I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix SCIV blanks
Posted by: Tucker Jacobson (---.linksnacks.com)
Date: March 01, 2017 09:54AM

Hello,

I will start this by saying I don't want to start an argument with this question, so here goes.

I'm wondering what it is that everyone loves about the Croix SCIV blanks. They cost more than "average" for either the blank or finished rod, but in comparing fairly similar blanks, the blank weights on them are not much lighter, or at all lighter than blanks costing much much less.

Last year I built a 7'6" ML MHX Hot Shot blank that was advertised at 2.0 ounces - priced at about $70 I think. A 7'6" MLXF SCIV blank is advertised at 1.9 oz and $155. It isn't perfect apples to apples, but in comparing other relatively similar blanks, the SCIV do not seem to be a lighter blank than many others at 1/2 the cost.

So, if the draw to spending more on these blanks isn't physical blank weight, what is it? Action, durability? Something else? Just curious to hear your opinions.

Tucker

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix SCIV blanks
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 10:02AM

Many like them because they are built in the US. I like them because they are predictably good blanks. I've never had a disappointment with any grade of St. Croix blank. From what I've heard, their customer service is about as good as it gets.

There are, of course, many other good blanks available. We are very fortunate to have the almost unbelievable selection of rod-building components provided by companies that also have very good customer service. We can @#$%& about the price, but bottom line, we can make just about any rod we want to with what's available to us. And St Croix is a significant player with high quality and great variety of product.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: March 01, 2017 10:11AM

St.Croix is my go to blank and yes they have exceptional customer service. Comparing st.croix to st.croix I prefer the sc4 and sc3 as opposed to sc5 and sc2, the sc5 seem more unfriendly to misuse and sc2 are a little heavy for me.

That being said I generally select the best blank for the application I intend to use it for; if that is a mhx blank then that is what I am buying or recommending (Mudhole has great customer service as well). Being familiar with blanks will help, I find that some mhx blanks are faster than the same rated St.Croix blanks, in some applications this might be a positive or a negative. Get what suits your application best for the price range you need to met.

DG

Date: March 01, 2017 11:11AM

It has been my experience that St Croix blanks are very consistent and their ratings are very "predictable," meaning that once you get the St Croix descriptions understood, all their blanks will fit into those descriptions consistently. That is not always the case with some others.

It also has been my experience that when St Croix says a blank is "medium" power, it is most likely a little more powerful than blanks from others that are called "medium"l power. Which might explain why their SCIV weights may seem a little high. The blank is most likely a little more powerful than the one you're comparing it to.

I would have to concur with Dan about the SCIV being the sweet spot, in spite of the fact that 4 of my builds of SCV70MF blanks have been in service for up to 9 years without a failure. I own one, and it is my favorite for tubes and jigs like swim jigs.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: March 01, 2017 11:15AM

And adding to Michael the sc5 are great blanks, I have not had one fail due to defect. However, they do not like hitting the gunnel or trolling motor when jerkbait fishing, the sc4 and SC3 are more forgiving in that scenario.

DG

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 12:00PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with MHX blanks, they are a very good buy and compare favorably with blanks costing much more. In addition, the MHX warranty is exceptional, just mail them the small sections above and below the break, the filled out warranty form, and $15 for shipping and handling, and they send you a new blank no problems no hassles. These short blank sections fit in a small padded envelope, so you do not need to send the broken blank back with it's high shipping costs. Does not get much better than that. Just make sure you register your blank.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 12:19PM

Tucker,

All of the St. Croix blanks are consistently good. Generally speaking, my blank of choice from St. Croix is the SC-5. I just appreciate the over all feel, weight and performance of this grade blank.

Take care

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 05:15PM

St. Croix has always been a step better, for me, in one "hard to qualify area".....sensitivity. I also feel they are the epitome of "spin jig" action. Reckon I should mention I fish salt water so I'm mostly using SC2 and SC3. As far as weight.....an honest blank maker once told me, "If bass rods had to deadlift their rating people wouldn't buy them because they would weigh too much." Maybe St. Croix is simply more honest?

If you can buy at wholesale the price isn't so bad:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 01, 2017 05:31PM

Russell, nice to hear from you , has been a while. I always enjoy your insight.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 01:47PM

I have no affinity for St Croix. I've never fished a St Croix rod. I'm 50 years old, and have been fly fishing for 18 years. I started rod building 15 years ago. My budget is limited, i search for bargains, with an occasional splurge.

I too have always wondered about the love for St Croix. My guess is that most who love the brand have been using it for a long time, probably longer than the cheaper imported QUALITY blanks have been available, so St Croix has the market presence and quality consistency built up over time. Toss in good customer service, well that leads to brand loyalty. And like Michael mentioned, they are made in the USA. That can cement loyalty. Now I do not KNOW if ALL of their blanks are US-made, but that is the perceived situation. And those elements, quality consistency over time and the perceived US build, whether true or false, is enough to build a great reputation and keep St. Croix at the top in many minds. When one fishes with St Croix, i imagine pride comes into play as well.

This can make other brands without all of those elements appear secondary, though in performance they might be equal or even better.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 02:31AM

Tucker,
Weight and price isn't everything, if the hot shot blank your mentioning is the one I'm thinking of from MHX, the St. Croix is not similar, it's head and shoulders a better design and execution.
I've not used as many MHX blanks as I originally intended as the first ones I bought in the early years didn't hold up well. Blank replacement and fast customer service never a problem. Just don't like redos, especially more than once.

Posted by: Don Austin (147.129.157.---)
Date: March 06, 2017 04:20PM

SC customer service is absolutely amazing. Haven't built on an SC blank yet, but I own 5 of their rods. I've called their customer service at least 3 or 4 times with semi-random questions and they talk to you like a long lost friend. And yeah, that whole "Made In America" thing stands for something in my book. My father worked in manufacturing for 34 years until his job was sent to Asia. I feel a sense of pride in buying American Made whenever possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster