lb. line centerpin, maybe even a 4 - 8. The power is in the 1 power steelhead blank range. If you look in the search function I bet you'll find all the info you need as far as guide sizes. I static distribution test these rods to place the guides. 20 - 12 - 8 flys to the tip works well in all weather conditions, if your not in hard, cold weather during the winter you can go a bit smaller on the fly guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 10:44AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 11:13AM

Yup. It looks light for a West Coast pin rod. For larger rivers you want to toss at least 20-25g floats, and this blank will max out around 15g.
For great lakes or east coast rivers it should be a great solution.
The XST1383F Rainshadow blank has ERN: 10.0, AA: 66 for reference and it's about as light as I would go for wst coast steelhead, for example.

Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 02:55PM

Much appreciated. Will check out some of the XST blanks.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 03:30PM

I built a spey conversion to pin rod using a (discontinued) Batson RX6 11'6" 6/7wt 4pc F1166.7 blank and it works great, flexing right into the butt.
ERN:10.16 AA: 68
I would look for something similar if you are looking for a 4pc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster