I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod for big jerkbaits?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2017 07:43PM

What would be a good blank for jerkbaits in the 1.5 to 2 ounce range?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod for big jerkbaits?
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2017 11:56PM

[rodgeeks.com]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 12:04AM

Marty,
You didn't give us much to go on, what species, from boat or shore, etc. I myself have found that rod lengths over 6 1/2 ft. are more work than they are worth. For peacock bass, and big plugs the 6 ft. 2 in. travel rod Rainshadow designed was phenominal. They also made a 7 ft. version, but I know no one who used both that didn't say the 7 ft. version didn't wear them out.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.dhcp.hcrk.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 07, 2017 08:15AM

Spencer, not trying to parse the sentence, but wanted to make sure I understand the two negatives there. Are you saying that everybody who use the 7ft version said it was still manageable? Or did it wear them all out?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: March 07, 2017 09:16AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding, the 7 ft. version was fine for many other lures, but a real workout, both in casting and retrieving those big plugs when compared to the shorter rod. The same thing seem to happen a lot with jerkbaits in general, I much prefer a short gripped 6, or 6 1/2 ft. rod, that doesn't hit my arm during the presentation like a long grip does.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: March 07, 2017 09:59AM

Spencer has a very key point here: I personally design my rod handles on jerk baits to end before the elbow joint. This prevents the butt of the handle from hitting your elbow and ribs when working the bait. On my other rods I prefer the handle to extend right too my elbow when holding the rod in my normal bait working position. This is one of the areas that makes a custom rod custom and an advantage we have over store bought rods. The length of handle would vary depending on where you grip the rod. I prefer 6'6" rods as well as longer rods have a tendency to hit the trolling motor and gunnels and the boats.

DG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster