I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power wrapper
Posted by: Matt Wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2017 07:22PM

I've really gotten into ice rods and enjoy building them. Am I crazy to look at a power wrapper to help spin these little rods? I've been kicking it around but is it worth my money and is it beneficial for ice and regular rods? I've been using the crb hand wrapper from mud hole but curious if the power wrapper will be better? I don't want to lose my control I feel I have today.

If you have a thought please share! I am a rookie at this so I appreciate the help!

Matt Wright
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow my rod building adventures on Instagram at
JAMM Custom Rods!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power wrapper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2017 07:28PM

For wrapping guides? I wouldn't think it would aid you by much. The blanks are small diameter, guides are small and have short feet. You can wrap one by hand in 30 seconds. Not much time to be saved.

A machine might offer other more valuable options such as for turning handles, etc., but not likely to be a great time saver in terms of wrapping guides on these type rods.

Posted by: Matt Wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2017 08:01PM

Yes I was thinking guides. i haven't got into spinning handles...yet!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2017 08:42PM

I agree with Tom. When building my wrapper, I thought the power aspect was a necessity but learned differently. Although very nice to have a power wrapper for long under wraps or a tiger wrap and such, 95% of the time I hand wrap due to picking-up and dropping threads constantly while wrapping my guides. As Tom said, if you are planning on purchasing a power wrapper, buy one with a good, powerful motor to afford the ability to turn grips as well as thread wraps.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 05, 2017 08:46PM

Unless you're selling them at a rapid pace I would say no. That said, I'm a hobby builder and I build 7 ft. rods on a hand wrapper sometimes turned by my own (crude) inventions.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2017 09:03PM

Matt,
In contrast to the other comments, I will not build a rod without using a power wrapper.

When I first started building rods, I wrapped one rod by hand and said to myself, "There has to be a better way."

So began my quest for the ultimate power wrapper that would satisfy my needs. I ended up building many different power wrappers over the years. They all worked. Some worked better than others.

However, the current power wrapper that I use today utilizes a DC gear motor to turn the head stock. The DC gear motor is powered by a DC power supply with an internal speed control. The internal speed control can be controlled by a dial, or by a foot pedal. Also, the power supply has a reversing switch to allow me to reverse the motor to correct any mistakes that might happen to be made on the rod.

I can be wrapping a rod. I can have a guide 1/2 wrapped and get called away. I simply lift my foot from the foot pedal of the wrapper, turn off the power supply and walk away from the wrapper and out of the shop. When it comes time to continue, I sit down, flip on the switch, put my foot on the pedal and pick up where I left off.

Whether it is a micro guide or a macro guide on a surf rod, the power wrapper makes it easier for me. I also never have any wrist ache from spinning a rod, and never have issues with uneven or loose or too tight thread. Simply put - it just works.

If you have any questions about a power wrapper and some guides on construction, just drop me an e-mail and I will be happy to give you some notes.

hflier@comcast.net

Take care
Roger

Date: January 05, 2017 09:12PM

Remember, he is talking specifically about ice rods in regards to saving time with a power wrapper.

Posted by: Jon Salter (---.sub-174-200-1.myvzw.com)
Date: January 05, 2017 09:17PM

Like others said wrapping ice rods maybe not but me personally I love the power wrapper, for me it keeps the rod secure and keeps my hands free. I now use it for finishing so I can stop the spinning, although a slip clutch would do the job and plan on getting one soon. Oh and I'm a rookie too...I'm on my 3rd build.

Date: January 06, 2017 12:39AM

Yes,
I am aware that he is speaking of ice fishing rods.

As far as I am concerned, whether it is a long, medium or short rod - with a many large guides or a few small guides, I will only use a power wrapper to wrap the rods.

I suspect that some folks don't use a power wrapper that they might have on hand because the power wrapper does not give them the control that they feel that they can have with hand wrapping.

I believe that if they used a power wrapper that would give them the control that they achieve with hand wrapping that they would switch exclusively to power wrapping.

But, certainly use the method that suits you for doing any job - including wrapping rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2017 01:19AM

Roger is an ingenious, veteran fabricator in many fields, electronics in particular. When the time comes to graft a foot pedal to my power wrapper, I will employ his vast knowledge and experience to produce one for me. The other point being made is a power wrapper is more of a luxury than a necessity. Acquire the experience, materials, and essential tools of rod crafting before indulging in top-notch equipment.
<<< YOU GOTTA BE GOOD BFORE YOU CAN BE FAST >>>

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: January 06, 2017 09:53AM

I have a power wrapper that I built from an old sewing machine motor. It works really well when I use it, but to be honest, I still wrap most of my rods by hand. I don't make that many, maybe 10 or 12 a year, but hand wrapping to me is like using hand tools to make furniture. It gives me the feel of the work piece.

But that's just me and I am pretty old. :-)

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: January 06, 2017 12:08PM

I wrap all rods by hand, however every time I use an under wrap on a surf rod or long boat rod I wish I wasn't doing it by hand. I do use a lathe for turning but the big advantage of a power wrapper is that with the right set-up you can eliminate the need for a separate lathe, if you have space issues.

DG

Date: January 06, 2017 01:50PM

Ice rods.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2017 12:49AM

Matt, you answered your own question with one of the last sentences in your opening post. You don't want to lose the control you feel you have today.

That doesn't mean you don't have control with a power wrapper. I've never used one, but I've seen Youtube videos with people using them, and I'm sure people like Roger and the others that have posted here have good control over them.

Since I've never built an ice rod I can only guess (with a reasonable amount of certainty) that wrapping an ice rod is like wrapping the upper third of a longer 6'6" - 7' rod, but with less guides.

Tom is making a very valid point ....... it's an ice rod. If you're talking about strictly wrapping guides, how much "better" is a power wrapper going to be?

Date: January 07, 2017 12:52AM

David,
Particularly when wrapping ice rods - especially the rods that have hair like tips are wonderful to wrap with a power wrapper.

When working on these very flexible pieces of blank - it is nice to have both hands free to work with the blank and guide as you wrap and let your foot worry about starting and stopping the rod during a wrap.

Take care

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 02:18AM

Roger,
You are the man. The DC allows you to do reverse. You made my day, I had already thought of that but now I see someone doing it. You have inspired me. Thank You Sir I may PM sometime.
Lance

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 03:39AM

If you can get an old line winder from a sport shop for a few bucks you have the foot control and a reversible motor make your own chuck or chucks one for wrapping and another for turning and your good to go.
even in my hey days of building I still preferred the control of hand wrapping as versed the power wrapper.
for my power wrapper instead of using the plastic straw or tubes for wrapping I use a ceramic fly tying bobbin the spool spreader on it is great for maximum control in your hand.
It is builders choice hand or power what ever your most comfortable with!!

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2017 05:03AM

Roger, that is an excellent point !!!

I must have blacked out and forgotten how much trouble I have (I do a lot of cursing lol) when wrapping guides over the upper third of the blank. Especially the tip top.

Maybe I'm getting senile in my advancing years. lol I take back what I said in my earlier post !!!

And now I'm going to go look at power wrappers LOL

Date: January 07, 2017 12:08PM

David,
A link to a power wrapper head unit that I made a few years ago. DC gear motor, reversing switch, foot pedal as well as dial for speed control:

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 12:11PM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster