I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sizing reduction train
Posted by: Trace Butkovich (107.77.97.---)
Date: February 26, 2017 11:45PM

Ok guys one more question, I'm building a 8'6" spinning rod. The reel I'm using is a shimano stradic ci4+ 3000 with 15# braid. The question I have is sizing the reduction train, I read the guide article in the library but in order to do it the way it suggests it seems I would have to have extra guides laying about which I don't. I would like to use the KL guides from fuji's k series. Not the tall frame small ring ones mainly because I like the looks better. For running guides I'm thinking on trying the 4.5 KTs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sizing reduction train
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2017 05:58AM

Trace
If you will go the Anglers Resource page ( [anglersresource.net] )
and read the articles on:
Guide placement software-- including the link to the "Reel measurement tutorial" at the bottom of the page.
KR gps
Static load tutorial
Theory of the New Guide Concept (NGC)
Theory of the KR Concept.

You will have most if not all of the information you seek

Date: February 27, 2017 09:08AM

I've done that but can only use the KR concept gps and not the NGC gps. For the K series it gives me sizes for the KL-H guides the ones I would prefer not to use. Maybe I could compare guide heights on there sizing chart? Do you think that would work?

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 10:10AM

They are two different software set ups.

[anglersresource.net] for NGC set ups with ALL Fuji guides except KL-H

[anglersresource.net] for KL-H guides used to set up KR Concept spinning rods ONLY. No other guides.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 12:08PM

The regular KL guides are used the same way as would be used to set up a NGC using the Fuji NGC GPS, which does not work with my IPad, or Iphone. Another option would be to do a hybrid setup using KL guides in a KR concept. For example, KL25, KL16, and KT10 are the same height as KL16H, KL8H, and KL5.5M, and could be used in a three guide reduction train. KL25, KL16, KL12 and KT8, are the same height as KL16H, KL8H, KL6M, and KL5.5L, and could be used in a four guide reduction train. In either case, if you want to you could a larger runner or two to transition to your KT4.5 runners. Your ci4+ 3000 reel is the same size as the ci4+2500, just holds more line. This reel will work fine with these guide trains. Looking for a nice straight line from the bottom of the spool through the reduction train, and other straight line from choke to tip top. If needed can push the stripper and reduction guides slightly forward, I.e., from 19" to 20" or 21". Pushing the stripper slightly forward accomplishes the same thing as using a slightly larger stripper. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 08:05PM

Norman, you are always a wealth of information.
Trace, if you are planning on using 4.5 micro runners, I do not understand your objection to keeping the entire guide train consistent with use of KL-Hs and the benefit of rapid choking verses larger ringed KLs. But then I suppose I’m guilty as well by using KL-Hs with size 6 or 7 runners to accommodate my old eyes and fossilized fingers.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 27, 2017 08:08PM

Hey thank you guys! That's just what I was looking for Norman. Now do you think there choker point layout would still work or the 27 times layout be better?

Date: February 27, 2017 08:17PM

The resin for the kl instead of kl-h is mainly because i like the look of the kl better then the kl-h probably terrible reasoning but is it harder to use micros with the new guide concept?

Date: February 27, 2017 08:36PM

Trace use the KR GPS just substitute the appropriate KLs for the KL-H. Use the choke pt given in the KR GPS, which will be about 48" from the spool tip.
Norm

Date: February 27, 2017 08:55PM

Ok thank you.

Date: February 27, 2017 08:57PM

The NGC traditionally used size 6 runners, but there is no reason why smaller runners cannot be used. If you like a certain style of guides then use them. This is yet another example of what makes a custom rod custom. Be sure to test cast to make sure it meets your expectations. I am certain it will perform very well.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster