I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ceramic Fly Guides
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 08, 2016 04:19PM

I am building a Sage 9' 10wt 4pc rod and will be using 12 Fuji KW 20, KW 12, L 8 and nine more L 6 running guides with a 6 Arowana Tip Top. These are titanium frames and a mix of Torzite and SIC rings. The Torzite has a bit larger ring diameter so I am using them on the 1st stripper and the TT. i am pretty much set on the ring sizes but am wondering on the Guide height of the runners and the choke guide (L 8). Do they need to be higher say like a K frame. Also my intention on the amount of guides is to keep the line as straight as possible and maintain similar mass as the original type of Sage snake guides (Hopkins & Holloway 3s) in the tip. What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ceramic Fly Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2016 04:31PM

I would drop the L8 for starters. It's not going to do anything for you. Replace it with a 6. A lower frame will aid in keeping the rod straight on the forward cast. Under load from a fish, it won't matter. So stick with what you've got provided you know that the 6's will pass your line and any required connections. That would be my only concern and particularly if you are going to be using loop to loop connections. Actual ring opening have gotten larger per size in recent years owing to the fact that the ceramic rings have gotten so much thinner.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 09, 2016 09:39AM

For what it's worth...6s are too small for me in this application. For line weights #9 or above I go up to 7s for the runner and tip top based on my personal experience. As Tom noted, it's all about passing your knots (hopefully outbound and at speed hooked up to something big!).

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2016 11:09PM

Like Bill I used 7s on my 10wt. Which Sage blank are you building?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 03:51AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like Bill I used 7s on my 10wt. Which Sage blank
> are you building?

Sage One 9' and I traded in the Fuji SIC Ti L 6s for 7s on Bill's advice. I originally thought that a 6 would be sufficient because my loop leader connections would go through them but when I began to think about a small line tangle, I realized that perhaps most of them would not get through so a little bit larger diameter would improve the odds and still be small enough to control the line. Spencer , Bill or Tom, how many guides are you using on your 9' 4pc 10wt rods?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 11:18AM

I used 9 guides and so does Sage, the spacing is on their website, bottom of the page, under rodbuilding. They use the guide foot facing the butt as their measuring point, it's all explained there.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 12:36PM

Tom/Bill,
How many guides (total) are you using? I have an idea of what I am going to use but I would like to know what you believe to work best. I am not using Sage's running guide set up and I already came up with a spacing that will work. I do however like the stripper guides set up they recommend but with a different spacing.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 01:18PM

I'm going to catch @#$%& here from some - but I would not use ceramics for running guides especially tip-top. EVER. You will sap the life out of the blank.
What do you expect to gain by overloading the blank??
Less friction - a myth.
Quiter - A myth.
Better casting qualities - just the opposite.
If you like the way it casts overloaded why not just overline the rod. That is what you are doing anyway.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 11, 2016 10:54AM

I don't think guide choice has any effect on casting accuracy, and I expect a 10 wt. rod will be used where casting distance and wind are important factors. Principles of physics, not belief, declare the lighter rod will allow the fly angler to cast further. This does not apply if the fly caster can't double haul effectively, which limits his fly cast to 50' or less in a dead calm and much less in the wind.

Date: December 11, 2016 01:31PM

YES !! - Phil E.
Herb

Date: December 11, 2016 01:31PM

YES !! - Phil E.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 13, 2016 08:55AM

Lance,
Sorry, but I have to agree with Herb.
Atta Boy Herb.
Although you might not think guide weight is a large issue, when mounted at a distance from the center of rod rotation ( the center of the grip ),
The effects are multiplied by the offset distance squared. Each additional guide carries it's own weight penalty. When added they substantially increase the effect of inertia. The rod is casting the guide weight times it's distance squared. Even without any fly line the rod will be slower.
Better to use the lightest guide possible and the fewest possible to reduce blank loading while casting. Make the rod fast and allow it to carry the weight of the fly line as the cast requires.

Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster