I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing wraps - over-run
Posted by: Sean Tate (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 09:12PM

I know it is a matter of personal taste (and some functionality) as to whether we apply our final finish to the thread only, or also over run it onto the blank.

When working with cane, what would be your choice? I notice that many of the wraps I look at closely seem to have just the smallest possible margin of finish on the cane, unlike graphite rods. Is that a function of the finish itself, i.e. by applying it to the threads does it naturally spill over, or is there some technique to acheiving the smallest margins?

Sean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing wraps - over-run
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 15, 2001 08:30AM

A steady hand will allow you to just barely extend the finish onto the blank - and you should - it will seal the ends of the threads and keep out moisture.

Many bamboo rods are dipped in their entireity after the guides have been wrapped and finished. Thus, there is no apparent overlap of the finish onto the blank, but it is there. In fact, the final product has a finish extending end to end. See the current issue of RodMaker for more info on how to do this.

Re: Finishing wraps - over-run
Posted by: Sean Tate (216.161.55.---)
Date: November 15, 2001 01:16PM

Working with a Leonard Duracane Blank - impregnated, so it wont be dipped. Sorry - should have mentioned that. Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster