I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light weight guides.
Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 11:24AM

In looking at a few, mid grade, rods that I use and they have heavy insert guides. My feeling is that the rods can be crisper and more sensitive with light weight guides, I put in an order for a bunch of Minima guides to try on a couple of these rods. Are there comments on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light weight guides.
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 11:58AM

Remove the old guides and rewrap with the minima guides. Much lighter and will change the entire personality of the rod. The rod will feel crisper and more responsive. I assume you are asking about spin rods per your other posts. If these are spin rods, use the minima M guides for the reduction train (16M, 8M, 5M; or 20M, 10M, 5M), and minima F guides as runners. As I have mentioned before, I like size 4 runners. Set up as a KR concept. The entire set will weigh less than your ceramic stripper currently being used.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 01:40PM

The minima guides is well known to be an excellent long lasting very light guide.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 01:45PM

If you are dealing with a slow rod blank do not expect changing guides will turn it into a crisp, fast action rod.

Date: February 11, 2017 02:25PM

As Phil says, but will certainly take a lot of the sloppiness out of the blank giving it lighter, crisper and more responsive feel. I have done this more than once and it works!

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2017 06:24PM

I like and use the minima guides.

When you first built the rod you had some expectation of its performance and after using it you developed a "feel" for the rod and compensated for its inherent characteristics and any short comings.
Now if you change out the guides the characteristics of the rod will be different than the original build and will take on a new personality. At this point you have to start over and develop the new "feel" for this rod and adjust for its new characteristics and short comings. Hopefully it will meet your expectation.
In any event it will be a good project and will result in expanding your knowledge and experience.
Go for it!
Good luck!

John

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 06:32PM

Thanks for the assurance. The first rod I'm going to do is a fast action ML I use for trout and redfish with 10 or 15 lb braid. I'll report back when I finish it in a week or two.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2017 08:23PM

They make them in titanium frames also, I picked up and compared an exact set of each, a very noticable difference in weight.

Date: February 11, 2017 08:30PM

Spencer, which titanium frame did you try? The titanium chrome or the titanium Ti black.? Been thinking about the Ti black but seems a little expensive.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: February 11, 2017 08:41PM

Norm,
The ones I have are the natural Ti frame with the chrome ring, didn't know there was now another option.

Date: February 11, 2017 09:29PM

The titanium TiBlack came out last year, and are a minima 4. The titanium chrome is a minima 3. A nine guide set (20M, 10M, 5M, and six 4Fs) plus tip top top in the TiTi Black costs $56.80, and the Ti chrome costs $27.60. The chrome stainless costs $10.70. Big differences! The stainless chrome set is extremely light and the titanium chrome set weighs next to nothing.
Norm

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2017 08:40AM

Don't overlook the Air Wave guides from American Tackle, light weight plus the Doug Hannon novel stripper guide. Competitively priced with the Minima guides. I have used both and will continues to do so but prefer the Air Wave due to the Hannon stripper guide.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Tim I. Johnson (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: February 12, 2017 09:22AM

Alex,
It will make a very noticeable difference, I have two identical higher end rods that I show to people, one wrapped as it came from the factory, and one rewrapped with an Airwave stripper, followed by a size 7M minima, then size 5 microwave ceramic choke guide and TITI minima size 3 to the tip with a size 4 ceramic tip top (all black guides) and people are amazed at the difference, much crisper feel to this set up, the lower the power, and slower the action of the rod being rewrapped, the more noticeable the change is. If asked about using different guides (mfg, ring material, style, ect.) I always answer that that is what custom is about, the best choice of component for that particular guide......You cant swap the front left tire with the right rear tire on a nascar like I can on my wifes Honda CRV, it's custom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster