I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Very disappointed poor rod building
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt1.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: November 15, 2001 03:16AM

Hi guy's. Since I have started building rods in the past year I have become more critical of all rods now. Just this morning I disassembled a rod built for my boss. It was trashed ,so I wanted to check workmanship. It was an All Star blank with unknown guide and seat manufacture. It broke six inches from the seat and splintered bad. Also had a missing tip top. I was going to try to salvage the guides for future repairs but the feet are purple from overheating during prep and a very sloppy prep. I easily twisted the butt cap off and can reuse that, no sign of use at all !!! Then I twisted the real seat loose with very little effort. When I removed it, I found cardboard tubing was used as a bushing and no prep to the blank. Also a small split ring was placed finish to act as a hook keeper. This rod was just purchased a year ago and I don't know who to be sad for. My boss, who spends thousands $$$ yearly in tackle and rods and ended up with that cheap rod or the guy who built it!
By the way ,I now have an All Star ice fishing rod!!!
I just wanted to share this
Mark Schulte

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Very disappointed poor rod building
Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 15, 2001 04:27AM

Question did your boss have this rod built for himself????

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: November 15, 2001 08:05AM

Now's your chance to earn Brownie points!!! If he is spending G's on tackle, then it is safe to assume he does a lot of fishing, right? Build him a nice rod - this will do 2 things. A - Your next raise will be better. B - He will advertise your rods for you without even knowing it. Since you're just starting (Me 2) - this would get your work out into the public eye, depending on where he fishes and if he is in a club.

My 2 cents. Billy

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 15, 2001 05:20PM

Mark,
This probably means you are graduating up in the scale of 'critiquing' because you know custom is better and you know why.

The cheaper way of installing reel seats with skimping on bonding agents or arbors, is fairly standard, although I have seen first hand improvements this past spring visiting a major rod manufacturer. I was actually suprised and impressed by the proprietary use of their better reel seat filling and bonding. Something I may consider in my own rodbuilding down the road. Many rod companies, and some builders, can be deficient in the mounting of reel seats. Wait till someone I know reads this and weighs in about fixing many mucho reel seats. John???

Also, amazing how a simple application of a good quality hookeeper can impress customers with a custom rod over a cheap idea as you describe on the 'disapointing' rod.

Even the choice of guides may be well and good, it still amazes me how the wrapping and finish application is just basic. Custom rodbuilders can impress with a better wrap (security wrap for instance) and use of better epoxies, and most of all the better tweaking of guide placement for performance. One can also bet the rod never had the spine utilized for optimum use, nor any variation from 'rubber stamped' guide placement that would better tweak a rod built custom.

I've even seen fairly severe lack of workmanship in 'custom rods' such as tape instead of thread to hold the guide. Yes, tape and then epoxied over. The guide will last about one cast with this method. Other horrors are uncured finishes, misalignment of handles allowing moisture to build, use of extremely poor quality blanks with perhaps good quality components to mask the deficiency. Pretty thread art can't cover poor performance. Choice quality and choice workmanship go to make up a 'QUALITY' custom rod.
One can hardly rescue one of these poor shows into a decent ice rod most times, consider yourself lucky with the all star ice rod special.

Rich

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2001 06:24PM

Rich don't get me started with the reel seats,I think Florida is the home to 90% of the mass produced" custom rods",how anyone with normal intelegince can walk into a store see 50 identical rods on racks and buy one because it says "Custom" I'll never know but buy them they do,only benefit is great for the repair business.Now with cooler weather approaching the reel seats are remaining attached a little longer,have to wait for the Spring before it starts all over again.One good aspect of doing repairs is it allows you to see how others foul up and hopefully prevent you from making the same mistakes.To be absolutley up front about it most of the better mass produced rods do make every effort to produce a good quality rod and even have some very talented people to watch over the production insuring quality control.What have I found under reel seats,carboard tubes ,wood, cord, masking tape ,thread, and nothing meaning quite often someone forgets you need a little adhesive to keep the arbors in place.Now some of the above items are used quite frequently and with good results but adhesive is needed and I don't want to be profane I'll just say I have no idea at times what type of material they use but there is rarely very much of it.
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster